Saying farewell; thanks for the good times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Okay, to state it bluntly: after fifteen years of not selling worth a fig, the failure of my last (and final) novel did me in, so I'm hanging up my spurs, riding off into the sunset, paddling the River Styx; any metaphor will do.

I'll always cherish the folks I've come to know here, and from time to time may I pop in to say hello.

So long, gentle people, and pax.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, to state it bluntly: after fifteen years of not selling worth a fig, the failure of my last (and final) novel did me in, so I'm hanging up my spurs, riding off into the sunset, paddling the River Styx; any metaphor will do.

I'll always cherish the folks I've come to know here, and from time to time may I pop in to say hello.

So long, gentle people, and pax.

You'll always be part of this community as far as I'm concerned.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, Gravity. :(

Perhaps you can check in a non-writing-related thread (or any AW thread, really) from time to time (if you want and when you feel comfortable to do so)?

(I personally don't write or read much anymore for various reasons, but I still hang around a bit, from time to time.)

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good heavens, if everyone who was no longer writing left us, I'd miss some of my favorite people. I hope you'll continue to hang out here, among people who enjoy your company, more than an occasional drop in.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All the best in what life has for you next! I've always thought of you as a fixture here and you will be missed.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Took me fifteen years of rejects to get published. A friend of mine spent twenty years. I feel your pain. Best of luck to you.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
You'll always be part of this community as far as I'm concerned.

Good heavens, if everyone who was no longer writing left us, I'd miss some of my favorite people. I hope you'll continue to hang out here, among people who enjoy your company, more than an occasional drop in.

What they said. I do hope you'll come back and kick back with us whenever you can.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry to read this. Take care, be sure to visit and check in. I always have fresh virtual coffee cake available.

Before you go, I have to ask. Have you truly considered the Gravity of your decision? ...I'll see myself out...

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, shucks. First topic of yours I've ever read, Gravity, and I'm already missing you.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I always thought you were semi-successful, with books published. It's been couple of years since I visited AW, but still. I gave up writing for other pursuits two years ago, but haven't totally given up or lost the dream. I consider myself on hold right now. What shall you do with your time?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Oh man this makes me sad because I'm selfish and I like people to stay around forever! (Okay that got a little creepy sounding there . . .) But I also think it's important that we engage in self care, and if leaving this space does that for you then I support your efforts. That being said, as others have also said, you are welcome to just hang even if you aren't writing. :)

Anyway, I wish you much luck with future endeavors! Hugs!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry to read this, Gravity! I'd like to echo the others upthread for you to continue to hang out. But if you choose not to, I wish the best is all your endeavors!

folkchick

Not a new kid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thescribe.godaddysites.com
Honestly, don't leave here and don't give up. Rejection is hard but you're higher up on the list of ability and success than you think. Write a letter to yourself and say all the stuff you wish would happen and all the stuff that has gotten you down, and then write how much you love doing this job and would do it no matter what. It's a craft--you've already conquered most of the difficulty of it. Don't give up, just take a breather. And don't leave. You're not allowed. :evil

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Oddly"? I daresay not.

Maybe the timing is Fate's way of telling you not to be a doofus.

SoulofaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with folkchick and Maryn - don't give up! I don't know you but it sounds like you've spent enough time with writing that it'd be a shame to give it up. Just knowing how much it'd hurt me to throw in the towel on writing... it hurts vicariously seeing someone else do it. Maybe just take a break?

Status
Not open for further replies.