Topic Tuesday #3: How My Story Originated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I was watching an interview with Neil Gaiman. Someone asked him where he gets his ideas. After a bit of light humor, he said something about wondering what happens if a werewolf bites a goldfish.

Later I got to thinking about how wool sweaters can scratch. I thought, what if a person wore a sweater made from a certain type of wool and it scratched so badly that it actually turned the wearer into a weresheep?

Yet the psychiatric community keeps passing up the opportunity to have me locked up.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I was watching an interview with Neil Gaiman. Someone asked him where he gets his ideas. After a bit of light humor, he said something about wondering what happens if a werewolf bites a goldfish.

Later I got to thinking about how wool sweaters can scratch. I thought, what if a person wore a sweater made from a certain type of wool and it scratched so badly that it actually turned the wearer into a weresheep?

Yet the psychiatric community keeps passing up the opportunity to have me locked up.
WereWool[SUP]tm[/SUP]! Now with twice the changing power. Turning lycan'thropy into lycanthropy for over seventy years.
WereWool[SUP]tm[/SUP] is a trademark of Procter and Gamble. All rights reserved.

Last edited:

Rose_C

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure I can quantify the process by which I arrive at the germ of an idea. I have an over-active imagination!

Once I have an idea that I want to develop I 'outline it' in that I have the core of the plot, and that means I have the beginning and the end.

Then I write that core story for the MC. It's usually fairly short, and focuses entirely on one character, and from there I build in layers.

The protagonist needs an antagonist - so who is that, what is he/she going to do to the MC, why are they doing that? And I write that layer in, weaving it into the basic story.

Then I problem solve - if that happens, then I need a reason why, or a person, and a reason why.

How can I make the obstacles harder for the MC?

Layer by layer I add more scenes, more sub-plot, more characters ... weaving them into the core plot which remains the backbone of the story. Everything and everyone added is in service to the plot in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.