Your NaNo Opening Sentence - 2016 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
This is always a fun thread! Couldn't find one for this year, so I'm starting it (admins, correct me if there's already one out there somewhere).

Friendly reminder: this not a place to crit openings, just share, comment and encourage.

I know some of you have been up since midnight writing (*bows in reverence*) how did those openings come out??

Lemme see whatcha got! :hooray:

Last edited:

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Regretting starting with action, but haven't yet found a way around it yet, so here it is (for now).

Roe ducked, a barbed chain cutting the air above his cheek.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I'm using NaNo to write and flesh out chapters and scenes that feature my youngest character (that have been giving me FITS) so this isn't the opening sentence of the novel, but it's the first one for Sophie's chapters.

One of the shortest sentences I've ever written (and it looks so weird sitting there all by its lonesome self...) —

Sylvan and Pastoral are among the prankster words of the English language.

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Whit’s mother had always told him that he--the child of former slaves--would have to work harder to live up to the same standards as everyone else, and a big part of that was always looking his best.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Baeni hands me the imager so I can connect it to the ship's comm system.

Last edited:

Engliman

In transatlantic accent hell.
Registered
Reaction score
I've already taken my opening sentence out back and put it out of its misery. However, my blanket ban on editing is holding true! If I hit 50k, I'll probably be able to add to this thread :)

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Inside her suit of armor, sweat rolled down Felisa’s scalp and back in strings like beads.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What a fun thread. First "burp" to come out as it were...

Crap!

^yup, that's it.

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
This reads completely without context, but my NaNo novel is springing from a short story I wrote, so basically I'm starting on chapter 3. I'll use what I need from the Short for chapters 1 & 2 after the novel's written.

Katrina hadn’t accounted for the complications of becoming visible, nor for her skittish reaction to being seen.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I never EVER keep the first sentence (because I rarely write in order) but as of today, the first line of the new manuscript is:

[Character's name here], dressed in coveralls, has his face pressed just above the “Sorry, we're closed” sign, his long hands cupped around his eyes.

eskay

Registered
Reaction score
I was about to post mine, then realized there was a giant, honking, grammatical error in the middle of it. :roll:

So I think now I'll refrain from re-reading anything I've already put down until December...

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
Posted visiting hours on the Farm began at noon and ended at 7 pm, but they were rarely observed.

In quick retrospect that and the next 300 words or so (at least) are gonna have to go. But not until they count toward my word goal on the 30th!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I like how un-open-y this one sounds. Immediate, that's the word.

Usually I have an open-y sentence, but I didn't have anything for this one, and then I was just, Meh, let's just start with them setting up the first event

MeghS

Registered
Reaction score
The weak and dreary morning light seeped through the warped glass of the old windows.

:shrug:

neongrey

petting every cat
Registered
Reaction score
I'm starting from an internal chapter, so, here's the start of chapter 5:

[The Businesswoman] keeps [The Priestess]'s revelation to herself, the awareness of potential power roiling around within her.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
"In seven hours, I would be on an airplane."

I always feel like an idiot in the first person...

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Down among the stalks, deep in the great groves, the edge of time itself seems blunted.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
The day I met Charlotte Evans wasn’t one of the better days of my junior year of high school.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I'm using NaNo to write and flesh out chapters and scenes that feature my youngest character (that have been giving me FITS) so this isn't the opening sentence of the novel, but it's the first one for Sophie's chapters.

One of the shortest sentences I've ever written (and it looks so weird sitting there all by its lonesome self...) —

Sylvan and Pastoral are among the prankster words of the English language.

Ditto to what the goat is doing for NaNo strategy. And I finally have words again, so yah!!!!! I'm also starting in the middle because I was like "um...crudcrudcrudcrud" for about ten minutes tonight staring at the screen, then just said screw it and started writing where I wanted to. So this is in the middle of a pirate fight, and Aurora is already regretting her plan :greenie

Gods, the man was a brute.

(Resisting urge to edit. Must. Not. Edit.)

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Bleh...

With gentle hands and unfaltering kind face, the High Priestess greeted each expect mother as if she was the queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.