mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
writergif.gif

It's NaNoWriMo time!

Even if you're not participating in NaNo this year, you can still state your goals, track your progress and encourage your fellow writers in this thread. I'll get the ball rolling with my goals, which are pretty modest given that I have a really busy month ahead (and I'm not even NaNoing!):

Start first editing pass on Book #4 in my fantasy series
Go over beta notes on Book #3 (as they come in) - 0 of 3
Read three books - 0 of 3
Finish David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas
Get some advance baking done for the holidays

What about you?

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
Still trying to decide what reward I'm going to get for myself if I pull off the 50,000 words, but other than that I'm chomping at the bit for tomorrow.

(At this point I think my decided reward is going to be an expensive Japanese PS3 game)

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't come up with a reward for myself yet. I need to think of something.

I'm going to be writing 2 scripts for NaNo this year. My minimum goal is to finish the first script, and my stretch goal is to finish both/write a full 50,000 words.

Good luck everyone! Can't wait to start :)

OliverCrown

Puttin' daydreams to paper
Registered
Reaction score
Delta City, where nothing's normal but the music
Website
www.olivercrown.com
Still trying to decide what reward I'm going to get for myself if I pull off the 50,000 words, but other than that I'm chomping at the bit for tomorrow.

(At this point I think my decided reward is going to be an expensive Japanese PS3 game)

Thank you. I think I may have a new annual thing. I'm going to reward myself should I complete this.

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
There's a thread (somewhere) over on the official NaNoWriMo forums where people talk about what they're using to bribe themselves.

Honestly I'd be doing this with or without the (self-set) reward but this just gives me a good excuse to buy more games.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I've been dithering for about two weeks now whether to do NaNo or not. I've never formally done it before because I tend to be one of those people who's got my own writing schedule regardless and that'll continue. At the same time, I'm at a really nice point where WIP #1 is on betas and WIP #2 is basically not started so it's a good time dive in and do the 50K.

Mind you, WIP #2 has very little in the way of functioning plot at present. That can be dealt with.

The dithering is because I also have a pretty major game dev goal for November and if that takes off I doubt I'll get as much writing done as I want. I always intend to balance game dev and writing, and I always have these wonderfully complex time management schedules worked out so I don't overdo it on either. Then I never stick to them.

If I get going on either one, getting 50K is not going to be a problem for me and nor would finishing an iteration of this game. So: anyone want to vote?

Game is about a magic student, his pet rock, their expulsion from school and ensuing life choices in a world of quasi-legal mushroom smuggling. It is almost insufferably twee.

Book is basically about Death. WIP #2 is about pretending to be but not actually being dead. WIP #2, in fact, has an alternate WIP, which we'll call 2A, that is about being dead but pretending not to be.

Or I could attempt to both and just not sleep for a month.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
My A goal is to meet the 50k word count (I will only have about 17 days to really write) and get my query ready for a different completed ms that's out with my beta buddy for now. My B goal is to reach 30k and get the query for other ms ready. My C goal is to get at least 20k words.

I leanrned long ago that I do much better with A, B, and C goals, something I picked up when I used to run half marathons. A is if everything goes perfect, B is if it goes well, and C is if everything falls apart but I refuse to quit.

Engliman

In transatlantic accent hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Goal 1: Reach 50k words
Stretch goal 1: Reach 60k words
Stretch goal 2: Reach 75k words and ending

I'm so pumped.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to be an overachiever this time around for Nano and try to finish up the four books I had wanted to finish last month. I am hoping the energy from the event will give me that push to get it done.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
-Reach 50k words. Assuming I constructively use the 2-3 hours I spend on the bus Monday-Friday, I think I can hit that goal. I feel good about the overall direction of the story, although I have a suspicion this story will take me quite a while to get into anything approaching finished even if I can hit 50k this month.
-Read 3 books that are relevant to my story and might give me some inspiration for it. This one is going to be tougher, but I'm a fast reader and have started taking my Kindle with me on the bus, so here's hoping I can do this too.

pentimental

Registered
Reaction score
-Reach 50k words. Assuming I constructively use the 2-3 hours I spend on the bus Monday-Friday, I think I can hit that goal.

As a newbie I don't have any useful writing advice, but I can tell you I did used to draw & brainstorm on the subway commute every day, and filled so many sketchbooks I'm still mining them for subject matter decades later. Public transportation = free creative time.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
My goal this year is to simply win NaNo. I used to be able to churn out thousands of words, but life has been getting on the way the past few years and I can't remember when was the last time I won NaNo :(

So 50k is my first and only goal for now.

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
Got up at 5:30 to be at a meeting by 7:00 and I happened to have about 15 minutes free before I had to leave for work so I punched out my first 475 words. Just about done with the Prologue.

Also I decided to name the kingdom where my story takes place Qwijeen.

Expect lots more cooking-based names as we go along.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Goals for November:

a) write 50,000 words Nano novel
b) Continue revisions for WIP. Finish revisions by December 31st. Currently: 27,000 into 101,000

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Also I decided to name the kingdom where my story takes place Qwijeen.

Love it!

November goals:

Win, move, age.

Unfortunately, the last one is my only certainty--my birthday's the end of the month. Sigh.

kmayes

Registered
Reaction score
my goals:

write 30k words of a new novel (this is as much as i've written in the past 2 years.)
get into the groove of writing every day, and writing more 'stream of consciousness' than I'm used to (e.g. stop editing on the fly)

IdrisG

the wicked wit of the west
Registered
Reaction score
Goals for the month

1) Finish 50,000 words of Fear Her (10.5k down, 39.5k to go)
2) Finish Fear Her first draft which I suspect will be quite a bit longer
3) Complete TNT Horror Contest entry
4) Finish first draft of essay for Nine Dots Prize

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
This is my first NaMo, and I've already met my first goal, which was to get myself started and going forward. At 1,814 words for two days so far, I may be behind where I should be, and I may never reach that 50, 000 mark (though I will try), but I will have something to show for it at the end of this month. Starting is always the hardest part for me, and I am resisting the urge to go back and rewrite the first chapter twenty or thirty times like I usually do. Whether it is this month or next month, I will finish the first draft of this book. And then the real fun begins!

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whew - week #1 was exhausting, and I did zero writing because I started rehearsal for my current production. It's a new musical with the requisite number of bugs to be worked out, which means even if I did have the energy to write at the end of the work day, the creative brain cells were fried.

I did finish reading a book, though. And since today is my day off, I may actually bake some cookies.

Start first editing pass on Book #4 in my fantasy series
Go over beta notes on Book #3 (as they come in) - 0 of 3
Read three books - 1 of 3
Finish David McCullough's The Path Between the Seas
Get some advance baking done for the holidays

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
This is a rough month for me. I've been dealing with panic attacks, I've got a grant due on the 12th, and I need to put together slides for the very first guest lecture I've ever done!

But I fully intend to make enormous progress on my latest WIP, which I am having tons of fun with. I haven't enjoyed writing a book this much in a while, and its doing a lot to keep me sane. Its at 48k words and I want it to get to a minimum of 80k or finished, whichever comes first, by the time the month is over.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on pushing ahead in spite of the obstacles, A.P.M.!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
The words are still struggling to come. So I read, hoping it would get my brain in the right mindset. It's helping a little, but my brain is so rusty that I think I need to do some more reading. My sentences are all very bland and weak. The sentence structures aren't flowing smoothly and reading it helping me remember how to compose stronger sentences.

eskay

Registered
Reaction score
All of my reading keeps giving me ideas for something that is decidedly not what I am supposed to be NaNo'ing :e2smack:

Status
Not open for further replies.