Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38038244

A page of original artwork from Hergé's "Explorers on the Moon" has sold at auction for a record €1.55 million.

The 1954 book is regarded as one of Herge's masterpieces.

"It is one of the most important from Herge's postwar period, on the same level as Tintin in Tibet and The Castafiore Emerald," Artcurial's comics expert Eric Leroy said.

Tintin is one of the most recognisable comic book characters ever created.

Translated into 90 languages and selling in excess of 200 million copies, the cartoons remain popular to this day.

johnsolomon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But... why?

I can sort of understand splurging on something out of nostalgia but I've always wondered why some collectors are willing to spend so much. Then again I've never been the type of person to collect anything but notebooks, so...

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
But... why?

I can sort of understand splurging on something out of nostalgia but I've always wondered why some collectors are willing to spend so much. Then again I've never been the type of person to collect anything but notebooks, so...
Probably for the reasons anyone buys art (with a lot of pop culture memorabilia, whether it's 'art' is up for debate, but something hand-drawn by Herge has intrinsic value because of who he was). Partly the desire to own something pretty, partly the expectation that it'll further appreciate in value, partly bragging rights.

johnsolomon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see what you mean xD Especially with the fact that it was physically held and drawn by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.