Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The new show is eating up all my time and energy, so no writing again this week, as anticipated. I did look longingly at the m/s of Book #4 the other day, but that was the extent of my involvement with it. My betas have all been slow this month as well; I got a few preliminary notes from one of them, but I don't think the other two have even started reading yet. No rush, as I don't really have the time to do more than glance over the notes and say "thank you" right now.

I baked some Toll House cookies last weekend. My husband ate three and I ate two, and we froze the rest. I applaud our self-control.

Start first editing pass on Book #4 in my fantasy series - no progress
Go over beta notes on Book #3 (as they come in) - .5 of 3
Read three books - 1 of 3
Finish David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas - no progress yet
Get some advance baking done for the holidays - 1 batch of cookies so far

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
Well sadly it looks like I've hit my brick wall. I've been sick for a week and it's not showing any signs of letting up soon. Next week I'll be spending time with family for Thanksgiving. It just doesn't look like I'm ever going to have time to catch up, especially with my current wordcount stuck at around 14,000. I don't want to stress myself out over the holidays thinking about trying to catch up so I may just stick a fork in this for now.

That said, I do really like the novel that's shaping up and I definitely plan on continuing and finishing it once I feel better.

It was a fun run. I'll definitely be back again next year to try again.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I've never done NaNo because I have commitment issues but I LOVE watching vlogs and reading forums about people's progress. It's like for one month the writing community doubles in size and visibility, and I can commiserate about #thestruggle without actually having to actually put myself out there. Currently, my goal is just to put in time to write, rather than watching and reading said vlogs and forums. Specifically:

Write 2 hours/Day
Hit 50K in WIP
Start Novella 2
Edit Half of Novella 1
Read 3 books

My phone broke, so the reading thing is a struggle (I mostly read ebooks). Editing the Novella is taking soooo long I don't even know if I can write the characters anymore. I wrote for 5 hours on Sunday and felt good about myself until I didn't write on Monday, so now I'm just stressed and hoping I actually make progress today before work. At this rate, I'll hit 20K in my WIP this week, but I don't know, I feel like I'm usually faster than that.

Good luck to everyone else on their goals

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Well my first attempt at NaNo this year has totally cratered due to the election. But my new goal is to reach 50k words by January 20th.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's been a rough month thus far.

We're into tech for my show now, which normally translates to a fair amount of down time backstage which can be utilized for writing. However, for this production I'm onstage almost nonstop, so that opportunity isn't there.

I did get a little start on rewriting the first chapter of Book #4, and I keep pecking away at my current reading choice, getting a page or two read every night in bed before I go to sleep. I also got the second round of edits on Book #1 this week - my editor would like them back from me by the 26th. I did one pass to approve/stet the changes she'd suggested, but I want to do one more pass before I sign off on it, just to make sure I don't miss anything. So that's eating into my available writing time as well.

Heard briefly from one of my betas - he's a few chapters into Book 3 and liking it thus far, but all my betas are reading slower than usual. I've had a poet friend offer to beta #3 as well, but that would entail him having to read #1 and #2 first, and while he's game, I'm just not sure I need him right now. I asked if I could hold him in abeyance in case one of my main betas flakes on me.

No baking this week. I have the day off Monday, so if I'm not too bushed after getting all my pre-Thanksgiving errands run (and if I manage to keep fighting off the crud that's going around the theatre), I may get another batch of cookies made.

Start first editing pass on Book #4 in my fantasy series - started rewrite of Chapter 1
Get some advance baking done for the holidays -
1 batch of cookies so far

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This week was kind of a bust, what with my show going into previews and the Thanksgiving holiday. However, now that we're open and settling into a regular schedule, I hope to get going again. Between shows today I was able to get further along in the rewrite of Book 4's first chapter - it felt good to be writing again.

I'm reading, but not focused on a single book, which is not helping make my goal. I have four books going at once and have been making only minimal progress on each, but hoping now that my schedule is settled down I can concentrate on finishing at least one. Maybe I'll get some baking done this week, too!

Start first editing pass on Book #4 in my fantasy series - continuing rewrite of Chapter 1
Get some advance baking done for the holidays -
1 batch of cookies so far

Last edited:

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm about to finish my third and final script of the month, and I still have 5k words to go. I had an idea, though. When the editing and revising of one of my scripts is done, after November, I'm going to write a book. So to get me in the right head space, and reach that 50k, I'm going to do a short story or two that relate to the scripts I wrote this month. The first is going to be the story of how the MC from this script was abandoned as a baby. It should be an interesting exercise.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Scripty, I did something similar for my first NaNo: wrote simultaneous backstories for both my protag and my antag, more for my own information than anything. It ended up being a pretty fair little book.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Scripty, I did something similar for my first NaNo: wrote simultaneous backstories for both my protag and my antag, more for my own information than anything. It ended up being a pretty fair little book.

Nice :) It's cool to explore characters beyond what's in the main text

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Update:

a) Nano: 31,955 // 50,000
b) Revisions: 46,512 // 101,000

Gah, going to be difficult to finish either goal. I need to write about 6k more words tonight to stand a chance of finishing Nano on time.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two days left in the month, everybody. You can do it (whatever your it may be)!

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
a) Nano: 50,055 // 50,000 - complete!
b) Final revisions: 46,613 // 104,000 - halfway!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't make any appreciable progress since my last report on the 26th, so this month, as anticipated, was pretty much a bust for me.

Off to start the December thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.