Chicago Christian haunted house depicting Pulse massacre canceled

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Link

A Chicago elementary school has cancelled a haunted house after learning the Christian organizers planned to depict the massacre at Orlando’s Pulse nightclub.
“The Room: A Journey to Hell,” initially scheduled to take place over the Halloween weekend, was described on a tickets sales page as featuring “life or death” moral choices.

The Windy City Times reports that a casting call for the event posted to Facebook last month described it as a “Christian interactive experience” and specifically sought extras for its Pulse scene:
“Club Pulse, Dancers, Victims … CAGED PEOPLE/SCREAMERS, Extras needed trying to escape a cage! … SOUNDS INTERESTING? COME OUT THIS SATURDAY!!!”

Unbelievable. The nerve of some people...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet Jesus. The very notion that someone at some point thought this was a swell idea is literally incredible, yet it happened.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
The horrible thing is that this isn't abnormal for a Hell House. There are people so vicious and arrogant that they regard mass murders as divine retribution.

That's the really frightening thing about situations like this. Someone ought to make a house of horrors showing the callousness and indifference to suffering of people sitting around smugly exploiting the suffering of others.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Aside from the cruelty and bigotry of the decision to depict the Pulse massacre, what is a public school (I clicked through) co-hosting an event with a Christian organization? They bill the haunted house as a ""Christian interactive experience."

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the Windy City Times:

(Chicago Public Schools) spokesman Michael Passman told Windy City Times in an Oct. 28 email that the event will not take place at Fernwood.

"The event organizers mischaracterized the true content of the event, and we did not approve any association with the activities the organizers have now advertised," said Passman. "The event will not be held on CPS property.

Yeah, it's been an officially announced event for how long and CPS is just now figuring out "the event organizers mischaracterized the true content"? Either somebody didn't do their due diligence or decided it didn't matter.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the Windy City Times:

Yeah, it's been an officially announced event for how long and CPS is just now figuring out "the event organizers mischaracterized the true content"? Either somebody didn't do their due diligence or decided it didn't matter.

More likely, they were indifferent until social media created huge and well deserved outrage and backlash.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
The sooner anyone who thinks this was a good idea gets raptured off the planet, the better off the rest of us will be.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I assume the school was motivated by the offer of money from the rental of the property for the weekend.
You'd think they'd be curious about a 'Christian' group wanting to do an 'interactive experience' at Hallowe'en. Usually that kind of Christian group is active this time of year trying to ban Hallowe'en (Satan's evil influence, etc).
Their wanting to put on a show of any sort should have raised questions.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I assume the school was motivated by the offer of money from the rental of the property for the weekend.
You'd think they'd be curious about a 'Christian' group wanting to do an 'interactive experience' at Hallowe'en. Usually that kind of Christian group is active this time of year trying to ban Hallowe'en (Satan's evil influence, etc).

In my opinion, it's more they want to ban anything Pagan related. They are fine with anything that supports their view of the world, and what better than to show the horrors that they believe rightfully await homosexuals.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Aside from the cruelty and bigotry of the decision to depict the Pulse massacre, what is a public school (I clicked through) co-hosting an event with a Christian organization? They bill the haunted house as a ""Christian interactive experience."

Yeah, this was my thought.

I would expect a public school to exercise greater care when collaborating with a religious organization to ensure that any events are reasonably inclusive.

But also, as others have mentioned, these types of "Hell Houses" are known to have scenes like these.

I have a pretty liberal view of what sort of topics children can potentially handle, but if I took my child to a haunted house sponsored by a public elementary school, I would be expecting pretty tame, innocent scares like rattling doors or spooky noises. I wouldn't be expecting to have a conversation with my child about different moral beliefs regarding abortion or something.

Also, a lot of those attractions actively proselytize at the end and try to pressure visitors to accept Jesus as their personal savior.

There are so many pitfalls here, the school would have been better off sponsoring an Indiana Jones-themed booby-trapped temple.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com

Oh, no, not at all.

"Hell Houses" are a really common evangelical Christian gimmick around Halloween.

There are whole ministries devoted to producing them, terrifying innocents with visions of sin and then offering them their religion as a cure.

“It’s the greatest evangelistic tool that we have as a church. We reach a lot of unchurched people,” said Sharon Reagan, Central Baptist’s music director. In 2014, she said, there were 1,997 attendees and 487 “decisions for Christ”. The cast of 50, drawn from the church’s congregation of about 550, had rehearsed since August and performed about 18 shows on busy nights, when groups came through every couple of minutes.

Reagan’s thoughts were already turning to next year. “You’re always thinking, how can I ramp up heaven? How can I ramp up hell? What can I do to make it better? Those ideas are already formulating,” she said.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Also, a lot of those attractions actively proselytize at the end and try to pressure visitors to accept Jesus as their personal savior.

I'd love to ask some of these organizers how they feel about scaring children into making a statement of faith that will probably be retracted once their fright is over.

I'm pretty sure God doesn't just look at your "numbers" when you're judged, if you believe in that. It's not a case of you got ten converts so you're better than the guy who got none, or the woman who got twenty.

And isn't there something in there about bearing false witness? Scaring the hell out of kids to force them to adopt your religious views has got to be a sin in itself.

Yeah... some days I'm sort of happy to be Catholic - even with that set of issues.

;)

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Oh, no, not at all.

"Hell Houses" are a really common evangelical Christian gimmick around Halloween.

There are whole ministries devoted to producing them, terrifying innocents with visions of sin and then offering them their religion as a cure.
“It’s the greatest evangelistic tool that we have as a church. We reach a lot of unchurched people,” said Sharon Reagan, Central Baptist’s music director.

"unchurched people" -- Not "non-Christians", not "undecided", or "uncommitted." "Unchurched." Miss Sharon's faith seems to have gone on a bit of a wander off the garden paths.

Last edited:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
And isn't there something in there about bearing false witness? Scaring the hell out of kids to force them to adopt your religious views has got to be a sin in itself.

I think the people who create things like this believe so sincerely that non-believers are damned that they don't necessarily care how someone comes to be saved.

What I find interesting is the double-standard when it comes to violence and "controversial" issues. Who wants to bet that some of the people organizing this haunted house would be appalled if their children were exposed to a picture book about a child with gay parents, or were told about LGBT people in health class? How many ban violent R-rated movies at home? But showing gay people and violence is fine if it's to preach about sin.

On some level, I get it--context can matter to people. But one of the go-to arguments against acknowledging LGBT people in the classroom is that this is a "mature" topic and parents should be able to choose when and how to teach their kids about it. But exposing other people's unwitting children to scenes of homophobic violence to teach them that being gay is a sin? Totally fine.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Plus it's perfectly fine to show scenes of people OD'ing or women dying from a botched abortion, two more popular subjects.

Sort of like the Hays Code in the 1930's. Goodness has to prevail in the end.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I used to host a Sunday School Halloween party. The most violent part was when someone broke the drywall during Pumpkin Bowling. Those pie pumpkins are harder than they look.

The thought that anyone would believe the Pulse tragedy appropriate for children (or adults!) is beyond my ken.