THE BASTARDS!!!

S.C. Denton

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Stole my work. I wanted to talk about how everyone feels when you see something which is so similar to your own work that it makes you feel that way. I've been writing a series for quite a few years now. It didn't really start out that way. This started as an idea for a novel, and I kept working on it, and working on it, and working on it, but it just never really came to fruition. I knew something didn't quite work. I didn't have the right characters, I felt.

But I have since created the right characters, but have found that now the whole of the work is changed. And I know that it's right. That it is the right direction. But the problem is that each book in the series will essentially function as a stand alone story, novelette, novella, novel itself while being connected to the greater fictional world I'm creating. With the idea that I'll likely bring it all together in a novel trilogy to finish the series.

Okay, doing it this way means that the world I'm creating necessarily has elements of almost everything in existence, it seems, which because of the way my mind works is perfectly fine. I'll get it done eventually. For years I did not see how to tie all the threads together but that's no longer my problem. My problem now is that because of the nature of the way I've chosen to treat this story and how long I've been working on it, there are now so many stories out there so similar to my own work that it has planted the seed of doubt in me. That I wonder should I even be doing it. I see new movies, and books coming out that are so similar as to have almost been plucked from my own head, that it makes me feel like, 'what's the point,' and should I even continue working on this project that has taken me so many years.

By the way, the work itself would be compared to something like a Lord of the Rings, or The Dark Tower Series (not that I'm comparing my writing abilities to either, just that if I manage to bring it off properly it'll be massive and encompassing). In truth one might take the viewpoint of the Dark Tower related works to get closer to describing what I'm trying to do. Where his works were associated on accident because it bled that way from his mind, I have chosen to do this on purpose. And to make it all a part of the same series.

Maybe the question got a bit lost: How do you deal with that feeling? What do you tell yourself to get beyond the doubting moments? Though I do think this project (at least wholly speaking) will be quite a bit different than most. The individual stories themselves will always be subject to this line of questioning, and doubt.

Last edited:

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
So... what are you asking? Are you saying that someone stole your idea, are you saying you're afraid someone will accuse you of stealing someone else's idea? Ideas are a dime a dozen. Twenty people can have the same idea, as evidenced by the number of stories we have out there about a society that makes the routine culling of its population a sporting event.

S.C. Denton

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
When there are so many stories out there so similar, and you know that your story is going to be looked at the same way, (as you said ideas are a dime a dozen), then is there any point to writing it? If you're that twenty-first person out there to write a story similarly themed, because you feel compelled to do so, how do you convince yourself that writing the story isn't a waste of time.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
When there are so many stories out there so similar, and you know that your story is going to be looked at the same way, (as you said ideas are a dime a dozen), then is there any point to writing it? If you're that twenty-first person out there to write a story similarly themed, because you feel compelled to do so, how do you convince yourself that writing the story isn't a waste of time.

It's not a waste of time because you're going to do it better! At least, that's what you tell yourself. The real answer is that while ideas are a dime a dozen, execution is unique. Give three writers the same premise and you'll get three radically different stories in the end. That's why it's hard to sell a story on summary alone, because in the broad strokes of a summary many stories appear identical. It's the fine details of a writer's personal style and sense of plot that make it obviously different. It's also why I don't worry about this, because it's so unlikely someone is going to tell the same story as me, even if they begin with the same idea.

S.C. Denton

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I don't have any real intentions to abandon the work. Since I have not spent any great amount of time communicating with other writers I wondered how you might deal with these thoughts individually. The point for me is to get it finished and know what happens. But after spending so many years on a work that may at least superficially seem so similar to so many other works out there how do you convince yourself of its worth to others. That you should spend the time/effort to try to get it published, etc.

I'm committed to getting it done. It's just I look at the individual works and sometimes wonder should I change this, or take that out, etc. This is so much like this, or that, perhaps I should just eliminate that aspect altogether.

S.C. Denton

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It's not a waste of time, "I'm going to do it better!" It's not a waste of time, "I'm going to do it better!" It's not a waste of time, "I'm going to do it better!"

I thought I might try that on as a mantra.

Of course you're right, but I wonder if the reading public sees it that way. Do they actually differentiate when it's unknown authors? Or do they go, 'well, I've read twelve stories about culling the population in the last two years, not sure if I want to read another one of those.'

How does one go about selling a reader on an idea that the market is pretty much saturated with?

I guess that's a whole other ball of wax. And I realize that if we had that easy answer we could all be household name millionaires.

Namely I did just want to know what you guys tell yourselves in those moments of doubt.

Last edited:

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Explain to your chattering mind that stressing about marketing a not-yet-written series of books is the very definition of resistance and procrastination and you refuse to be swayed by such obvious attempts to produce useless anxiety. Then tell it to STFU, chant your mantra a few times, and go back to writing. Repeat as necessary.

Last edited:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Just as one example, look at the immense popularity of zombie fiction.

There are only so many ways the story can go, right? The virus/infection/disease hits one person, then starts spreading. Ultimately, almost every zombie story out there is about how people deal with the zombies, and the power struggles that occur in the vacuum of civilization that follows. But zombie fiction keeps on selling, and selling, and selling. It keeps selling because people find different ways of telling the story. Different characters with different concerns about life, and how the ZA is going to affect them. Different perceptions of the same event.

My first book was: guy finds child he never knew he had. That's nothing new, right? Story's been told a million times before. Yawn. My twist was that he first thought she was dead. Then he thought she was alive, but couldn't rescue her because he's an ex-con on parole.

Second story: Guy's new girlfriend gets arrested, so he's got to save her, right? Arrested for what? Murder? Wrongfully accused? She's innocent? It's all been done before. But what if the guy is a Christian, all on fire for God, and she's a former stripper?

Find and apply your twist, your own filter on the story. Make your story yours.

Good luck.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, your headline was a bit hot-tempered! I expected something different in this thread... about an actual theft. Glad it wasn't that!

Nonetheless, I know the feeling you describe and I sympathize. This has happened to me a few times. Twice this year. Since finishing my last book this summer, I've had three solid premises come to mind for my next project. Premise 1 is still uncompromised AFAIK. But about one to two months after coming up with premises 2 and 3, I discovered something similar in print, the most recently happening this past week when I learned a best-selling author has recently published a book with my exact premise.

The thing that burns is that the premise is already 'high concept.' It's not just a simple idea that's been successfully told a dozen different ways. For this latest one, there are four distinct items in the basic setup that are identical between my idea and this author's book and are what MAKE it high concept (and not because anyone stole anything). I even explained all this in specifics to my 15yo daughter last night and she was like, "Dang. What are you going to do?" She could see how close it all was. And while this author's work seems to be dystopian and mine would've been fantasy, the premise is so specific that if I wrote mine as I imagined it, I would completely seem to be copying hers, without question. And it's really frustrating.

This is how my mind has processed it: Expletives, sighs, expletives... From the sound of hers, mine would've been so much more sophisticated (arrogant? probably)... Maybe I can still do what I wanted to do--explore the topics I wanted to explore--and just set things up differently. Maybe it will turn out to be for the best, make it a stronger work, less contrived. Or... maybe it's a sign I'm really supposed to write that other idea I had months ago (premise 1), the idea that feels like it's the work of my heart, of my life, the one that most intimidates me... Maybe all my other ideas will just keep getting 'stolen' until I buck up and write the darn thing. But man, I was feeling that fantasy... I hope I'll find a way forward with it eventually.

This happens to writers a fair bit, frankly, from what I've seen on these boards. And if your story is as varied and dynamic as it sounds, it would be nearly impossible for you not to find overlap in other published works. That shouldn't matter much as long as you offer a new twist. But I understand having a scene or elements that you love in your work and then feeling put out when something too eerily similar shows up somewhere else. You just feel you'll never be ahead of the game... that you'll always be changing your stuff or abandoning it. I feel that often.

All I can suggest is to keep dreaming up something new in addition to your beloved series. Try to have more than one egg in your basket at any given time. Best wishes to you.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My book, We Are Legion, is getting a lot of reviews, and a significant number of them compare the book and the ideas therein to previous works by other authors. Some of them go so far as to say I've "ripped off" this or that author (in the two cases where they accused me of this, I actually haven't read the books in question). I can also think of probably a half dozen books that haven't been mentioned, that are as good candidates.

The point is that it doesn't seem to click with anyone that there are a lot of books with the same basic ideas in them. And this is true, not just with SF, but with books in general. In fact, there can be a lot of crossover. For instance, The Martian, Swiss Family Robinson, Castaway, Robinson Crusoe, all have similar themes. Star Wars is a chosen one trope mixed up with a Quest trope, so overlaps with LOTR.

In some genres, such as cozy mysteries (did I get that right?) and romances, certain patterns are actually required, and if you try something different, you may get yourself burned in effigy. People who read zombie books, post-apocalyptic books, vampire books, dystopian books, all know generally what they're getting, but are looking for a new twist or take on the trope.

The point is that there are, depending on how you divvy things up, maybe between one and two dozen different basic ideas for stories. And yet Amazon currently lists literally millions of books currently available. So I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that there just might be some overlap. :rolleyes:

The point is to implement your version with originality, whether fresh new ideas, a twist on the standard, or simply better story-telling.

S.C. Denton

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. I guess I just wanted to say to someone else how I thought probably many of us feel when we see something so similar. Maybe I got a little overzealous with that thread title. But this is what I was talking about that feeling. I'm not a member of a writers group. I have never talked to very many writers through the years, though I had spent some time here in the past and at WD community I never really committed to getting to know everyone.

@ketzel Thanks. Will do. I'm a master at creating anxiety. Worry wart doesn't even begin to describe me.
@cmhbob Zombie stories sure are everywhere, aren't they? Personally I haven't read too many of them. But I guess it's all part of the trending cycle. I do have what I feel is a bit of a twist on the whole.

@RaggedEdge About your premise 1 idea: This is pretty much the way I feel about this work. At the end of the day there will be so much commonality and in some ways purposeful that I may as well call the whole series pastiche, or an homage. Cause that's what it really is. That's what I'd like for it to be. But it doesn't stop those times when I go damn, now I have to go back and take a look at this book and see if I should make any changes due to the similarities. Initially, I wanted to serialize it, (as I went along), but I knew there wasn't going to be a way to do that which would lead to a satisfying result for the readers, or myself.