Starbucks Joins Program to Offer Safe Haven to LGBT People From Hate Crimes

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This might actually induce me to give Starbucks some of my queer cash:

All 2,000 of the coffee chain’s staff in Seattle are to receive training in reporting hate crime; part of an initiative launched by a local gay cop

Source

allthefeels

Registered
Reaction score
This is great - hopefully more companies join this initiative. The amount of hate that has been expressed physically over the last few days is incredible.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Starbucks has developed a reputation as being LGBTI inclusive and supportive. It scored the top mark of 100 in the most recent HRC Corporate Equality Index and actively supported several Pride festivals over the summer. This included being a ‘gold sponsor’ of Pride London and Seattle Pride.

I either did not know this or had forgotten it. I'm feeling pretty strongly that I want to select where my money goes carefully. Thanks.

This is what troubles me most. Trump can't set the whole place on fire after being sworn in. Yeah, EPA and SCOTUS issues are going to be grim, but I am worried about the groundswell of Trump supporters. I never bought into "emboldening" for terrorists. I don't think they cared much what we thought of them. I buy it here, no discount.

There are people out there just living their lives who are going to get hurt in all different kinds of ways. It's good to work to counter that now, not later. It's happening now.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Starbucks has also been pretty great about making sure its trans employees get health insurance. I've known a few trans people who work for them solely for the healthcare.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, is this all Starbucks or just the ones in Seattle? Or is it a progressive thing for after they get everyone trained on how to report things?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It actually started more than a year ago here in Seattle. Hopefully it will now spread to other locations.

Starbucks Makes 97 Seattle Stores Into LGBT Safe Places As Part Of New Program - Nov 13 2015
Starbucks has a long history of being friendly to LGBTQ causes. In fact, the company was one of many that petitioned the Supreme Court to adopt marriage equality earlier this year, before the court handed down their pro-marriage equality ruling. Starbucks also has a history of partnering with Seattle community groups, such as the YMCA, in the past.

... It would be great if Starbucks could implement similar programs in all their stores nationwide, but since the details of how best to respond to anti-LGBT hate crimes will vary based on location, that's probably not possible at this time. Still, 97 stores is a lot, and it's a good start.

Seattle Police Department Safe Place Program

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, is this all Starbucks or just the ones in Seattle? Or is it a progressive thing for after they get everyone trained on how to report things?

Right now, just Seattle. I spoke with a Starbucks PR flack. She says the goal is to roll it out to this first 2500 employees, and then take it nationwide including Starbucks corporate; HR has already had extensive training for hiring and retaining diverse employees, including older employees.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who live in the Pacific Northwest, Fred Meyer is also very LGBT positive. Employees march every year in the Pride parades to management's encouragement and support. Give your business to Freddies!!

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
For those of you who live in the Pacific Northwest, Fred Meyer is also very LGBT positive. Employees march every year in the Pride parades to management's encouragement and support. Give your business to Freddies!!

My husband's first-ever "real" high school job was at a Fred Meyer's in Eugene. The company was going through some rough and divisive times back then, and it was an unpleasant place to work. It looks like they've come a long way in the intervening decades, which is great to see. I'll be sure to give them my business next time I'm up that way (they never spread down into CA for some reason).

I hope the Starbucks program becomes national. More state and federal laws (and, God, SCOTUS decisions upholding them) that make discrimination a protected form of "free speech" for business owners and employers are likely in our future, so I want to support the companies that repudiate hate and intolerance and provide safe places and help for people who need it.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, Starbucks and Freddie's are both here. Is there a list on some website of other LGBTQ friendly places?