You Can't Have NaNo Without a Word Count Thread! (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engliman

In transatlantic accent hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Phew, 5159 for the day and I'm exhausted. The last 1000 was quite the grind, though I'm not totally unhappy with what came out. I don't know that tomorrow will get close to it, but a head start is always nice!

Good going everyone!

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
1st - 6220. Started with a public holiday and an event, which was very helpful. It's now almost all the way through the 2nd for me though and I haven't done any writing yet >>

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
3382 for Day 1, so, right on track. I'm liking the voice I've found, though it'll take some editing to be intelligible throughout.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
3619. I was far more productive than I expected, but I think some of that writing is drivel and will need to be cut. The opening two chapters are longer than I care for, and I feel I ramble in parts. That said, I have some good stuff for editing, whenever I get around to it. I haven't decided yet if I'll dedicate time throughout the month to cleaning up what I've written as I go along, like I did with my last manuscript, or leave it all until later.

Matt,

I quoted you coz that's one of my concerns. I often back up and reread and fix along the way, but considering, I did alright.

And damn! I'm impressed with all of your numbers! I managed 3,103 today, which I'm happy with. I'm more scared about going forward into the "Un-outlined" territory!

Congrats on a great day 1 everyone--even if you didn't get to where you hoped!

:)

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Technically I'm straddling Day 1/2 here with my count since I had to get started late this evening (blast work!), but I HAVE WORDS. For the first time in a MONTH. So, yah for doing NaNo, even though I'm still slightly cursing myself.

1211 words. I'll take that. And I'm sure in the days ahead, I'll have some 'big' days so I'm not too worried right now.

Because words. :greenie

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
At midnight, I clocked in 2334 words. I'm hoping to type a few hundred more before bed.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Ended the day on 2506.

Scrivener tells me that it was 2588. I'm an update-a-holic, but I had planned to go home from the write-in and write more, and instead my friend kidnapped me for dinner and chatting (perils of writing on vacation :greenie )

Last edited:

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
I had second thoughts about posting my pitiful 575 word count, but reconsidered since I am sure there are others out there in the same leaking boat. That's what I keep telling myself anyway :e2cry:.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
I had second thoughts about posting my pitiful 575 word count, but reconsidered since I am sure there are others out there in the same leaking boat. That's what I keep telling myself anyway :e2cry:.

Awwah! :Hug2:I'd share some of my words with you jlmott, but you most certainty don't want them!

Last edited:

aprettytruestory

eating my words
Registered
Reaction score
I love seeing all these word counts, it really motivates me to keep going when I want to give up (like this morning for example, when I didn't want to get up because it was dark and raining and the bed was warm and I got up early yesterday why do I have to keep doing thiiiiiiiis)

No word count is pitiful; most people will never even put one word on paper so you're already ahead of all those people who give up before they even try. I truly believe a good story can be as long OR as short as the writer wants it to be. Don't stop, even if you fall behind, because as long as you don't stop you'll eventually reach your goal (even if you reach it a little slower than others - no shame in that).

(Yesterday (as in, the day NaNoWriMo began) I heard that someone already hit the 50k mark - there is always someone better than you. The good news is, there's always more to strive for, too :)

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
(Yesterday (as in, the day NaNoWriMo began) I heard that someone already hit the 50k mark - there is always someone better than you. The good news is, there's always more to strive for, too :)

There's always a group of people that scramble to hit 50k in a day, or the first weekend. I admire them. My best day record is only 5000ish.

aprettytruestory

eating my words
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome and crazy - I honestly thought it was a typo the first time I read it! 5000 is the best I've ever done in a day; after that my attention begins to wander and my writing starts to become babbly/incoherent (I think it's my brain trying to tell me it's done)

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Day 2 so far: 6,345. That's just writing on breaks/down time at work. I work job #2 tonight, so I won't get home until late(ish), but I hope to hammer out at least another 1,000 before bed.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
End of Day 2 count: 8,255. I'm hoping for more tonight, but I'm counting this as my official report, since you never know.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
There's always a group of people that scramble to hit 50k in a day, or the first weekend. I admire them. My best day record is only 5000ish.
You don't suspect they write it beforehand and just copy and paste? Not to accuse anyone of cheating, but seriously, 50,000 words in a weekend? I find that super hard to believe.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
No, I think some people just really write 50K words. Check out the Beyond 50K forum. I don't think these people would be satisfied with a cheating number. They want the challenge and the bragging rights.

There's an AWer who writes novels in a day. He used to do a 3-day challenge (which I have successfully done), but now he finds that too easy. He's gotten those novels published too.

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
No, I think some people just really write 50K words. Check out the Beyond 50K forum. I don't think these people would be satisfied with a cheating number. They want the challenge and the bragging rights.

There's an AWer who writes novels in a day. He used to do a 3-day challenge (which I have successfully done), but now he finds that too easy. He's gotten those novels published too.
Wow. Well, I'm glad to hear I'm wrong. I'm usually a pretty fast writer, but I can't do 50,000 words in a weekend without a rough draft, unless I'm willing for it to be totally crap. And maybe not even then.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
While getting ready to continue on a story, I realized I had neglected to copy 34 words that I'd typed yesterday into the master file for submission to NaNo, so I'm revising my November 1 total to 1934 (by my count), 1935 (NaNo).

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I was able to write a 42K MG novel in 3 days (I could have gotten to 45K, realistically, but the story was done), and that included driving time to the cabin we stayed in for our writing vacation. It required a novel that I didn't intend to publish, so I could get out of my head (although the first draft was not worse or better than others of mine, in general), and a plot that was easy to navigate: a quest with plot coupons my characters could collect.

Some may be pantsers who can start with nothing and run through a rough draft with no plans, and some may have gotten as detailed as the snowflake method, which does get you so far into the outline process that you're basically filling in details by the time you write your first draft. Since NaNo allows for outlining, I have no gripes about that as long as all words are written in November.

Also, some may be strings of words that are incoherent to everyone but the author. Not saying they all are, but some probably are ;)

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
You don't suspect they write it beforehand and just copy and paste? Not to accuse anyone of cheating, but seriously, 50,000 words in a weekend? I find that super hard to believe.

It's believable if you look at the math. 24 hours, midnight to midnight. Being generous and assuming six hours of sleep, plus three hours for food, bathroom breaks, finger rests, stuck moments, etc, that's 15 hours to write. 50,000 words divided by 15 hours is 3,334 words per hour, or 56 words per minute. Cut a few hours of sleep or breaks, even lower. It's difficult work, sure, but completely doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.