This is just heartbreaking

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
This is such a sad story for what the election has done (or rather, what it's done to polarize people on the right). http://www.dallasnews.com/business/...-day-meal-cedar-hill-chilis-manager-took-away

Short summary - Chili's provides a free meal for veterans with ID on Veteran's Day. A black veteran goes for his meal, but an older white veteran tells the manager he's not a real vet, and the manager takes away the meal, despite the black man having military ID. Manager gets rightly and properly fired by Chili's, although mayor of the town moans "but we must also consider the manager and how he can become a better person and perhaps do better the next time he is put in a difficult situation..."

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"And perhaps do better next time"? The poor, poor man! Such pressure! How can he take the strain? /sarc

I'm disappointed that none of the other customers, some of whom must have overheard this exchange, didn't step up and push back.

I'm disappointed that the asshole customer who brought the manager into it hasn't been invited to never return.

But then, I'm white, so I probably am fatally naive for being disappointed.

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Chilis should give the veteran free meals for a year.

Introversion said:
I'm disappointed that none of the other customers, some of whom must have overheard this exchange, didn't step up and push back.

So many of us don't want to get involved in others' disputes. I've been guilty of that in the past. But I'm going to be more vocal. We have to be.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
The mayor's comments remind me of people bewailing the fate of young men convicted of sexual assault. "It's all very well for the victim, but won't someone think of this poor boy? Time in jail won't do him any good. He needs to be helped to be a better person, not punished."

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know some people who were regular patrons of Chilis and will never go back after reading about this.

The manager also gave the veteran a hard time about his service dog.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm disappointed that the asshole customer who brought the manager into it hasn't been invited to never return.

This, at least, we can't know, but we can hope? He may have been banned, but I wouldn't expect Chili's to publicize it.

I know we're going to be inundated with these sorts of stories with bigots feeling so emboldened. I'm still not ready for the blow it's going to deal to my instinctive desire to hope humans can rise above their worst instincts. Bleh.

May I offer a little counterbalance? (Not to derail the thread. I'll delete if I'm doing so.) Patriots security guards muslim woman during prayer at Gillette Stadium (scroll down for full view of post)

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I know some people who were regular patrons of Chilis and will never go back after reading about this.

The manager also gave the veteran a hard time about his service dog.

To be fair, Chili's corporate responded promptly with a detailed apology, with no quibbling about accepting responsibility, and removed the manager.

Ravioli

Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annagiladi.wixsite.com
The mayor's comments remind me of people bewailing the fate of young men convicted of sexual assault. "It's all very well for the victim, but won't someone think of this poor boy? Time in jail won't do him any good. He needs to be helped to be a better person, not punished."
Yup. This manager, just like any and all rapists ever, had plenty time to be a good person before they elected to do what they did. Screw them.