Oregon Senators, Representative Introduce Vote By Mail Act

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Oregon’s Senators Ron Wyden, Jeff Merkley and Representative Earl Blumenauer introduced a new bill to expand Oregon-style vote-by-mail nationwide.

Washington state and Oregon both already have vote by mail as the standard way to vote. Registered voters receive a ballot in the mail weeks before the election.

I've voted absentee ballots, punch card ballots, fill in the circle ballots, pull a lever punch card ballots, and rejected digital voting via kiosk because the UI design was a disaster for anyone who has vision issues.

I love the WA vote by mail ballot. I can take my time and research things. I can download a draft version to use to make my decisions then fill out the official ballot. I can mail it in via U.S. post or walk to a convenient and legal ballot depository. There are a number of support options for disabled voters.

Here's more on the proposed bill.

Here's the official one-page summary of the bill.

Here's the text of the actual bill being proposed.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know it's to make the process more autonomous for the states but PLEASE. A unified system across the country would be so much preferable.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any realistic chance of getting a consistent nationwide voting system? Australia's got a very similar federal system to the USA, but our federal elections are entirely run by an independent statutory agency of the federal government. That also means we have no gerrymandering.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any realistic chance of getting a consistent nationwide voting system? Australia's got a very similar federal system to the USA, but our federal elections are entirely run by an independent statutory agency of the federal government. That also means we have no gerrymandering.

That's exactly what this bill is about.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have vote by mail in NJ, and this was my first year using it. I loved it. I took my time. Googled the names I didn't recognize down ballot while I did it. It should be expanded throughout the US. Everywhere, really. It's awesome. No lines at the polls, minimized social exposure...it's win-win for the anti-social writer.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
We have vote by mail in NJ, and this was my first year using it. I loved it. I took my time. Googled the names I didn't recognize down ballot while I did it. It should be expanded throughout the US. Everywhere, really. It's awesome. No lines at the polls, minimized social exposure...it's win-win for the anti-social writer.

Going outside to put the envelope in the mailbox would be too much for me. I'm going to hold out for online voting.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
That's exactly what this bill is about.
Ah, I misread that.

They should introduce a bill to do something about the extreme gerrymandering in the USA, as well. Have a nationwide non-partisan agency to draw district boundaries, as we do.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I misread that.

They should introduce a bill to do something about the extreme gerrymandering in the USA, as well. Have a nationwide non-partisan agency to draw district boundaries, as we do.

There have been multiple attempts to do just that. It's not as easy as it looks. We've got some serious problems with money/campaign finance issues.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I must live in voting paradise. I live in a very politically active community, and yet I never encounter lines at my precinct when I vote. Now, there has been a big increase in voting by mail here in California, but even before that, I didn't. And I think it's because we have lots of polling places - something 50 precincts in a city of 65,000.