Favorite Line of the Day - NaNo 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 15 (I didn't write anything on the 16th):

(My MC, a princess, has just reached the age when she may judge small matters (under her parents' supervision), but her father has her judge something that's a bit heavier than she was expecting.)

Erika looked at him. “You call that a small matter?”
Tristan grinned. “Oh, trust me, you don't want to see the large matters that we deal with.”
“I thought I was going to judge a small claims case.”

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Still, fixing the situation with Captain Li would probably go a long way to returning me to a Maxed-out level of self-satisfaction.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
With limbs weighted down by the impending choice of what to do when he was face-to-face with a broken promise, (he) climbed the temple’s slope steps without ever raising his eyes above the spot of his next footstep.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 17:

(My MC, a princess (Erika), has recently achieved a certain age and gone through a public ceremony; part of this involves choosing someone that will, it is expected, be her future spouse and rule the queendom with her; she chose her bodyguard (Gwen). Now, the ceremony's over, and the Queen raises an issue.)

“Well, I suppose the festivities are over. Gather your things, and then you may settle in for the night. Gwen, whose room will you be sleeping in?”
“Pardon, Your Majesty?” Gwen asked, confused.
“Will you be keeping your room, or shall I assign it to someone else?”
Gwen understood and found herself to be a bit surprised.
Regina smiled. “No need to sneak around or avoid awkward situations any longer.”
Erika looked at Gwen. “What are you waiting for? Say yes for Ladies' sakes.”
Gwen grinned. “I shall sleep in your daughter's bed, Your Majesty.”

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
"Wow. I don’t think my parents needed to have a discussion about cannibalism with me at such a young age."

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Her lips curl into a pout. "You are no fun, Hale Q. If I wanted to be around a bunch of boys with suppressed libidos, I would have stayed on the starship." She manages to curl her hand around in my grip until it's clasping mine. She lifts it to her mouth and kisses my knuckles.

"Stop it," I say again, much weaker this time. "Who knows what you'll steal off me this time? Probably take my whole arm."

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Favorite line of yesterday:

His eye's bulge out of his head, then roll back into his skull and I watch as he seems to melt, his body crashing into the IV cart and tumbling to the floor. I think I may have killed him.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 18:

“I need to see your ID.”
I stared at Kelly, surprised. “You've already seen it.”
“I know, but I have to card the customers each time.”
“You didn't card Tiffany.”
“Yeah, but she works here. Employees don't need to be carded more than once.”
I sighed and got out my wallet.
“Sorry, but I have to follow the rules.”
“I know. I work at a place with stupid rules, too.” I showed Kelly my driver's license.

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
“The more I think about it, the more I think making the drops are the only way we’re going to have any kind of a life from here on out. According to the public, we’re infamous criminals. We may as well live up to our label.”

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
"Hey, what are you guys up to?"

"Nothing," I say.

"Threatening his life," Oona counters.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday's fave lines:

Just when I think I may not be a burden to him after all, I realize I've been kidding myself. I've been allowing myself to daydream that this is real life, that we can be together, that even if I never make any more improvements, we can be happy together because he loves me and wants us to be a family.
But it's all a lie I tell myself to get me through the long, hideous, torturous hours of nothingness that make up my day. He wants a life, a family. He wants kids, and I'd give anything to be able to make that happen.
Anything except be his kid myself.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
"How can you write a song about Chione, when you've barely experienced the planet? You've either been here or at the weather station. Will your song be about cables and gears? About beds and fireplaces?" She leans back and gazes at the ceiling, as if she could see the stars above. "Snow twinkling in the moonlight. Me warm in the Chione garb I bought today. You, freezing your ass off because you haven't seen the inside of a Chione shop."

"I'll have you know that that's not true. That's where we met San."

She blows out her lips. "Oh. San."

"You are not jealous of her. Stop playing at it."

She gives me that impish grin and launches herself to her feet, grabbing a hold of my hand and tugging me towards the entrance. "Come on. Take a walk in the snow with a girl."

Last edited:

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
(Oh man, it was really hard to pick a part of this scene to post. This part seemed the least info-dump-y.)

Charlie’s eyes tear up.

CHARLIE
"But how are you going to be an inventor?"

KID
"I’m not."

CHARLIE
"What do you mean? Mariella said you would!"

KID
"She keeps believing that, because it’s nicer than admitting that I have no future."

The tears spill out of Charlie’s eyes.

CHARLIE
"You have a future! We’re going to be bounty hunters together!"

Kid stands up from her chair.

KID
"Wake up, Charlie! That’s your future, not mine. I’m getting this pay-out, then I'm going back to the dirt."

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 20:

(MC and another officer just got chewed out by the captain in private.)

Then Daily and I left Davis' office.
“Whew! We were gettin' worried!” Tony joked.

Last edited:

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Aileen had not set foot in a library since she had visited her brother in Edinburgh that one time, when Andrew was twenty and she was eight, but the smell had stayed with her. It was a mushroom and oak kind of a smell, a flattened musk smell. That day, she had stuck her face into as many books as she could pull from the shelves, and Andrew had laughed and told her she might be so lucky as to marry a university-educated man one day, and he might have books of his own that she could smell.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"We had a herd of geeks when I was in high school but none of us were organized enough to form a club. Christ, it took every ounce of effort for us to remember every Friday night was gaming night. In college, though, we gamed whenever we could get a conference room in one of the libraries or when there was open space in the dorm’s common areas. I wrote a lot of term papers in between saving throws."

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Favorite line(s):

He kisses me hard on the mouth, desperate and pleading. “Stay.”

Of course, that isn't really how it happened, only how I wish it had.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's just frozen water, falling in crystals and fractals. It's nothing fancy. Logically, I know this. Yet the beauty of the flakes falling into Johee's hair as she dances underneath the floating lights mesmerizes me. I hold out my hand to catch a flake--really, a bunch of flakes stuck together to make it look like one large snowflake--and it's not until it sits on my hand without melting that I realize that, beyond all reason, I've used my fake hand to catch it. It has to be her influence, treating that arm like it's exactly the same as my other one. The difference has always been there for me, no matter how similarly the fingers react or how superior the special features of my mechanical arm make it. It's not my arm, not my hand.

I curl my fingers around the flake and shake my head. I'd gotten used to certain things. The feeling of inadequacy about my arm, my inferiority to Max, the certainty that our friendship was the only relationship I was bound to have. Everything feels different now.

Last edited:

pentimental

Registered
Reaction score
“Oh, wow! I could feel the instant you did it, like shining rays of light flashing through my hands, and your aura and her aura mixed and turned all golden, it was awesome!” This from a 30-something neo-hippy white woman with dreadlocks who looked like she was about to faint. There was one in every bunch.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 21:

A sudden fear gripped me – a fear that I might lose Tiffany. I couldn't bear that. I had to set her mind at ease immediately. “I love you.”

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
‘Well, goodnight,’ Aileen said, and pulled the covers up. James climbed in behind her and wrapped himself, as he always did, around the tiny frame of her, and pushed his face into her hair, and filled every space she had created for herself until she couldn’t breathe at all, not one single breath, not one invisible particle of oxygen. His hands went to her skin, under her nightshirt, and he lay them flat and warm beside her lungs that had constricted with their lack of oxygen, and he breathed his own clean and easy breath into her ear, and all the organs seized up and the blood halted its journey around her body, and she said, with the last molecule of air she had, ‘Please don’t.’

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(Zack owns a comic book store and produces two indie titles of his own work. Kerry is a guy he's seen come into the store over the years and they finally have a chance to start going out together. Unfortunately, during one date they have an argument and come this ][ close to calling each other fake comic book geek boys. Zack fires back with a speech similar to those Dixie Carter gave in Designing Women. This is only part of it, maybe a third?)

"I’m still wearing my work boots because they’re comfortable and go from fashionable to functional in a hot New York second in these miserable Minnesota winters, to be honest, and I have a pink Ramones t-shirt because I’m a thirty-five year old gay man and fuck clothing color because fuck gender constraints that were shoved down my fucking throat at home until I left for college. And I fucking rock pink with my red hair, and I wear the black Levi’s 501s because I will be the first one to tell you I have the most incredible ass you’ve ever laid your commercial property and real estate lawyerly eyes on and these are the best goddamned jeans in the world to fucking prove it to you."

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
CHARLIE
She raised you, didn’t she? And she takes care of you? She definitely loves you, I can tell.

KID
I....

CHARLIE
Why is it so hard for you two to say that you’re a family?

Status
Not open for further replies.