Favorite Line of the Day - NaNo 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Favorite of the day.

I slam the truck door and stomp up the front step, but can't find my key and have to stand there like an idiot, fuming, while he takes his sweet time unlocking the door for me. Not exactly the temper tantrum I was hoping for.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Maybe this one:

Emily thought the carer was probably not a witch. She looked like one, that much was true. And yes, her derelict mansion made thumping noises that couldn’t be explained, and there was a light in the hallway that turned itself on and off. And, sure, she had a book of spells open on her kitchen bench, but it was just as likely a kind of fun cookbook as anything else.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I've been underwhelmed with my writing until today so i haven't shared in here, but in my semi-delirium I wrote a thing that made me laugh. It definitely will not survive revisions.

Her faint accent made him feel like he was in some movie scene. Wanking the Enemy. They’d have mind-blowing sex, and while he was passed out after, she’d use his computer to plant the virus that shuts down America’s nuclear capabilities. Final shot, she’s got her arm draped over his chest as the missiles fly over the Atlantic. Guys in black suits and sunglasses pound at the door. He opens his eyes and says, "Darling, what have you done?" And CUT!

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
<3

Though he’d never tell her the words she wanted to hear or press his soft lips against her own, when his finger looped around her right ear, tucking back the hair from her face, the gesture held the weight of a thousand kisses.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Favorite line(s) of the day:

“Here's the thing, and try not to get your feelings hurt, but you always fall in love with the guys you know aren't capable of loving you back. And you do it on purpose.”

Last edited:

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
When Envy came too, she was soaking wet.
Worse, she was clean.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Favorite lines for today:

I can't catch my breath, I can't remember where I am or who I am or anything but him. My heart pounds in my chest as my brain rushes forward with possibilities. What if.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
I'm throwing in some lines of an all-ages action-adventure comic I'm writing for a small, independent comics company in America, as it's taking up most of my NaNo time, lol. It's called "Kung Fu Biker Bunnies" :D

Context: The Bunnies have just pulled up at a gas station to refuel, and the clerk naturally freaks out at the sight of them, firing a beanbag-shotgun (no bullets in kids comics), hitting the smallest Bunny and sending him flying into a chilled drinks cabinet...

PAGE FOUR
Panel 1: Toon is sprawled amongst scattered soda pop bottles, eyes rolling and head spinning (birdies, bells, whatever you want...carrots?). He’s lifting a shaky thumbs-up. A soda bottle on the shelf above is teetering precariously on the edge.
TOON: I... I’m a-okay!

Panel 2: The bottle drops, bonking off Toon’s head. Cartoonish pain and shock are written on his face.
SFX: Clunk
TOON: I’m good - erk...!

Panel 3: He collapses back into his makeshift ‘throne’ of bottles.
TOON: Et tu, soda pop.....?

pentimental

Registered
Reaction score
What's the point in joining a writer's forum if you're not willing to share any writing, right? So this is my first attempt to get past forum phobia, or Fear of Posting.
Today, from the fiction version of my double story:

“You don’t want to take that road, Joan. Hell, you might as well be the mechanical rabbit at a greyhound track. The local boys use it for drag racing.”

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
This one, I think:

On reflection, it seems Isla did not become a witch at all. She was called one, by the neighbourhood children. And after she found Sahara in the 7-11 bin, perhaps she just assumed she had become one. Most days she bundled herself away in the turret and let the black cat climb all over her until it perched on her shoulder, as it always did. Isla did not know if Sahara was a boy or a girl — it howled at her like a scorned wife, but it left her alone all night like a philandering husband.

moonwatch178

The Angels Have The Phone Box
Registered
Reaction score
This is great! I'm loving the lines everyone! Here's mine:
The front step bit into Emerson’s legs like a toothless crocodile intent on gumming its latest meal.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Favorite line(s) of the day:

“You going to tell me what's wrong?”

“Yes,” I say. But I don't look his way, don't say anything else, I just close my eyes, lean my head back, and try to breathe. I feel like there's a vice on my head, squeezing. One more twist and the whole thing will explode.

pentimental

Registered
Reaction score
From the nonfiction version:

My dreams were no longer lucid. They were the trash dreams of the subconscious, my dreaming self as both spectator and hapless participant in sifting-through of the day’s small dramas. Then even those dreams were gone. I slept restlessly, awakening to mute darkness, remembering nothing.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I just introduced a Cheshire cat and I'm pretty sure I need it.

A blue and brown blur flew out of the trees, tackling the bird and falling to the ground in a flurry of feathers and growls. Then there was a snap, and the flurry resolved into a blue-furred cat with two brown stripes, the bird’s broken neck between its teeth. It growled and shook its head, waving the dead bird around.
“Pretty sure you got it,” I said as the Cheshire cat proudly laid its kill at my feet.
“Dodge is the best, yes yes. Scritches for Dodge, please.”

(And in case you're wondering, yes, he IS named for Charles Dodgson, aka Lewis Carroll)

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
TRANSITION TRANSITION TRANSITION MORE STUFF FOR ZACK TO DO I PREDICT THIS IS GOING NOWHERE

I swear. I get betterer and betterer each year I participate in NaNo!

Last edited:

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
I like this one--

And, I mean, I know the mechanics, and I’ve had my blinding, despairing, futile crushes over the years, but I don’t know how those all go together with me, Ashwin, and a hotel room shared with two other geeky guys.

Last edited:

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
November 14:

(MC is a fast-food worker that can kill people with a thought.)

The asshole actually slammed his hand on the counter. “I wanna speak to a manager!”
God high up enough the chain for ya? Die, asshole!

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Favorite lines of the day:

"You took a match, struck it against his heart, and burned his whole life to the ground. You left him with less than nothing. Nothing would be okay, a man can recover from nothing. But when you love someone and lose them, there is a deficit. It's deeper than nothing. It's a gaping whole inside you that can't be filled by anyone or anything.”

Last edited:

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
(I don't know why this is my favourite, but it is.)

JAVIER
How did you do that?

MIGUEL
I just showed them the truth.

JAVIER
How did you hide everyone?

MIGUEL
I concealed the truth. It’s basically the same thing, but in reverse.

pentimental

Registered
Reaction score
Fiction version:

While Mark kept his eyes soberly on the road, Lorena was tossing back a few cold ones, hoisting herself halfway out the window to wave along cautious drivers with the lusty cheer, “Mule parade, y’all! Make way for the mule parade! Wooo!”

pentimental

Registered
Reaction score
Nonfic (did both today):

I pulled Walter to a halt and sat very still, staring. I took off my glasses to wipe them dry as the rain increased. Walter reached down to graze on the roadside brush. I jerked his head up abruptly. Not here.

We turned north and left the silent valley behind.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
She tapped past buildings she had known as a much younger woman: a window she had gazed from while a stranger plucked the elastic of her garter; a balcony on which she had reclined in a wicker chair and laughed into a bottle of cheap red wine; a hotel where a man whose name she had never known had told her he would leave his wife; the wide verandah of a pub where she had listened to something called the blues. She didn’t know any of this, of course, having made a very careful selection of memories to retain, but she did feel the long fingers of the past reach out to her.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I've been struggling with what to do next for days with this novel, and I finally had a revelation. I made my MC put it into words.

“We’re looking at this like soldiers, trying make this methodical and fair like we managed last time. But it’s not like last time. Then, people were angry. Now? Now they’re scared. Then, we had everything we needed at our fingertips. Now, we’ve got nothing. And scared people with nothing don’t play at being soldiers.”

“Then what do they do?”

A smile curled on my lips.

“They rebel.”

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
“And you're 6' 6”? God, I'm glad I never came up against you on the [football] field, you'd flatten me.”

I glance and Ezra and laugh. “Well, he's a lover, not a fighter, so he may have chased you around a bit, but I promise you, you'd want to get tackled.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.