You Can't Have NaNo Without a Word Count Thread! (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quillandink

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to procrastinate which went rather well.So far today I managed 1011, and I'm just about to settle down to give my keyboard another thrashing.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You assume these people aren't writing while eating or going to the bathroom? And if I'm doing 50K in a day, I'm expecting much less than 6 hours of sleep.

A gal at my midnight write-in wrote 900-something words during our 15-minute sprint. She caveated that it was more notes than novel, but that she counted it because it was noveling words and it was November. My guess would be that she took no time out to try to think of the right word or the best way to write what she wanted to say. I suspect that if you're doing 50K in a day, you don't worry about such things either.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
If you cheat, you're not beating anyone except yourself.

Of course, I know people who have lied about the silliest things, for no profit or acclaim, with no conceivable benefit to the lie, so there are certainly those who would lie about NaNo.

There are also those who really write that much, that fast.

I'm not one of them. The best I've ever done in one push is probably around 10K, and that was the last weekend of my first NaNo.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
It's believable if you look at the math. 24 hours, midnight to midnight. Being generous and assuming six hours of sleep, plus three hours for food, bathroom breaks, finger rests, stuck moments, etc, that's 15 hours to write. 50,000 words divided by 15 hours is 3,334 words per hour, or 56 words per minute. Cut a few hours of sleep or breaks, even lower. It's difficult work, sure, but completely doable.
Yeah, okay. I guess if it's just about putting something on paper, you're absolutely right. I have to remind myself that this is 1st draft stuff and that they're not doing editing. As a first time NaNo participant, I'm struggling not to stop and reread, not to edit--to forget about all that stuff I usually do while writing. I see your point--if you look at the numbers, then yeah. Doable. A little crazy, but doable. :)

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to procrastinate which went rather well.
Why do I find this so funny?:roll:

I suspect that if you're doing 50K in a day, you don't worry about such things either.

I'm shuddering at the thought of reading back through one of those. For all the extra editing time--is it even worth it? Guess it depends on the writer.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
You assume these people aren't writing while eating or going to the bathroom? And if I'm doing 50K in a day, I'm expecting much less than 6 hours of sleep.

A gal at my midnight write-in wrote 900-something words during our 15-minute sprint. She caveated that it was more notes than novel, but that she counted it because it was noveling words and it was November. My guess would be that she took no time out to try to think of the right word or the best way to write what she wanted to say. I suspect that if you're doing 50K in a day, you don't worry about such things either.

I assume nothing, I was just being generous and making projections based on sanity. Which, of course, does not apply to writers. XD

kmayes

Registered
Reaction score
I did 3481 yesterday, which I am rather proud of. Im adopting a mindset of "get everything down" and "don't delete" which is pretty much opposite how I normally approach writing, and altogether healthy for me. I'm just starting out today, I'll be really happy if I can keep that pace!

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
Want a fun way to track your progress? How about a Pokemon!
There's a site called Nanowrimon where you pick a Pokemon and attach it to your account and as your word count grows your Pokemon will level up and even evolve! I've seen a lot of wordcount tracking graphics but this is definitely my favorite.

http://thousandroads.net/fanfic/nanowrimon/

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I assume nothing, I was just being generous and making projections based on sanity. Which, of course, does not apply to writers. XD

50K in a day is not sane. Nuh-uh. I type REALLY fast and my 'oh cool!' days when I first started writing were between 15-20K a day on weekends. Of course, those first two novels have to be completely rewritten and torn apart and the writing makes me shudder, but...

To me, that defeats the purpose of why I'm finally doing NaNo, which was to give myself a kick in the pants and kickstart my latest project. Which is working so far.

Now, back to staring at my screen for the eve so I can report more words :)

Wishes for swift fingers and feverishly good thoughts to all!

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
3457! I'm keeping as close to the 1667 a day as possible for now, since I don't want to get past all the stuff I've figured out already. Just finished Chapter 1 though, so it was a good breaking point anyway. Definitely went smoother tonight with the first scene out of the way, and I feel like Chapter 2 will go even smoother.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
You all are doing fantastic. :D

Daily: 4190
Total: 7839

Those numbers sound good, but I've been grumbling to myself about how I feel I'm writing too much too soon in the novel. For example, I'm seriously just considering lopping off three or four lengthy paragraphs at the end of one chapter.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Today, I incorporated a scene I wrote on Halloween. I didn't count the words for it, though I was tempted, but I edited through it and continued.

2 day total: 5301

I'm hoping to buddy up with a lot of you soon, I'm just so frantic trying to keep a pace, LOL! I haven't explored anything on nano except my statistics so far, which are so cool!

Congrats all!

:hooray:

Jiloa

On Purpose
Registered
Reaction score
Day 2: 2,333
Total: 4,661

Nice work, everyone!

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
3338 today, total of 6720.

(And I totally managed to skip the first appearance of a key character, whoops. Not going back, so he only exists in brackets for now.)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
If having messy first drafts is a bad thing, I'm screwed lol. That's the state of my writing regardless of NaNo.

2nd: 2272 words.
3rd: only 754 words, but I made a bunch of notes and actually know the major plot points that are happening and in what order. This is very unusual for me. Normally I'm halfway through the book before that slots into place.

Total: 9246

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
Today: 723
Total: 2169

Decided to make this my very first NaNo at the last minute, so I'm still getting situated. Will hopefully have the big-picture and scene-by-scene outlines finished this weekend. Trying not to fret about voice/word choice so I can focus on goal, motivation, and my ultimate nemesis, conflict.

Engliman

In transatlantic accent hell.
Registered
Reaction score
I would have been able to add another 2k words from day 2 were it not for an unforeseen issue with a memory stick. So, unfortunately, day 2 ended with just an extra 400 words and a severe blow to morale and motivation :(

Status
Not open for further replies.