Does It Matter Where You Live as a Writer?

CamJMcFadden

Coffee Fiend
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a question for all the published kids/MG authors out there:

I am an American citizen currently living in Melbourne, Australia. I am also preparing to query my first MG book, but I was wondering if it would help (or hinder) the process by moving back to the US. Does the time difference matter, if most of the querying process takes place online? Is querying US agents easier actually in the US, or is it just as easy to query elsewhere?

Thanks so much for reading this!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not in the same area of writing you are, but for the genres I know about, agents and publishers don't care where you live so long as you have reliable internet for email and are perhaps able to take a phone call despite time differences. Since virtually all querying and contractual business can be done online, your physical location doesn't matter.

You may experience some problems with payment and currency conversions, and perhaps with taxes. I have vague memories of reading about that with UK friends selling books to American publishers. I'll leave it for those with experience to share what they've learned.

Maryn, wishing you success

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I'm a Canadian MG author with an American agent (and I used to have a UK agent). It's really not a huge issue. Definitely not when it comes to querying. Yes there are some tax things to contend with but a good agent will walk you through those things. And yes there can be the time difference issue, but again, as long as you know the issue it's not a big deal. Heck, if you have to take a conference call at 3am, then you do it :) .

It's really not a big deal at all. Just find the agent and market that is right for your work. That's the most important thing.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
The tax issue is a good one I hadn't considered! As for time zones, it shouldnt have a large impact though. I've heard of agents scheduling calls at 2am for international authors. Now, I wouldn't go into it expecting them to screw their schedule for you, you may be the one who has to wake up in the middle of the night for an important phone call but it's still a workable thing. Might be a small obstacle but not one worth moving across the world to avoid, IMO. You won't have to talk on the phone often. Everything else, timing doesn't really matter.