Xbox vs PS4- what should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Alright, SO. I am not a huge gamer. I grew up with a nintendo DS, so that's all I really play with. So basically, Pokemon runs my life.

My boyfriend, however, grew up around friends that had xbox's and playstations, even though he never had one of his own. I moved out on my own last year, and in a week he's moving in with me (eek! so excited!) and I want to surprise him with a console either now or right after black friday because, yay, sales!

I asked him if he'd rather have an xbox or a PS4 someday and he said he likes both and doesn't care either way. Since I really only play nintendo games, I'm kind of console illiterate when it comes to this deal.

Is one better than the other? Why or why not?

He most plays sports games but I know he expressed an interest in getting Skyrim, which I also have always wanted to play. So that's mad exciting.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm not a huge console gamer - I've had a PC since the 90s and haven't changed since - and as far as I can tell, the primary difference between the consoles is their games libary.

So, check and make sure that the games you want are in which. At the end of the day, it is about the gameplay, not the hardware.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I have both and I slightly prefer my PS4. The controller is much better, it runs smoothly, and I've never had a problem with the online, multiplayer access. Xbox Live kicks me off a lot and it goes down at least once a month. I've never had those problems on Playstation Network.

But, like Zoombie said, it's about the games. Most major games appear on both consoles and there really aren't very many "console exclusives" anymore these days, other than a few games like Gears of War, Halo, Uncharted, etc. I think Uncharted is one of the best game series ever, so getting the Utlimate Collection and Uncharted 4 makes - along with the better multiplayer network and controller - make the PS4 my favorite.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
The other posters are correct in that much of it depends on what kind of games he plays. With that in mind, I may be a bit biased because I've loved my Sony consoles for years, but I always recommend the PS4 for my friends.

Unless you have a specific reason to get an Xbox One such as liking Halo or Gears of War, or perhaps preferring the controller, I think the PS4 is a stronger console on the whole. Both have exclusives, but I personally believe Sony has been leading for years now (Uncharted, God of War, Bloodborne, The Last of Us, Until Dawn, etc) with a lot of great games across various genres, while the Xbox is more limited (although I did really enjoy Halo back in the day). Plus, the PS4 has better graphics than the Xbox One, if that's something he would care about.

One note: both the Xbox One and PS4 are due to receive more powerful console refreshes. The PS4 Pro comes out on the 10th, costs $100 more, and has potentially more detailed and smoother graphics. I personally think it'll probably be worth the extra $100 if you're interested in a Playstation and don't already own one, but it's up to you. There will be a significantly more powerful Xbox One coming out next year, but that won't be for a while.

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
For sports games + Skyrim, I don't think it matters much which console you're getting. But if you come from the Nintendo DS and have acquired a taste for Japanese-type games the PS4 is a no-brainer.

The PS-controller is a serious point for the console, too.

I'd say the PS4 has a slight edge, but you might just go for the better deal. (Note that the more powerful PS4 is only going to make games look better, if you have compatible TV. Otherwise, it's the same, but you pay more. I'd personally go for the un-upgraded version as its cheaper and I don't need any of the upgraded stuff [maybe if the new console runs cooler and is smaller or more energy-effecient, that'd be points in its favour; I'm still using both my PS2 & 3, so I don't really have the space for a new console].

To me, it looks like you can't make much of a mistake with either console, but I'm biased towards the PS4 so I'll recommend that.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I find that multisystem games tend to look better and run smoother on the PS4. But yeah, as others said, check the exclusives and see which you are more interested in. For me the PS4 wins that in a big way thanks to Bloodborne.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Might be worth considering the online store/DRM options on both as well. I'm not as huge a console user as I used to be, but I've always found PSNetwork preferable to XBox Live, not that either are brilliant by any means.

The upgraded PS4 is mostly (but not entirely) about VR potential. The current PS4 can't really handle the VR graphics as there's more processing involved. I'm not up on the console news closely enough to speculate as to how the upgraded/expensive system will affect games, but what I have heard is that it's not much.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the feedback! I asked my coworkers and most of them were pro PS4 as well. I'll keep fishing for hints from him, but so far it sounds like he's getting a playstation.

Thank you guys! I appreciate it!

- - - Updated - - -

Are there any absolute must games that you'd recommend that I could maybe get him for Christmas? Besides Skyrim. I already plan on buying that...which is basically a half a gift for me, anyways.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the feedback! I asked my coworkers and most of them were pro PS4 as well. I'll keep fishing for hints from him, but so far it sounds like he's getting a playstation.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there any absolute must games that you'd recommend that I could maybe get him for Christmas? Besides Skyrim. I already plan on buying that...which is basically a half a gift for me, anyways.
Bloodborne, The Bioshock Collection, Fallout 4, DOOM, Until Dawn, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Dark Souls 3, and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided are all good choices.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
If Skyrim and Fallout 4 are on the table, I have to be the dissenting voice and say Xbox One. Sony and Bethesda don't have a very good working relationship. Of course this is assuming you and/or your boyfriend are at all interested in accessing mods for those games.

If not, it's about the same. Playstation does make much more comfortable controllers for those of us with small hands though.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with a lot of Shadow Dragon's recommendations. If he's never played these games before, the Bioshock and Uncharted collections are excellent choices, as you get a ton of bang for your buck and the games are still fantastic. Dragon Age Inquisition and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided are great if he likes role-playing-games, and The Last of Us, DOOM, and Rise of the Tomb Raider are great if he likes action.

I would also consider Bloodborne since it's a superb action RPG and is a showcase for the PS4's graphics (and it's cheap these days) but be aware that it'll likely be like a kick in the teeth difficulty-wise for people who've never played it or a Dark Souls game before

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of Shadow Dragon's recommendations. If he's never played these games before, the Bioshock and Uncharted collections are excellent choices, as you get a ton of bang for your buck and the games are still fantastic. Dragon Age Inquisition and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided are great if he likes role-playing-games, and The Last of Us, DOOM, and Rise of the Tomb Raider are great if he likes action.

I would also consider Bloodborne since it's a superb action RPG and is a showcase for the PS4's graphics (and it's cheap these days) but be aware that it'll likely be like a kick in the teeth difficulty-wise for people who've never played it or a Dark Souls game before

I've heard of Bioshock and have always wanted to play it. While this is definitely a gift for Boyfriend, it's also half a gift for me, LMAO. I really appreciate the feedback you guys have for me.

Are there any good fantasy games (besides Skyrim) for PS4 (which is where I think I'm leaning). I know we're both into that genre. I write it, and he likes to read it. So that would be lovely if there were some pretty well built games with that kind of theme. He also plays the typical hockey/football/etc sports games that are kind of snoozefest for me. The only game I can get into is FIFA, but I can't play it. I just watch John Green's videos where he plays. Because I love him.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of Bioshock and have always wanted to play it. While this is definitely a gift for Boyfriend, it's also half a gift for me, LMAO. I really appreciate the feedback you guys have for me.

Are there any good fantasy games (besides Skyrim) for PS4 (which is where I think I'm leaning). I know we're both into that genre. I write it, and he likes to read it. So that would be lovely if there were some pretty well built games with that kind of theme. He also plays the typical hockey/football/etc sports games that are kind of snoozefest for me. The only game I can get into is FIFA, but I can't play it. I just watch John Green's videos where he plays. Because I love him.
Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Witcher 3, and Dragon Quest: Inquisition are probably the top fantasy games currently for the PS4. Though coming early next year in February, there's Horizon Zero Dawn (here's one of the trailers that shows off actual gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwI6-jKlsO0 )

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Also, if you're looking for game ideas, it can't hurt to go on YouTube and search for "best <insert descriptor> games for XBox One / PS4". That'll turn up a whole bunch of top-ten-like videos which will show a bit of gameplay of each of the games. And from what I've heard, the XBox One and PS4 are backwards compatible, so they can play XBox 360 and PS3 games. (Don't quote me on that, though. All I have is a 360.)

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
And from what I've heard, the XBox One and PS4 are backwards compatible, so they can play XBox 360 and PS3 games. (Don't quote me on that, though. All I have is a 360.)

I'm fairly sure the PS4 isn't backwards compatible. There's the game-streaming platform "Playstation Now", which allows you to stream older games, but you have to be online all the time for that, and the game you want has to be on offer. Older disks won't work, and neither will PS-Store downloads.

XBox One, as far as I know, offers an XBox360 emulator, so you can play your older disks. This one goes to Microsoft.

(I'd have a PS4 already, if I could use my old disks.)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Just my two cents:

I'm not a gamer, per se. I'll play some of my son's games from time to time. He has a PS4 at my house and an XBox One at his mom's. For him, it IS all about the games. There are games he loves that are only available on one or the other. By and large though, he uses the PS4 or his laptop.

That said, imo the PS4 (and the PS3, really) is the no-brainer choice for the occasional/non gamer. Why? Because it has lots of other features, it gets updated constantly, and is more stable. I have a pretty new smart tv with one of those "smarthubs." I can move to NetFlix, Amazon Prime, or the like fairly quickly. And my streaming is pretty consistent; hasn't frozen in ages. But you know, the PS3 that is hooked up to this smart tv can do all this too. And it actually does it a little better, a little faster. The PS4 is another cut above. And the BluRay capabilities of both are as good as the best stand alone BluRay player out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.