Writing on an iPad using a BT keyboard?

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
So, my personal computer at home is a Windows 7 desktop, and it already gets use for internet, image management, video editing, web editing, etc.

My work laptop (also Win7) is pretty beefy, but I don't want to mix my writing on with my day job.

I have an old (2005) MacBook Pro with both a bad optical drive and hard drive, so I'd hate to invest time to re-image this when it's that old.

Besides my phone, which would be ridiculous to try and write on, all I have left is an iPad 3, which seems fast enough, but the on screen keyboard is not really able to keep up with me.

I've considered making a move to using this for writing, leaning toward Scrivener, but would really need a dedicated keyboard (Bluetooth). Does anyone else use an iPad with a BT KB for writing? If so, what kb works best for you?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I've considered making a move to using this for writing, leaning toward Scrivener, but would really need a dedicated keyboard (Bluetooth). Does anyone else use an iPad with a BT KB for writing? If so, what kb works best for you?

I type faster than I think, but though I bought a BT keyboard for my iPad, I can't get my fingers to squeeze together and still functionally type. Frankly, I do better with the on screen keypad. I know other folks seem to have no problem with it, but that's my experience.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
I type faster than I think, but though I bought a BT keyboard for my iPad, I can't get my fingers to squeeze together and still functionally type. Frankly, I do better with the on screen keypad. I know other folks seem to have no problem with it, but that's my experience.

What size Bluetooth keyboard were you using? I was thinking that if I did go that route, it'd be a full size one.

So, it sounds like you do write on your iPad though, right? Are you using Scrivener or some other app? I have Pages on here from when Apple was practically giving it away, but am not a huge fan of that layout. For the price of $20, Scrivener seems a decent enough tool and a popular one among writers, though I've noticed most feedback has come from those on more robust machines like a laptop or desktop environment.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Both Mr. Maryn and The Kid (our adult daughter) use a Logitech keyboard with their iPad and/or phone. It's the Logitech Bluetooth Easy-Switch K811. I've used it briefly and was able to type on it easily. It's backlit, so you can also type in the dark, if that's a thing. (It is for us, mainly due to hotel rooms and insomnia.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a logitech keyboard K480, which works with my iPad and Android phone. It's a great size for typing and very easy to use. It's a Godsend for working on Scrivener iOS.[h=1][/h]

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The BT keyboard my girls use rolls up and is for small fingers.

But I love my iPad Mini for typing. I am quite fast too, but I split the keyboard (thumbs together and swipe apart) and am able to type fast with my thumbs now about as fast as on a keyboard.

i had Scrivener on my MacBook Air, and last year bought the iOS App for Storyist for my iPad Mini. It's amazing! So I am trying out the Mac version of Storyist (free to try for Nano or shorter free trial for anyone) to see if I want that.

I am glad Scrivener finally now has an iOS App, but I already fell in love with Storyist on my iPad Mini- so easy to use and just everything.

i would have no desire to carry around keyboard, but that's just imo and my 2 cents.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
What size Bluetooth keyboard were you using? I was thinking that if I did go that route, it'd be a full size one.

So, it sounds like you do write on your iPad though, right? Are you using Scrivener or some other app? I have Pages on here from when Apple was practically giving it away, but am not a huge fan of that layout. For the price of $20, Scrivener seems a decent enough tool and a popular one among writers, though I've noticed most feedback has come from those on more robust machines like a laptop or desktop environment.

Scrivener on iOS is quite lovely, but it doesn't (yet) have all the features of Scrivener for Windows or OS X.

It's meant more as a supplement than a stand-alone. If you're curious, try the NaNo special edition of Scrivener with is fully unlocked until Dec. 7.

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And I should say, if you absolutely can't get used to the screen keyboard, at home you obviously are not carrying around a heavy one so it might be nice for you to have a full keyboard there.

Me personally, I can't imagine using a keyboard at home and the screen later. I like consistency. But also, I thought about how small the split keyboard is on screen, if your thumbs are longer than mine, you can keep the keyboard as it is and get used to fast typing. I just have thumbs too short, so I can't comfortably reach all keys when the regular screen keyboard is there, without lifting and reaching over. Instead, with the split keyboard on the Mini, I effortlessly move my thumbs to their correct keys. It took a while to get used to it, but now I type just as fast as I did with a regular keyboard.

if I were to get a Bluetooth keyboard, however, I would want one like my girls'
-it rolls up, is a rubber silicone type feel, and instead of real pressure on keys you just tap your fingers (so it's easier, feels like tapping the screen). I stopped borrowing it for 2 reasons: I had to remember to. charge it (oops) and it was a bit small for adult fingers. Although, the more I used it the better it got, so who knows. And we bought them a couple years ago, there should be more and better ones out there by now, so if you don't want to have to push down a full key each time, might be worth looking at that aspect (I'm sure that style of tap keyboards has a name, but I don't know what).

Interesting note about that- my girls stopped using the keyboards within a week and instead use their thumbs amazingly fast as well.

Also Scrivener for Mac is definitely good, nothing bad about it (and AW gets some proceeds as AW Admin mentions above).

But I love Storyist for iOS now even more, so I would encourage you to consider it. And you could try both Scrivener and Storyist on Mac for free now for sure. I have Scrivener on the Mac and Storyist app for iOS for iPad Mini.

I wish AW could get some proceeds from Storyist for Mac if we choose to purchase it...

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Well, been on Scrivener for 30 days now and like it a lot! I've given the link to buy it to "Santa" as well as a Brydge keyboard so will have to revert to Word and Pages after the 7th. If there's no license key in my stocking, then on the 25th I'll buy them myself. Even at full price, it's not a deal breaker.

My folks are pretty tech savvy and have always encouraged my creative outlets in the past, from singing to photography, and writing. So, my guess is they've done it again. Will know in 24 days LOL

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Done - Brydge keyboard is purdy kewl as is Scrivener with that license key/activation completed! :)

AW Admin is right, this is pretty snazzy, and I could see myself using this full time.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Roughly 5 weeks shy of the anniversary of my Brydge keyboard, I sadly spilled a bit of green tea on it and the J, H, Y, and 7 keys are beyond repair. I immediately powered off, flipped it upside down and tossed in a tray of rice. Most keys still work, but with my nom de plum (Jason), the loss of the J is a deal breaker. Grudginly, I am cursing under my breath and ordering a replacement because that’s how much I love this keyboard companion to the iPad!

If only they made a keyboard protector for the Brydge! LOL

Maybe I’ll put a layer of Saran-Wrap around it...