What are the chances of an offer if going to acquisitions?

MaggieMc

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I know this is a really silly questions, a bit like how long is a piece of string, but I've been wondering about this. I googled it, and an article I found claimed that your chances of an offer are no more than 15%, if an editor loves your book and brings it to acquisitions. Does anyone have a view on the accuracy of this? It seems very low, but what do I know!?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can answer you really, as it's so dependent on so many factors.

Depends on what's on the list going forward, depends on what other editors in the house are championing, depends on how many slots in the schedule are taken, depends on how much they think it'll take, budget-wise, and what's in the budget, depends on whether other people on the team even like it as much...

So much of it is entirely specific to the house and the time I don't think anyone could really give a number, besides by looking at last year's numbers or something, which would also not be the mot telling because see above other editors, time, etc.

MaggieMc

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Cornflake. I knew it was a silly question when I asked it, I just couldn't help myself :) Submission is an exercise in controlling my obsessive qualities!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, it's understandable -- and maybe someone far more knowledgeable than I will be along in a few to give a decent number, because ... stuff I'm not thinking about. I'm just a wee flake, lots in the box.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You'd be better off asking your agent, or the editor who is taking your book to acquisitions. And if they do come back with a figure which looks very strongly in your favour remember it's still not guaranteed. Still, fingers tightly crossed here.

MaggieMc

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Old Hack and Cornflake. Lots going on at the moment and its looking really good. Fingers, toes and everything else crossed and I'll let you guys know the outcome. Eek...

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I once read somewhere the chances are 25 to 30 percent, which scared me silly (I was on sub at the time), but as cornflake said, there are so many variables involved that you really can't pull a solid number. All you can do is cross everything, count on nothing, and hope. Good luck and bon courage! (I think waiting for an acquisitions meeting is the WORST waiting of all, but usually it's over pretty soon. Usually.)

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your chances are zero, unless you've written the book. They're still zero if it's a crappy book. They rise higher the better your story is, the better your agent is and the phase of the moon you were born under.

By the way, a piece of string is 19 and 3/4 inches. Or seven meters if you're across the pond.

Jeff

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Your chances are zero, unless you've written the book. They're still zero if it's a crappy book. They rise higher the better your story is, the better your agent is and the phase of the moon you were born under.

You forgot about whether or not the agent had a good breakfast or an argument with the spouse in the morning. And a shipping container full of other variables.

For the poster: All you can do is write the book. To the best of your ability. That's all you can control. Everything beyond that is cawsmology.

caw

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score

By the way, a piece of string is 19 and 3/4 inches. Or seven meters if you're across the pond.

Jeff

One would imagine that if the book is in acquisitions, it's been written.

It's also probably better than crappy.

MaggieMc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,
This is old now, but I've just come across it and thought I would update, just for fun : ) Book made it through acquisitions ....a few times! Ended up getting six offers of pub here in my home territory, and it's also sold since in a couple of overseas territories. I am knee deep in the structural edit at the moment and still absolutely can't believe it.

Thanks to those who took the time to post here ...it distracted me in a moment of madness!

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for replying to the thread! nice to see the outcome at the end of the question :)