Favorite Line of the Day - NaNo 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Fave lines of today:

“I said no.” I'm so angry that words come forward, squeezed out like the last bit of toothpaste from the end of the tube. “You have. No respect. For me.”

M_Writes

Registered
Reaction score
I've got hours of work ahead of me still, but I like this line so much I'm going to go ahead and call it:

"Christabel, all her skill in the kitchen aside, had about as much charisma as the stove."

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Day 25. Most of a scene. It's a callback to a scene at the beginning of the book, and that is not Max.

"My arm?" I try to lift my head up, but it's too heavy. "Is a demon poking it with forks?"

"No, baka. You broke it, and the doctors fixed it up. You're waiting off the drugs they put you on and we'll go home."

"Don't have a home," I mumble. "Born without a home. Hate Set. Hate home. Don't make me go home." Tears run out of my eyes, and I can't lift my hands to wipe them away. Something's wrong. I'm broken, I'm broken.

"Shh, you're here, you're fine. Just close your eyes and fall asleep."

I close my eyes, obediently, and a pair of soft lips press themselves to mine.

"Love y', Max," I mumble.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
His finger smarted. Envy looked up at him, eyes shinning in the unearthly light, a pleased expression on her smug face.
How in the realms of demons was she still following him? The Captain had been right; death’s guard must've been instructed to refuse her. The little vixen was too much devil for hell itself.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Youssef spent his own evenings walking into the town, to the grotto, where one woman or another stood at the top of the steps and sang into the night. It was hot there, thick with spices coming off the street food stalls, and near the brothel, someone had strung ribbons of bare bulbs. The working girls found their way down to the night market and their bare shoulders gleamed with the reflection of the lights and of the moon. He knew he would have to be up at three-thirty to get down to the boat but he stayed out late anyway, listening to the music and putting his lips to the salt-sweet and browned shoulders.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fourth wall? What fourth wall?

"Look, I’m sure the kids watching at home get the idea that this is supposed to be a metaphor for me talking to the specter of Death. Kind of like what Roy Scheider got to do with Jessica Lange in All That Jazz. Except you’re hotter than Roy Scheider and obviously not Jessica Lange."

ETA: Okay. I like the above but I love this one more:

"Oh, my. I’m hurt. I’m crushed. I’m hurt and I’m crushed."

"Knock it off. Don’t make me say your name."

"Why? What would happen?" his companion asked and leaned closer. His breath smelled sweet and floral this time, like violets and roses.

"You’d get mad enough to stomp on the floor and get your foot stuck in a board then while trying to free yourself, you stomp your other foot and break into a million little pieces."

"I shall tell you a secret, then: my name is not Rumpelstiltskin."

"Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice."

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Favorite lines of today:

I just stare, words floating around in space, not connecting. Occasionally a few might bump together, twisting around in my head and landing on my tongue, but they disappear before I can speak them. It's a cruel tease.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
After avoiding pronouns for Johee in Oona's POV for the entire book (phew):

There was one other thing to feel guilty about, and as she looked at the heartbreak in her sister's eyes over realizing that Mr. Q liked Johee as a boy not as a girl, Oona had to own up to it.

To her, Johee had always been a boy.

Sure, it was easy enough to think of Johee as a sister. It was a title, like "commander" or "engineer." Johee had many sisterly qualities, but in the end, was still male. The skin-tight Hanaran uniform made it very easy to remember it, although the dresses hid the male attributes well enough. And so Oona had hovered, in this state of not accepting Johee as either a "he" or a "she," not knowing what it meant that Johee physically had male parts but insisted on being female.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Favorite lines of today:

He's hurting and there's not a damn thing I can do for him, even if he'd let me.
So I watch, feeling crippled and inadequate, wanting to save someone who refuses to be saved.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
The sun and the blue sea would work together to claw their way into the tourists’ heads, and suddenly they would notice the man selling the crayfish, the high Cuban cheekbones he had, the inexplicable doe-eyed blinking he did, the eyelashes he might have had artificially curled, and the way his muscles moved under his shirt as he worked. And those tourists would find a reason to buy another crayfish, and to sit in the sun a little longer, and to watch Youssef while he moved the crays and jammed his knife into their backs and sweated and smiled and blinked and stretched.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Their daughter had been born with a lot of hair. Her curls were coming in, already. Ryan reached for one, curling it around his finger. He let it bounce back into place and smiled, for a moment, forgetting what he was about to do. Then the realization hit him, and his face fell.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
"I'm sorry I'm such a dolt," I say between kisses.

"Shh. I'm trying to forget that part."

pentimental

Registered
Reaction score
From the fiction ms.:

“Y’know it’s funny, the ideas an outsider like me has about the South. I wouldn’t have expected downtown to have a café. A couple of colorful bars, maybe, but not a chichi coffeehouse,” Joan said, stirring cream into her cup.

“Oh, it has those,” Mary Lou said. She and Debbie exchanged a private-joke look. “But we wouldn’t have gone in anyway. I don’t drink.”

“But I do,” Debbie piped in. “She just has no consideration for the needs and comfort of others,” Debbie addressed Joan in a gossipy aside.

Joan tried to think of something witty to say, and failed. Mary Lou rescued her.

“Hey, I do the dishes,” she protested.

“But I do the cooking,” Debbie said, sitting up straighter and lifting her chin. “Food is more comforting than clean dishes, now everybody knows that.”

“Wouldn’t be so comforting if you served it on dirty dishes,” Mary Lou snorted.

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Even though Tasha had spoken truthfully, the words gripped the inside of Wren’s chest and twisted, leaving behind a fire that burned. She would always be compared to her mother, and she was tired of it.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
The baby’s life would be hard and eventful. However, one thing was certain: she would know love.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Favorite lines of today:

Right here, in front of all these people, he acts like we're the only two people in the entire world. I waited for him to love me openly like this for the first six months I knew him, and now he's doing it, all I want is for him to stop.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Who am I kidding? Max was probably only infatuated with her voice and what it could bring to his show. That's his M.O. It's why he saved me from my future on Set. It was easy, when I didn't know him, to believe it was out of feelings he had for me, then later when I was less deluded, out of a sense of friendship, or maybe simple gratitude. No, it was because I write damn good songs, and I write them fast, and I write them for his voice. Because I had ideas for how to make his show better and give him that much coveted freedom from his parents. Because I could advance him.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Sad characters. :(

“Kami is thinking about you, actually. She finds you . . . distractingly attractive.”
“At least someone does." She lowered her gaze at the sight of his pained expression and bit her lip to withhold the apology he deserved.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
Fave lines of the day:

WHAT? He...loves me? He loves me? Holy shit, this is huge.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
"Yes. She stole your speeder to go after Oona, and I'm stealing the captain's Laser to go after her."

"Okay, putting aside the dominos of theft here, what are you going to do once you get this Laser started?"

"I'm going to fly it!" The engines start up as I bypass the sensor and tell it that I'm the owner.

"Hale..."

I slam the access panel shut. "I'm going to fly it, and I'm going to get her back."

"You don't know how to fly."

"I'll figure it out."

"Hale, seriously."

"I'll figure it out! I am going to get her back! He's going to kill her." I fall to my knees and curl myself until my head is against them, trying not to dissolve into tears. The hopelessness of my quest falls on me. I can't even look at the night sky. How could I fly a ship through space, even if I broke atmosphere without crashing into the planet?

Max kneels beside me and puts a hand on my back. Softly, he says, "Get in. The back seat."

I look up quickly at him.

"Just look at this Laser. She's beautiful. She deserves a better pilot than you. Besides, if this hare-brained plan succeeds, I can't let you have all the glory."

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Okay, I am going a little overboard, but hell. You know what it’s like to have a favorite comic book and comic artist. There’s always that lingering question if you’ll ever get to make an ass of yourself in front of them when you meet. And I’d say I’m a rousing success at it."

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
She grabs me by the collar and shoves me against the ship, her arm cocked to punch me.

"Johee!" I gasp, winded from the sudden action and my run.

Her eyes widen. "What are you--" She seems to answer her own question, dropping her arm and grabbing my face, pulling me into a hard kiss.

"You can skip that sign of gratitude with me," says Max, catching up to us finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.