Moving a cat! (Update #23)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
So, we're packing the U-Haul tomorrow and taking off to OK on Friday morning.

We will drive 6-7 hours to my in-laws house, where we will stay the night. Then, we'll get up and drive another 2 hours to our new apartment.

The cat is a terrible traveler. Hates the car. Loathes any sort of carrier. Freaks out if his things are disturbed or he's in a new place.

I had asked the vet for some pharmaceutical assistance, but she insisted on giving us some sort of herbal calming thing... She wanted us to try it for a few days to see if it helped. I tried to tell her that we didn't have a few days to experiment... but it's what we're stuck with now.

I'm not even sure how to manage the logistics of transport. Someone at the vet's office said to get a medium-size dog crate and to put a blanket on one side and a little tub with litter on the other... So, I guess that's the current plan.

Does anyone have experience with this or any advice?

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have Feliway? If you don't, can probably find it locally at the pet store. You can try spraying the crate with that a bit.

I'd definitely get a medium-sized dog crate, or bigger, whatever will strap into the back of the car securely, and today, rub the kitty several times with a couple towels or blankie, like keep grabbing him for cuddles with it and rubbing them all over him, on his paws, etc., so they smell as much like him as possible, and then put those in the crate (so the crate smells like it's his and not so scary), with a disposable litter thing (they're at pet stores for like $1 or so each, sturdy cardboard deals usually), and a bowl of water -- try to get a deeper bowl, fill it only a little and double-side tape it to the bottom of the crate in a corner, preferably on the blanket side, so it doesn't splash or slide around.

I'd also keep him in the crate the entire drive. If you let him out and then go to open a door and he dashes, in an unfamiliar location....keep tossing treats in and letting him smell your fingers and stuff.

Then at the in-laws, I'd bring the crate into the bedroom you'll be in and contain him in that room only - careful with the room door. You don't want him hiding in an unfamiliar house or looking for escape. Then repeat to the apartment. Bring him in, in the crate, but don't let him out until you've got a room you can close off for him, and keep him contained in there, with all his stuff, maybe the crate, opened, but his bed if he's got one, one of the towels or blankets out, his stuff, hiss regular food, bowls, etc. -- oh, and I'd save some of his current litter, or take the entire litter box WITH his currently somewhat used litter in it, to the new place, if you can, so he knows it's home and it smells safe -- maybe one of your tshirts, out in the room for him to calm down in a contained place, so it's not so overwhelming.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't have one already, get a cat leash. Definitely use the carrier. Way back my parents took our cat out on a leash at the rest stops instead of trying to put litter in the crate. Have extra towels for accidents.

Disposable litter boxes, sounds good. Also, If you do use the cat leash, be sure it's on before you open any car doors.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind, it sounds as though he will be in the crate for about 24 hours - more or less an overnight visit at the vet. And, unlike the vet's you'll be right there all the time. It's not like he'll be imprisoned for a week. ('Vet visit' is probably what he suspects, so the lack of enthusiasm.) He won't be happy, he may howl so loud he drowns out the radio, but he should be fine.
1. Big crate - big enough for him to stand up, lie down and stretch a little.

2. His own blankets, now is not the time to wash anything. Also, if you can sacrifice a t-shirt or other old garment, a second layer of bedding would give him something to hide under. (Something thin, so you can see the cat-shape under it, so you don't think he's there if he sneaks off.)

3. I know there's no time to experiment, but if your cat likes to drink from a dripping tap, or has ever used a hang-up water bottle (generally for caged rodents, with a ball-bearing that they have to lick at?) that might work for while the car is moving- then get him a bowl of water when you stop for whatever reason. (DO NOT open the door to the cage unless the car is parked, all doors are closed, and windows are confirmed to be up.)

4. Be careful at the parents' house - you may shut him in the room, but someone else might unwarily open the door.

5. And, set aside some of his 'home' bedding for his bed in the new house
just in case his 'travel' bedding needs to be washed immediately.

6. Figure out what his favourite treat is, and hand-feed him a piece at a time through the bars. Yes, someone should sit as close to him as possible.

And good luck to you all! (I've never had to take a cat that far, but my Old Kitty lived in a medium-sized dog carrier for 24 hours, while movers packed up my old house, and unpacked at the new place. Then it was late, so I kept him crated until morning, so he could get used to the new place while I could see and supervise him. He was not a happy cat, but he survived.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and even if you never intend to travel again, keep the carrier - if you need to secure him for a while it'll be handy, and if, knock wood, something bad should happen and you should have leave in a hurry (floods, etc) a lot of emergency shelters will be more accepting of a cat in a carrier than an animal 'on the loose'. (Courtesy of my friend who does animal rescue.)

beachbum21k

I'm tired
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kylejohnmorgan.com
We took our cats from Ohio to Utah several years back. The one piece of advice that I can give you is not to try any new foods or treats. If the cat is even a little stressed it may have trouble digesting anything new. As much as I enjoyed cleaning the poop off of the cats, I can't recommend it.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
So, we're packing the U-Haul tomorrow and taking off to OK on Friday morning.

We will drive 6-7 hours to my in-laws house, where we will stay the night. Then, we'll get up and drive another 2 hours to our new apartment.

The cat is a terrible traveler. Hates the car. Loathes any sort of carrier. Freaks out if his things are disturbed or he's in a new place.

I had asked the vet for some pharmaceutical assistance, but she insisted on giving us some sort of herbal calming thing... She wanted us to try it for a few days to see if it helped. I tried to tell her that we didn't have a few days to experiment... but it's what we're stuck with now.

Your vet is right to be cautious about sedation. They can actually make things worse for many animals. They can become delusional or aggressive, even, or have other bad reactions to the meds, and you don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere, trying to find a vet. Anecdote incoming: when we moved across country many years back, we got sedatives for one of our cats, and he freaked out and started attacking his buddy (space was tight, so we had to have them together in the same carrier). It wasn't serious, and he eventually calmed down, but we didn't give the drugs after day one.

I'm not even sure how to manage the logistics of transport. Someone at the vet's office said to get a medium-size dog crate and to put a blanket on one side and a little tub with litter on the other... So, I guess that's the current plan.

Does anyone have experience with this or any advice?

It really depends on how much room you have. I've driven across country in a moving van, and they "upgraded" us to a larger U haul at the last minute (they do this if they don't have any of the size you requested at the depot on the day you have to pick up), which meant that we were in a truck with a bench seat and no space behind the cab instead of a van with two bucket seats and a walk through to the cargo area with room for the dog to sit and the cat crate.

So, there we were, at 4 AM (we left early, because it was summer we had to get over a pretty steep pass between CA and AZ), driving down I-55 in Costa Mesa. Which was very bumpy because they were in the middle of resurfacing. I was driving, and my husband was sitting shotgun with our 45 pound dog in his lap, and the cat carrier on the seat between us with Boris HOWLING. Oh, and a shoe box with Norlin the gopher snake and our backpacks with stuff we needed access to at his feet. The truck was bumping up and down (it had terrible shocks), and I'm towing my pickup truck behind us, and we had to go all the way to Northern NY.

I'm hoping you can get one of the u hauls or ryders that is the smaller van type, not the truck type, as the former actually seem to have more room in the cab.

As for us, I was almost in tears, and I think my husband was too, as we looked at each other and said, "I don't know if I can do this for 2000 more miles."

It did get better. The road smoothed out, and Boris eventually shut up (the attacking his friend incident had been on an earlier move, so we used no sedatives this time), and Astra the dog was a very good traveler who was good about being comfortable across laps. But we had many "adventures" on that trip.

The hard part was getting the cats to go during these long days. We'd stop from time to time and set up a box in a clear area of the u haul in back, close the door with one of us inside and give them access to the box, but they would never use it (or eat or drink) until we were at the motel each night. I was terrified they'd block themselves up or something.

And several hotels that promised us over the phone that they had a pull though or street parking so trucks didn't have to back up (our contract with u-haul said no backing up with the trailer) essentially lied, so I had to learn to back this whale of a truck up with a trailer without jackknifing it. In hindsight, it might have been better if one of us drove the pickup truck and one the van (and we'd have had more room, though the dog and cats couldn't be in the back of the pickuptruck with the topper in summer because there was no AC). We'd opted to tow the truck so we could trade off driving throughout the day and all of us could be in the AC that the truck had.

We made it. When I moved back a couple years later, though, we drove the pickup truck (it had a topper) and had the cats in the back in a large dog crate with the dog (this was in winter, but we gave them lots of blankies, kitty cups and their box) and our personal luggage. I paid a "u pack it" freight hauling service to drop a pup in our driveway for the household stuff. That was a much easier move.

Good luck with the move, but you'll likely survive it. At least smart phones and wireless internet makes it easier to find and make reservations for pet friendly accommodations on the road when you have a better idea how far a segment of driving will take you on a given day. I'd suggest planning reasonable driving days, even if it means you stay in motels a couple extra nights, and not try to push through as fast as possible (as we did).

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
2. Also, if you can sacrifice a t-shirt or other old garment, a second layer of bedding would give him something to hide under. (Something thin, so you can see the cat-shape under it, so you don't think he's there if he sneaks off.)

Just wanted to say "ditto" on this. Stressed cats are much happier if they can hide. I've worked in a kennel, and unless we were full up and didn't have the extra space, we'd generally put the cat, small carrier and all, inside a larger kennel (leaving the carrier door open, of course). Each one had their preferences. The sociable ones would come to the front and ask for food or attention. A lot of them liked to hang out "up high" on top of the carrier, and the more skittish ones would often hide inside the carrier and glare out at us.

On very rare occasions, we'd get an unusually aggressive or terrified cat. Those would often respond well to a sheet of newspaper hung across the cage door so they couldn't see out, because the sight of people or pets going by would stress them out terribly. (I guess it was sort of a cat version of those privacy curtains in doctor's offices). If kitty seems bothered by things outside the carrier, covering the carrier with a sheet might help.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My cats were much happier on the moves when we had them in a larger crate with kitty cups and blankets they could hide under. There was a cat box in there too, though (sigh) they still wouldn't use it until they were in the hotel room at night.

Of course, if you're stopping at a pet friendly hotel and want to give them access to the room, be sure to check under the bed, in the closet, behind furniture, inside dressers, and in any cabinets etc. for places they can wedge themselves or hide. You don't want a cat disappearing in a hotel room!

My husband adopted a cat and brought her to his apartment, and the cat promptly disappeared for the first two days. He was frantic, because he looked everywhere and was worried Callisto had gotten out somehow. Turns out, no. The cat had found a space inside the kitchen cabinets in a small space behind the drawers and was firmly wedged in there until she decided it was safe to come out.

Pegster

Girando e fuzzicando
Registered
Reaction score
I moved the same cat from Oklahoma to Florida, Florida to Michigan, Michigan to Florida, and between cities/houses in Florida. She was an indoor/outdoor cat, preferring the outdoors. I also moved my sister's two cats between Florida and North Dakota. They were always in carriers to avoid getting lost, crawling under the brake pedal, or flying into the windshield at sudden stops. The scents of home do help, though I find that old litter is not required. If the weather is cool, I cover the cage or face it backwards to give the cat some semblance of denning.

While the licensed veterinarian in me, ever anxious to avoid liability, says "supply free access to food and water during the entire trip", the practical woman has learned that fretful cats will seldom eat, drink, or eliminate on road trips. Even shut into the hotel bathroom with their litter box, I have seen them hold it for fifteen hours. Trying to get a urine sample while they're in my hospital, I've seen them hold it for fifteen hours, and that was with a raging bladder infection.

That said, I would not withhold water if you can make it easily available. I would also not open the carrier until you reach your in-laws, and that would be to assess and clean. I would leave the cat in the carrier overnight, even though you're no longer driving. I have recommended to some clients that they withhold food six hours before the trip, but these were pets I knew would poop themselves ala grande. With elderly, juvenile, or infirm patients, I recommend lots of newspaper, and clothespins for the client's nose, because food and water must not be withheld in these patients.

Your vet may be leery of sedating/tranquilizing your cat for any number of reasons. I have had variable effects with Feliway, Zylkene, Valerian, Hops, Benadryl, and Catnip. Drugs tend to be more consistent, but again, those pesky side effects.

This one thing has never failed me when moving an indoor/outdoor cat: Once I've reached destination and kept the cat indoors three or four days, I butter its feet. Not margarine, and I really grease her up. A little old lady taught me that when I was a wet behind the ears new veterinarian, and I did not scoff. Every single cat came home when I finally let it out, except for the one where I forgot the butter. God grant you safe travel, and remember that even in the Fall, vehicle interiors can cause a pet to overheat.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys! Rep points when I get home. Right now, though, I'm off to the pet store to get supplies.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have recommended to some clients that they withhold food six hours before the trip, but these were pets I knew would poop themselves ala grande.

Oh, ick, that reminds me. When I was a young adult (in college and beyond), my folks had a cat who was a delight except in one way: when in the car, he would poo all over unless you stroked him through the hole in the side of the carrier until your finger was numb (and got him home quickly). Any interruption of petting, and BAM, stinky, semi-solid stools, all over himself and the carrier. I remember sitting in the car with my dad and the cat carrier one time, while my mom was inside paying the vet. My mom loves to chat, and so Dad and I desperately massaged the cat's flanks through the slats in the carrier while Burt (the cat) laid several "pump priming" stink bombs. Mom had a leisurely conversation with the receptionist, while the two of us debated the merits of driving home and stranding her at the clinic.

She got back to the car a moment too late.

I'm so glad that none of the cats I've had since have been "mad shitters" as my dad called Burt.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I just drove across the country with two cats, one of whom cries throughout any car trip. Here's some things that helped. Note, I was in my own car and the cats were right behind our seats.

I put a Thundershirt on Jasper when we traveled across country, and it worked wonders. I would say his crying was cut in half just from that and quieter cries that were more like his sister's. This is a very loud, vocal cat, so it was noticeable.

There's also these leashes that allow for dogs to be attached to a seatbelt while free in the car. I used these to allow each cat some time on my lap when my dad was driving.. As soon as Jasper was on my lap the first day, he stayed standing and moving, but he stopped crying. (He's a mama's boy). Jezzie preferred the carrier to my lap, although she's a better lap cat, and if I opened the door, she would go back in, but Jasper loved being with his mom. He was a lot calmer, even after I put him in the carrier the 2nd day because of that time.

Ignore the cat while he cries. If you keep paying attention to him, he'll keep crying. If you don't, eventually he'll settle down. It may take an hour or two.

Certain music soothes the cats. We listened to one CD that was half talk and half music on the first day. Every time the songs came on, the cats would be quiet, but when the narrator spoke, they started crying again.

If the cat gets carsick, make sure that there are no windows available to him. I used to put a towel over the carriers, but the only time my cats have thrown up in the car was when my ex-roomie drove them without me, so I stopped caring.

If there is a blanket that the cat adores & it fits in the carrier, put it in there. I happened to have a blanket that was falling apart that they adored and I cut it up for them. I used to have old pjs that were falling apart in the carriers, so this is basically the same concept. Anything that smells like you and that they love is good. Something they can burrow under is also good.

If you had more time, I'd suggest taking the carrier out and making it part of the room. My cats actually love their carriers because of this trick.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You sound like you have great kitties, Sage.

I've had far more issues with dogs (usually pups or young adult dogs) getting sick and vomiting in the car than cats, though it's very possible that cats who feel disoriented and unwell express it in different ways (pooping or peeing) or crying constantly.

I think benadryl is safe for cats in low doses, and it has antiemetic effects that work on motion sickness. I'd ask a vet before trying it, though, and make sure the dosage is safe. In general, I think looking out the windows is more upsetting for cats than for dogs, since they're not typically taken as many "fun" (to them) places in cars and are more likely to be highly territorial.

The very first cat of my adult life (acquired shortly before I went off to grad school) was a great traveler, though (which is good, because I moved a lot during the years I had him). I think it's because he was my only pet for the first 3-4 years or so, and I went over to spend the night with my boyfriend a lot and brought him along, and my friends and I took our pets over to each others' houses a lot when the pets were young. He even learned to walk on a leash. Though you don't hear as much about it as with puppies, I suspect kittens have an early life socialization window where they're more receptive to normalizing new experiences. Unfortunately, most of my other cats have been acquired as adults.

Not much help when you have to move with an adult cat, though.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My vet did recommend half of a Benadryl for my cats (they're about 9 lbs each). They saw that pink pill coming, though, and would not take it, even in a pill pocket.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Someone asked what "kitty cups" are. It's a term for those soft, round cat beds that allow a cat to curl up in a ball and feel warm and safe. My boys love those kinds of beds (and I've got a 35 pound dog who sometimes likes to sleep in the larger versions of these beds too, though he's also chewed on a few).

Pardon my linking an advertisement from a pet catalog, but cat beds like this one.

Last edited:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. I have:

Big crate.
His little desk bed (I keep a bed on my desk that he sleeps on while I write. It's covered in his hair and he loves it. It's great because it fits exactly in half of the crate.)
A tub for litter
A hamster water bottle
My worn PJs
His stuffed mouse that he likes
A thunder shirt
A little bowl for his food
A back up, deep water bowl in case he can't get the bottle thing.
Some calming spray
Some calming tunes

ETA: Oh, and a blanket to put over the crate.

I think we're ready.

Thanks so much for all the help!

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck! Safe travels! Don't forget the treats!

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. I have:

Big crate.
His little desk bed (I keep a bed on my desk that he sleeps on while I write. It's covered in his hair and he loves it. It's great because it fits exactly in half of the crate.)
A tub for litter
A hamster water bottle
My worn PJs
His stuffed mouse that he likes
A thunder shirt
A little bowl for his food
A back up, deep water bowl in case he can't get the bottle thing.
Some calming spray
Some calming tunes

ETA: Oh, and a blanket to put over the crate.

I think we're ready.

Thanks so much for all the help!

That is one beloved cat. Gives me the warm fuzzies to see this level of care and consideration. I love pet owners like you. :)

Pegster

Girando e fuzzicando
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, ick, that reminds me. When I was a young adult (in college and beyond), my folks had a cat who was a delight except in one way: when in the car, he would poo all over unless you stroked him through the hole in the side of the carrier until your finger was numb (and got him home quickly)..

I have a regular patient who comes in every two months for a bath and butt-shave. We're calling it General Sanitation now--the latest trip included washing the carrier, including the door grill, and wiping the backseat of the owner's car with Odoban and Febreze.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know this is a serious thread seeking and sharing information, but I am amused over and over when I read the subject as "Mowing a cat!"

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's been almost a month, so I thought I'd post an update to let everyone know we made it to Oklahoma. I need to change my Location, I guess!

We are still trying to settle in. The apartment has been difficult for everyone to get used to. Half of this post is going to be ranty, but the other half is an appreciation of our local wildlife.

Rant:

It's cold here. Fifteen degrees last night?! As former Houstonians, we are woefully unprepared in the wardrobe department. As it happens, most of my warmest pieces of clothing are SCA garb, so neighbors definitely think I'm odd when they see me sitting on my patio in my heavy cloak and fur-trimmed Viking hat. I did, though, see someone airing out very nice togos on their patio the other day, so maybe I can be friends with them. :)

The dog loves this weather, but she's very bored. The apartment is small and there's no yard for her to go bask in. She goes out on the patio frequently, but it's not the same. We've upped walks to four a day, and there's a pet park here at the complex, but.. it's so cold, and I do have to work during the day.

The cat is terrible. Despite all the prep for the move, he was very upset both days of driving. The only thing that calmed him down was me singing Saia's "Cheap Thrills" all the way. I don't know why. No other song; just Cheap Thrills. We did listen to the radio a bit. Turns out he likes 80s Madonna but hates Bryan Adams. *shrugs* He did like his crate.... sort of. He had to stay in it a long time through the move and after we got here and were bringing stuff in from the truck. I left it open in his room afterward, and he was still in it a lot. It took several days for him to transition to pottying in his regular litterbox instead of his makeshift crate one, but thankfully, that's done.

Being in the apartment with him has been a huge adjustment, and it feels like we're jumping through a lot of hoops. He's never been good at letting us sleep at night. He'll cuddle for a bit, cry if I'm not actively petting him, get up, climb the door frames, cuddle, cry, beg for food, attack the blinds, cuddle, cry for everyone to get up, knock over the lamps, beg for food, cuddle, harrass the dog... and so forth until dawn. At the old house, which was two stories, we put him up at night in his own room upstairs. We couldn't hear him and he couldn't really hear us until we were up for the morning. Here, though, he can hear the neighbors and they can hear him, and he's consistently been waking up at 3:30-4:45 to yowl until someone lets him out of his room (we've given him the second bedroom). We've settled into a system of taking turns with someone getting up with himn at 4:00-ish while the other person sleeps until 7:00 and then gets up to take care of him while the first person goes back to sleep until 10:00. I'm not sure if we can keep that up indefinitely.

Appreciation:

Our complex backs up to a wooded area, and we were fortunate enough to get a ground-floor unit on the corner of the building that faces the back. We have a lovely view from our patio. It's nice and quiet back here, too. We see lots of birds, mostly cardinals and bluejays. I'm thinking of putting a pine cone feeder in the little tree just beyond our railing. There's also a farm somewhere back there. I've seen a few chickens and heard a rooster, and I've seen two white horses grazing in a nearby clearing. A neighbors says he sometimes sees up to three deer back there, too.

This morning was the best, though. It was my turn to get up with the cat, and one thing he insists on is patio time. So I put on my cloak and fur hat and took him and the dog out on the patio around 5:00 a.m. We were standing there, being very quiet, and around the corner of the building and through the flower bed trots this little gray fox. He wasn't even really paying attention, just doing his thing (which I suspect is to come sit on our patio in the early mornings. Our cushy patio furniture attracts cats so why not foxes, I guess.) When he noticed us looking at him, he stopped (just barely five feet away from us) and looked at us curiously for a few seconds. And then, as if to say, "Oh... I didn't realize the patio was occupied. I'll just be off, then," he turned and casually trotted into the woods. I'd never seen a wild fox before. It was lovely. :)