Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: You Can't Have NaNo Without a Word Count Thread! (2016)

crazy spec fic writer L M Ashton's Avatar
    15xx for the 1st. I'm too lazy to look up the exact number. Now I'm on day two.

In transatlantic accent hell. Engliman's Avatar
    Phew, 5159 for the day and I'm exhausted. The last 1000 was quite the grind, though I'm not totally unhappy with what came out. I don't know that tomorrow will get close to it, but a head start is always nice!

Good going everyone!
    Aware (NaNoWriMo) - 6,687

1st - 6220. Started with a public holiday and an event, which was very helpful. It's now almost all the way through the 2nd for me though and I haven't done any writing yet >>
    Half Price Souls, recompose Issue 3 (February 2017)

www.tamlyndreaver.com

practical experience, FTW Evabeth's Avatar
    I am ending the day with 3,690 words. Goodnight.
    ​​​Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?

Ending today at 2039.

3382 for Day 1, so, right on track. I'm liking the voice I've found, though it'll take some editing to be intelligible throughout.
    Under the patronage of Murphy the Muse

When writing a novel that's pretty much entirely what life turns into: "House burned down. Car stolen. Cat exploded. Did 1500 easy words, so all in all it was a pretty good day."
    ~Neil Gaiman

practical experience, FTW DarienW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt T. View Post
    3619. I was far more productive than I expected, but I think some of that writing is drivel and will need to be cut. The opening two chapters are longer than I care for, and I feel I ramble in parts. That said, I have some good stuff for editing, whenever I get around to it. I haven't decided yet if I'll dedicate time throughout the month to cleaning up what I've written as I go along, like I did with my last manuscript, or leave it all until later.
    Matt,

I quoted you coz that's one of my concerns. I often back up and reread and fix along the way, but considering, I did alright.

And damn! I'm impressed with all of your numbers! I managed 3,103 today, which I'm happy with. I'm more scared about going forward into the "Un-outlined" territory!

Congrats on a great day 1 everyone--even if you didn't get to where you hoped!

Hiding. Possibly writing tiddlywinks's Avatar
    Technically I'm straddling Day 1/2 here with my count since I had to get started late this evening (blast work!), but I HAVE WORDS. For the first time in a MONTH. So, yah for doing NaNo, even though I'm still slightly cursing myself.

1211 words. I'll take that. And I'm sure in the days ahead, I'll have some 'big' days so I'm not too worried right now.

Because words.
    Loves to tell stories. Finds editing a necessary evil. No longer fueled by coffee (again).
    ------------

Red Riding Hood retelling - coming soon to an SYW near you (revising)
    Pirate fantasy, Book 1 - Updated Chapter 1 (drafting)
    Russian ballerina vampire romance - Chapter 1 (polishing)
    UF romance with zombies, dwarves 'n biker chicks - Chapter 1 (querying)

Bloggity blog |
    #Tweety tweets | Pinterest plot bunnies

practical experience, FTW meowzbark's Avatar
    At midnight, I clocked in 2334 words. I'm hoping to type a few hundred more before bed.
    4th Rewrite --> YA Paranormal, 73k words (on hold)
    Final revisions --> Dark Fantasy, 100k words

Twitter| Goodreads

Prepared to sing! AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    Ended the day on 2506.

Scrivener tells me that it was 2588. I'm an update-a-holic, but I had planned to go home from the write-in and write more, and instead my friend kidnapped me for dinner and chatting (perils of writing on vacation )
    Last edited by Sage; 11-02-2016 at 05:58 PM.
    I am the prince of Winter. My heart is of ice.
    And he's been slowly melting it for years.

Chorus audits:
    [x] Start of Something Big (contest)
    [x] Cottage for Sale (contest)
    [x] A Lot of Living
    [x] Nice Work if You Can Get it (contest)
    [x] Every Woman's Song
    [x] Don't Stop Medley

One day down, and I'm 1667 words behind.

Work, kids, pieces falling off the house, ARGH!!!!
    -- Myrea
    "When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won. Donít let the page win."
    Alasdair Stewart

I had second thoughts about posting my pitiful 575 word count, but reconsidered since I am sure there are others out there in the same leaking boat. That's what I keep telling myself anyway .
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing wax--
    Of cabbages--and kings--"

Lewis Carroll

Dream Gardens Podcast

Twitter

practical experience, FTW Mary Love's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmott View Post
    I had second thoughts about posting my pitiful 575 word count, but reconsidered since I am sure there are others out there in the same leaking boat. That's what I keep telling myself anyway .
    Awwah! I'd share some of my words with you jlmott, but you most certainty don't want them!
    Last edited by Mary Love; 11-02-2016 at 07:58 PM.

I love seeing all these word counts, it really motivates me to keep going when I want to give up (like this morning for example, when I didn't want to get up because it was dark and raining and the bed was warm and I got up early yesterday why do I have to keep doing thiiiiiiiis)

Quote Originally Posted by jlmott View Post
    No word count is pitiful; most people will never even put one word on paper so you're already ahead of all those people who give up before they even try. I truly believe a good story can be as long OR as short as the writer wants it to be. Don't stop, even if you fall behind, because as long as you don't stop you'll eventually reach your goal (even if you reach it a little slower than others - no shame in that).

(Yesterday (as in, the day NaNoWriMo began) I heard that someone already hit the 50k mark - there is always someone better than you. The good news is, there's always more to strive for, too

Making Einstein cry since 1994 Maggie Maxwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aprettytruestory View Post
    (Yesterday (as in, the day NaNoWriMo began) I heard that someone already hit the 50k mark - there is always someone better than you. The good news is, there's always more to strive for, too
    There's always a group of people that scramble to hit 50k in a day, or the first weekend. I admire them. My best day record is only 5000ish.
    The insane who believe they are sane are crazy. The sane who know they are insane are writers.

It's Pitch Wars Time!

Blog (updated 07/31/17)| Twitter | Pinterest | Wattpad

practical experience, FTW Mary Love's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aprettytruestory View Post
    Yesterday (as in, the day NaNoWriMo began) I heard that someone already hit the 50k mark

That's awesome and crazy - I honestly thought it was a typo the first time I read it! 5000 is the best I've ever done in a day; after that my attention begins to wander and my writing starts to become babbly/incoherent (I think it's my brain trying to tell me it's done)

practical experience, FTW engmajor2005's Avatar
    Day 2 so far: 6,345. That's just writing on breaks/down time at work. I work job #2 tonight, so I won't get home until late(ish), but I hope to hammer out at least another 1,000 before bed.
    Reading The Issues

Being a genre fiction writer's cool, because people either love you or hate you...or think you're okay.

They used unnecessary quotation marks, and thus are dead to me.

Procrastinator Extraordinaire Lillian_Blaire's Avatar
    End of Day 2 count: 8,255. I'm hoping for more tonight, but I'm counting this as my official report, since you never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymz Connelly View Post
    I don't know that anyone could fill Lil's stilettos in her absence. She's very special and unique.
    Lil is just full of of sweetness and love, with a side of raunchy innuendo. That never hurt anyone! - Jaymz
    Tell that to the guy(s) manacled in her basement... - be frank

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Maxwell View Post
    There's always a group of people that scramble to hit 50k in a day, or the first weekend. I admire them. My best day record is only 5000ish.
    You don't suspect they write it beforehand and just copy and paste? Not to accuse anyone of cheating, but seriously, 50,000 words in a weekend? I find that super hard to believe.
    I don't know that anyone could fill Lil's stilettos in her absence. She's very special and unique.
    Lil is just full of of sweetness and love, with a side of raunchy innuendo. That never hurt anyone! - Jaymz

No, I think some people just really write 50K words. Check out the Beyond 50K forum. I don't think these people would be satisfied with a cheating number. They want the challenge and the bragging rights.

There's an AWer who writes novels in a day. He used to do a 3-day challenge (which I have successfully done), but now he finds that too easy. He's gotten those novels published too.
    Last edited by Sage; 11-02-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Chorus audits:
    [x] A Lot of Living
    [x] Every Woman's Song
    [x] Don't Stop Medley

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    No, I think some people just really write 50K words. Check out the Beyond 50K forum. I don't think these people would be satisfied with a cheating number. They want the challenge and the bragging rights.

There's an AWer who writes novels in a day. He used to do a 3-day challenge (which I have successfully done), but now he finds that too easy. He's gotten those novels published too.
    Wow. Well, I'm glad to hear I'm wrong. I'm usually a pretty fast writer, but I can't do 50,000 words in a weekend without a rough draft, unless I'm willing for it to be totally crap. And maybe not even then.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    While getting ready to continue on a story, I realized I had neglected to copy 34 words that I'd typed yesterday into the master file for submission to NaNo, so I'm revising my November 1 total to 1934 (by my count), 1935 (NaNo).

I was able to write a 42K MG novel in 3 days (I could have gotten to 45K, realistically, but the story was done), and that included driving time to the cabin we stayed in for our writing vacation. It required a novel that I didn't intend to publish, so I could get out of my head (although the first draft was not worse or better than others of mine, in general), and a plot that was easy to navigate: a quest with plot coupons my characters could collect.

Some may be pantsers who can start with nothing and run through a rough draft with no plans, and some may have gotten as detailed as the snowflake method, which does get you so far into the outline process that you're basically filling in details by the time you write your first draft. Since NaNo allows for outlining, I have no gripes about that as long as all words are written in November.

Also, some may be strings of words that are incoherent to everyone but the author. Not saying they all are, but some probably are

Chorus audits:
    [x] A Lot of Living
    [x] Every Woman's Song
    [x] Don't Stop Medley

Making Einstein cry since 1994 Maggie Maxwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian_Blaire View Post
    You don't suspect they write it beforehand and just copy and paste? Not to accuse anyone of cheating, but seriously, 50,000 words in a weekend? I find that super hard to believe.
    It's believable if you look at the math. 24 hours, midnight to midnight. Being generous and assuming six hours of sleep, plus three hours for food, bathroom breaks, finger rests, stuck moments, etc, that's 15 hours to write. 50,000 words divided by 15 hours is 3,334 words per hour, or 56 words per minute. Cut a few hours of sleep or breaks, even lower. It's difficult work, sure, but completely doable.
    The insane who believe they are sane are crazy. The sane who know they are insane are writers.

It's Pitch Wars Time!

Blog (updated 07/31/17)| Twitter | Pinterest | Wattpad

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast