Gifty Holidays are Coming! What's on your wish list?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What does everyone want for the upcoming holidays? I'll admit I'm looking for book ideas to ask for, as well as what to get others.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I only have one wish list item that isn't a book. Since I can't share a bathroom, I wound up with the tiny guest bath in this house (it was my turn). And, also, since I can't stand a cluttered shower area, I've asked for this.

Other than that, books. Always books:

The Goblin Emperor, Katherine Addison
Barbara Newhall Follett: A Life in Letters, Barbara Newhall Follett, Stefan Cooke
The View From the Cheap Seats: Selected Nonfiction, Neil Gaiman
The History of the Kings of Britain, Geoffrey of Monmouth
Unstoppable: Harnessing Science to Change the World, Bill Nye

I have a huge list of books I want, but those are the ones I've spread the net for 'cause I'm greedy, but not TOO greedy. :greenie

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lol. Christmas lists always remind me of a friend of mine. He wanted Stephen King's It for Christmas when it came out. He told everyone he wanted it, and ended up getting seven copies. Because people had written in four of them he couldn't return them all.

Let me know what you think of the Gaiman book. I'm hot and cold on him so I'm hesitant.

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of his fiction. I've tried. Really tried. I'm interested in other people's perspectives, though, and Neil Gaiman has a wide range of interests and interactions with a substantial number of people. I'm interested in how that has informed his own views. So.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of his fiction. I've tried. Really tried. I'm interested in other people's perspectives, though, and Neil Gaiman has a wide range of interests and interactions with a substantial number of people. I'm interested in how that has informed his own views. So.

He is quite connected and influential. I've not read his non-fic. Of his fiction, I'm much more impressed with his adult fiction as in American Gods, Anansi Boys, and Neverwhere. His children's and YA have left me cold-ish. Yes, even Coraline.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Wish List doesn't change a lot from year to year. I'm old enough now that I have a whole lot of what I want.
  • Hand-made salted caramels from Etsy seller Piece and Love Pie Company(the best ever--you will not be sorry!)
  • Silver rings
  • Cool fabric, any kind, in an amount sufficient to sew a thing. Blue and/or rayon especially desired.
  • Socks from Sock Dreams, especially black and denim blue
  • DVD/Blu-ray of Star Trek Beyond
  • CDs of writing music from David Arkenstone, Max Richter, Patrick O'Hearn
Oddly, I don't have any books on my list that I'm sure I want to own. My library is doing really well at buying what I want to read, and I've already got books out the wazoo, with stacks on the floor in front of overloaded shelves. The last ten books I added to my Amazon wish list are all available at the branch two blocks from home.

Maryn, who also wants new dishes

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I got distracted at the "Piece and Love Pie Company" part. *thinks with stomach*

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously, buy the caramels. I was "meh" about caramels until these. They are fantastic and amazing.

Edit: In recent years, I used to buy our sweet-toothed daughter maple candies from this place in Vermont, but this year, the price of the one-pound box is $15 and the shipping is $12.50. Bullcrap. I mail things often enough to know that shipping price is ridiculous, nearly double the actual cost. What a crappy thing to do, profit from the shipping and from the product. Not happening.

Last edited:

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I only have one wish-list item this holiday season, and it's the same one that's on my husband's and son's lists: Contributions to his (son's) trip. He signed up for a school trip to Washington DC and New York this spring, and we have asked all our friends and relatives to contribute to that instead of buying gifts for any of us.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's probably the closest one can come to the true meaning of Christmas.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
New Kindle. My old one is four years old and getting a bit wonky. It's not expensive and I love reading books on it.

Soft lounging pants and top. For those days when I roll out of bed, grab a mug of coffee, and sequester myself in the home office.

Warm socks. My feet are always cold

Wine. Especially a pinot noir

Amazon gift card

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Kindle's getting up there in age too. I hope I can get another year (or three or six) but I know the day's coming I'll need to get serious about a new one.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the last person without a Kindle? I don't even want one, especially. When I'm home, I like paper books. When I travel, the iPad is fine.

Stormie, I happen to have on the best lounging-around pants ever. Lands End Starfish pants. They look presentable but are as comfortable as PJs. I bought them for travel but wear them at home, too.