Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Searching for a book.

figuring it all out

Searching for a book.

If this is in the wrong place I apologise. I've been searching for a specific book for years now and never been able to find it.

It was one of my father's favourite books but he can't remember the title and I was too young at the time to really remember it.

All I remember was it was a comedy story and contained a character called Engelbert who travelled the world with a companion playing a world wide game of golf. For some reason the title Engelbert and the art of golf springs to mind but I've never been able to find anything under that name.

I would love to read this again and get it for my father too as it's been many years since he read it. I know it's a long shot but does anyone know of a book like this?

Once again apologies if this is not allowed or is in the wrong place.

Thank you

practical experience, FTW cornflake's Avatar
    Comedy and golf says Dan Jenkins to me, but the Englebert I dunno. He's certainly got some wackily-named characters. I'd check Jenkins' stuff first, maybe see where those lead you on Amazon if they're not it, in a 'people also bought' way, as humourous sports isn't that huge a category.

The Clicking of Cuthbert by P.G. Wodehouse? A collection of ten short stories with a golfing theme. The title story is available online, haven't checked the others.
    Last edited by ajaye; 11-05-2016 at 03:50 PM. Reason: include link

I wanted to contribute a list of www book-websites to the thread in this forum (the one entitled 'Social media websites for books') or whatever it is called--its a sticky-noted thread--but it is locked?
    I have a list of probably two dozen book-related websites in my favorites. Resources everyone might take advantage of..

Quote Originally Posted by dinky_dau View Post
    I wanted to contribute a list of www book-websites to the thread in this forum (the one entitled 'Social media websites for books') or whatever it is called--its a sticky-noted thread--but it is locked?
    I have a list of probably two dozen book-related websites in my favorites. Resources everyone might take advantage of..
    Start a new thread; the social media sites are a specific kind of site, so a new thread would be better.

figuring it all out JenniferMannering's Avatar
    Maybe try looking on Goodreads?
    Please help me with my query letter! Trying to write it feels like trying to run through wet sand...while drunk....and on fire...wearing ten tonnes of steel armour....

Query Letter

------------

“Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.”

― J.K. Rowling