Romance as a barometer for sociopolitical shifts?

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
I recently came across this really interesting Twitter thread from author Sarah MacLean about how trends within the romance genre ebb and flow in response to social and political shifts. (She didn't specify whether these trends were specific to the US or global.) For example, she cites "The rise of the working heroine (even in historicals)" during the 80s, the popularity of PNR after 9/11 "when it seemed we would need a superhuman hero" to save us, and the "Rise in popularity and choice in lgbtq* romance as queer rights took center stage in the United States & gay marriage was passed."

She predicts that "something big" is coming to romance. In the wake of the recent election, I'm curious as to whether authors and readers here at AW feel the same. Personally, I find myself leaning away from contemporary in favor of historical and SF--in other words, pretty much anything that doesn't remind me of real life.

What do you think? Has the Billionaire bubble finally burst? Are we going to see more lighthearted stories in the coming years or will dark romance become the Next Big Thing?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I wish she would have said what she's writing. She always seems to be on-trend. :poke: Whatever it is, it's probably not what I'm writing (dark suspense). I'm ever and always behind the curve. Maybe because I'm terrible at "bananas" ideas. :(

Last edited:

romance2die4

Registered
Reaction score
If only we had a magic ball! From what I see on Facebook, bad boy themes are hot right now. I haven't seen so much about billionaires lately so I wonder if you are right, and that is in decline. I wonder if it will be end of the world Terminator stuff? How about surviving disasters or terrorist attacks and the hero saves the day with the strong heroine at his side? i can't see the women, who read traditional romance being into that though. It will be interesting to see what does develop.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Liz Pelletier, the CEO and Publisher at Entangled, had a podcast/conference call/something a year or two ago in which she was very clear that they keep a clear eye on the economic situation as a way to anticipate demand and sales. Along the lines of "when times are rough, people want escapist fiction". Now, she followed that up with some truly wack-a-doodle predictions about the economy so I didn't completely trust her business analysis, but just in terms of popular opinion? Definitely seems like at least one person in a position to make book deals sees a connection...

crossword

Registered
Reaction score
Along the lines of "when times are rough, people want escapist fiction".

Yes, that’s what i’ve heard. i’m thinking something positive and full of hope. Romance that is inspiring without being Inspirational Romance or Christian Romance, if you know what I mean.
i’m not familiar with that category. Has anyone written romance that is as I said inspiring without being Inspirational Romance?

Proserpina

Registered
Reaction score
In answer to your questions, StoryofWoe, I am hoping the political situation will mark the beginning of the rise of the Beta Hero. Especially since I've created a story around a pacifist beta with series potential. :e2brows:

StoryofWoe

Registered
Reaction score
In answer to your questions, StoryofWoe, I am hoping the political situation will mark the beginning of the rise of the Beta Hero. Especially since I've created a story around a pacifist beta with series potential. :e2brows:
Me, too! I struggle with writing convincing alpha heroes. Though, I think even alpha heroes fall along a spectrum. Never been a big fan of alpha-holes, but to each their own. Part of me thinks we might see more polarization, with readers coming down firmly in either the super-alpha or beta camps, what with trends skewing toward darker themes.

I would to like to see a rise in several genres of POC MCs.
Absolutely!

Jenna Reads

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this is a fascinating topic.

I'm with ElaineA in that I always seem to be a jot behind, trend-wise.

If we were to speculate, what do we think?

I could honestly see beta heroes making a rise in popularity, with all the strife. Could also see military-types, sort of a lone-wolf save the world thing. Think there's always a place for bad boys (at least, I hope!).

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting. I think you can have an alpha male character without him being a total misogynist asshole like ... certain people who are leaders right now. I'm all for reading about beta heroes, though, if they have the right amount of intrigue to...intrigue!

When thinking about categories, what sort of hero would you class Wesley from Buffy and Angel? He starts out so piss-weak but the character growth he endures is phenomenal, and he ends up being a total (yet often understated) bad-ass. But he never turns into a full alpha hero, e.g. a jerk. He has his jerky moments but not in a romantic sense. He's trying to do the right thing.

On that note, the character of Angel himself is sort of alpha, in that he's brooding etc., but he's never a misogynist dick. He's soft-spoken and sweet and sometimes bumbly, despite being totally sexy. Thoughts?

And on one final note, I live in Australia, so I guess we're a little more removed from certain political trends going on. Though our own government has its problems too, and our leaders certainly don't speak for minorities or women. Plus, our affiliation with a certain superpower means we might get nuked sometime soon apparently ;) Fun times...!

StoryofWoe

Registered
Reaction score
When thinking about categories, what sort of hero would you class Wesley from Buffy and Angel? He starts out so piss-weak but the character growth he endures is phenomenal, and he ends up being a total (yet often understated) bad-ass. But he never turns into a full alpha hero, e.g. a jerk. He has his jerky moments but not in a romantic sense. He's trying to do the right thing.

On that note, the character of Angel himself is sort of alpha, in that he's brooding etc., but he's never a misogynist dick. He's soft-spoken and sweet and sometimes bumbly, despite being totally sexy. Thoughts?
Gosh, it's been forever since I've watched Buffy or Angel. From what I can recall, Wesley would probably be considered a beta hero, while Angel is almost the perfect embodiment of the dark, broody, tortured, Rochester-esque alpha.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
Wesley certainly becomes tortured later on - the shift in his character is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on TV. But I do think even then he is more of a beta.

airandarkness

Registered
Reaction score
I do like alpha heroes, but seeing more stories with betas would definitely be cool, just because it's not something you see so much. And all this talk about Wesley has made me remember how much I love him!