Best blogging/website platform for self publishers?

james86

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm just wondering what platform everyone uses for their author websites/blogs? I've seen a lot of amazing and professional ones around and have been looking into platforms and trying to decide what route to go down.

I've used Blogger before and I love it but it's a little restrictive with it's themes?

Wordpress I just can't get my head around. I don't find it user friendly and the free theme templates are really naff/amateurish. Seems you have to pay for decent themes and I'm not sure I want to make that kind of investment.

Tumblr is great but feels more like a social media site with no room for user comments etc. It's more just a place for people to post pics/gifs?

Last edited:

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Wordpress...hand down. Most professional and SEO friendly one out there.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Blogger and Wordpress are roughly on par, it depends which interface you like more. If you don't like the built in themes in Blogger you can insert or create whatever you want using the html view.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
I would respectfully disagree that Blogger is on par with WP...

Blogger is very restrictive, whereas if you want with WP, you can get it set up with a full install that allows MANY more themes, plugins, extensions, and functionality. You can also hack your themes, plugins and extensions in WP with much greater ease than in Blogger.

Finally, the ONLY reason Blogger gets good SEO is because it's owned by Google. Wordpress gets good SEO because of how the CMS is built.

$20 fora domain
$5 on Fiverr

And you can have a unique and customized site set up very quickly and easily with minimal involvement from you. Then you can blog, post, and publish new books for sale all in your own CMS indefinitely.

Maythe

Registered
Reaction score
When you say WordPress do you mean the free version (which I'm currently using - though I do pay for my domain) or the self hosted version? I've been wondering about switching. Having said that I like WP. I find it easy to use and I like my theme even though it's a free one as it's simple and clean. I could probably get more from if I learned a little html.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Exactly, I think when comparing apples to apples, the free site--you can achieve equivalent results with either, albeit through different portal mechanisms with different levels of difficulty. Some of the visuals are harder on blogger and require used of html, advertising is way harder on free wordpress.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes - the free hosted version of WP is very akin to Blogger, both are substantially locked down to be prohibitive imho. I mis-read "self-publishers" as "self-hosted".

My bad...

That said, it really doesn't cost that much to get your own instance of WP set up on something like Dreamhost, Hostgator, or even GoDaddy directly that would supremely kick booty over the locked down ones on wordpress.org or wordpress.com - not a fan of either of those solutions. No shell access whatsoever (which is kind of tech talk, but you hopefully get the gist ;) )

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
One disadvantage to using Blogger or WP.com: they can pull your site at any time, with no warning. You can lose everything, and they don't have to tell you why. Look up the case of Dennis Cooper.

I've been running my own WP site at indefixa.ravesnbeak.com for many years. I finally had the funds available to actually hire a WP-knowledgeable person. She's building me a new site using the theme that's part of the Genesis framework. It's got solid underlying code, will update easily, and looks nice and clean.

I'd made lots of mistake trying to maintain my own site over the years. At one point, I was running 26 different plugins, from good ones (like Jetpack and Akismet and Bad Behavior) to generic plugins that do stuff that I couldn't figure out how to code. My designer is going to be able to incorporate a lot of those functions in the theme easily.

Barb is charging me $45/hour and says she rarely goes over 10 hours. She's also got several books out to help authors with blogging. Bakerview Consulting

I think getting a good host and a good, solid theme is critical, especially if you're not a technical person. Get someone else who knows what they're doing to run that side of it for you.

FWIW, Barb recommends SiteGround.com and InMotionHosting.com. I have no experience with either one.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. Genesis is an excellent core theme, as is Thesis, but that comes from the opposite end in that you have to build all the hooks for Thesis yourself (or your designer does), but that makes it very flexible and scalable in the rights hands.

April Days

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think one should say which is better for another person. I dislike the free version of Wordpress as well. I don't find it user friendly. Blogger also allows you to use a custom domain, fyi.

james86

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies - for Wordpress users, is it worth the investment to buy a theme?

I don't know why but I'm really struggling with the free version. Like others have said, it's just not user friendly. I found a great free theme too called "Press Customizr". Can I find it searching themes on Wordpress, or a way to upload the template? Nope! :Shrug:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies - for Wordpress users, is it worth the investment to buy a theme?

I don't know why but I'm really struggling with the free version. Like others have said, it's just not user friendly. I found a great free theme too called "Press Customizr". Can I find it searching themes on Wordpress, or a way to upload the template? Nope! :Shrug:

Using the free version of WordPress.com does not allow you to use themes outside of their selection.

I would be very cautious about using free themes that are not vetted by WordPress; they often have malware, backdoors, or adware in them.

I'd also be careful about spending money before making money; consider buying your domain and using the free versions of Wordpress or Blogger to start.

ebbrown

Easily Amused
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ebbrown.net
I changed over to Weebly a few months ago & have found it pretty easy to use. I don't have a lot of time to invest in it, so something straightforward & simple was a necessity. The paid plans are reasonable as well. Good luck whatever you decide to go with. :)

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
I also use Blogger because I couldn't get used to WP, though I admire anyone who uses it effectively. I guess I could never figure out how. And I also use Weebly for my website because the drag and drop is so much easier than brushing up on html coding.

However, I wouldn't say their plans are "reasonable". It's much cheaper to go paid WP with your own domain than a Weebly, which only for a starter is $96. Starter plans don't give you much.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think one should say which is better for another person. I dislike the free version of Wordpress as well. I don't find it user friendly. Blogger also allows you to use a custom domain, fyi.

The free versions of WP on wordpress.com will let you use a custom domain as well, but you are still locked down pretty much to the same degree that blogger does in terms of control.

So, when you build a site through wordpress.com (regardless of whether it's a free version or you add additional features and services) still does not give you full control over an isntallation of Wordpress. The best way to go about this (imho) is to do the following:

1. Buy a domain name ($20/year - cheaper if you buy multiple years worth in the long run)
2. Find a hosting provider that gives you SSH access (so you can open a command shell and actually get in and look at/edit/modify the Wordpress installation)
3. Either go through the hosting providers one-click install, or manually install Wordpress yourself.
3a. If you are proficient enough with *nix level commands on untar-ing the system, and editing the WP files, you can take any theme and customize it toward your own ends, or even just build your own from scratch - it's really not that hard if you are comfortable with that sort of thing.
3b. If you are not proficient at this level, now is when you would hire a designer to build out the rest of your website for you. Good designers will even include some tutorial time with you once things are up and running, so once the design is finished and minimal site maintenance is needed, you can add blog posts, articles, etc. through the WYSIWYG editor easily enough. Most designers will include in an annual maintenance fee around $50-$100 depending on who you get to do things like plugin updates, theme maintenance, and security updates.

Using the free version of WordPress.com does not allow you to use themes outside of their selection.

I would be very cautious about using free themes that are not vetted by WordPress; they often have malware, backdoors, or adware in them.

I'd also be careful about spending money before making money; consider buying your domain and using the free versions of Wordpress or Blogger to start.

It depends on where you get your themes from, but for the most part this is true. Sites like ThemeForest, WooThemes and a few others are pretty well vetted. Usually the rule of thumb is that if a theme developer has their own site for a free and paid for version (like Thesis for instance) you're pretty safe too. But if you find a free theme outside of wordpress.org and there's no support or history of support/maintenance, then buyer beware. It's just like anything else and you need to do your own due diligence.

I changed over to Weebly a few months ago & have found it pretty easy to use. I don't have a lot of time to invest in it, so something straightforward & simple was a necessity. The paid plans are reasonable as well. Good luck whatever you decide to go with. :)

Sites like weebly, etsy, and others are fine as well. The only downside I have there (for the free functionality anyway, is the same thing with Blogger and Wordpress.com - you've got the rest of that ugly URL in there:

Code:
yoursitename.weebly.com or yoursitename.blogspot.com or yoursitename.wordpress.com

Unprofessional and kinda lame but that's just me and my humble opinion after some 15 odd years of involvement in web services, so take it with a grain of salt - I'm jaded! LOL
That's my 2¢

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
I use wordpress.com with a custom domain name (see my signature), and I'm happy enough with it, though it doesn't offer as much flexibility as one might want. I hardly know any html and I manage okay. When I start making more than peanuts from my writing, I might investigate other options.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
I use wordpress.com with a custom domain name (see my signature), and I'm happy enough with it, though it doesn't offer as much flexibility as one might want. I hardly know any html and I manage okay. When I start making more than peanuts from my writing, I might investigate other options.

That's actually a pretty nice theme and layout - is that footer for wordpress.com required? I never seem to be able to get rid of these references in the footer.php files! LOL :)

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
That's actually a pretty nice theme and layout - is that footer for wordpress.com required? I never seem to be able to get rid of these references in the footer.php files! LOL :)

Thanks! I don't see any obvious way to remove the footer, but I haven't really looked into it...

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
... consider buying your domain and using the free versions of Wordpress or Blogger to start.

Agree. The general wisdom is to START SMALL, and STAY SMALL as you can, for which WP and Blogger work fine. DON'T ADD FEATURES to your site unless they are easy for you to do so. And only if they add something worth the effort. Don't select a particular free site if you have trouble "getting your head around" its particular approach.

The idea is to get a decent site working with as little time and effort as possible, using that time and effort on your writing, not on the site publicizing your writing. I've seen people become so enamored with creating and tinkering with websites that they neglect their reason for creating the site.

If you someday want features on your site that WordPress.com doesn't have or allow, you can then port your site to a WordPress.org self-hosted site. But that does take some time and technical talent and expertise, so you may want to hire someone to do that for you. Once the port is done you can then take over managing your site, doing things like adding content such as new books being published, character biographies and genealogies, histories of your imaginary worlds, and so on.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
The only thing I like about Blogger is that I can access it's HTML/CSS code off the bat and make more adjustments to my designs. But I don't use it anymore, because I heard wordpress is more professional.

I don't use my own domain, due to being unemployed and waiting for disability someday.

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use Blogger. It allows you to use your own domain name, without any extra charge. That's pretty nice. The free Wordpress doesn't allow custom domain; you have to upgrade to the paid version for that.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with Blogger. It's easy to use, though there are some frustrating quirks, depending on what template you choose. For example, with the template I'm using, I can't figure out how to add certain gadgets or change the default font size for the blog posts and the title. Eh, not a big deal. I don't do anything fancy, so Blogger is good enough for me since it's free. It is a bit dated looking, however. And in the few years I've been using it, the features have remained largely the same. Google, which owns Blogger, pretty much just ignores it, so there's no real innovation.

I've used Wordpress a bit, not enough to be knowledgeable about it. But it seems more sophisticated.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I started with Blogger and used my own domain with it. At first, I liked that it didn't have any hassle to set up. I could pick a theme and start blogging. But as time went on, it felt like it never really updated, and there was more I wanted to do. So I switched to self-hosted Wordpress. As I'd used my own domain before, the new blog was still at the same address, so it was a fairly easy transition. There are also plugins that'll import Blogger archives into Wordpress (needed some going through afterwards, but it mainly did the job).

Tumblr, Twitter, and other social media, aren't a replacement for a blog. You'd have a blog and other social media, rather than one or the other. Twitter is the best I've found for promoting my blog posts.

The biggest challenge most people will face is writing regularly and getting an audience for that writing. So don't get so caught up in the technical stuff that you don't get down to writing posts.

Hockshop

Registered
Reaction score
I've a very simple site - Essentially 3 pages: Home page, About the Author and Read Chapter 1. I used WordPress with a 1-click install from my hosting ISP, picked a very plain theme, and was up and running in only a couple of hours. I don't know Blogger, but really found WordPress to be easy to use and flexible enough for my current needs, which are to get a decent site live now. And I'm not, at least currently, using it as a blog, just a website.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I've a very simple site ... I'm not... currently using it as a blog, just a website.

Keep in mind that WordPress lets you set up most of its themes (preset designs you use as the skeleton of your site) as both a blog site AND a web site. That is, with a part that changes frequently AND parts which rarely change, such as a bio, a bibliography of your published writings, and so on.

On my site the menu at the top of the home page reads NEWS - SHAPECHANGER TALES - CONFEDERATION TALES - and so, ending at the far right with ABOUT which contains a short bio.

NEWS is the title of the blog part. In it I put mostly SHORT news articles about subjects I think my readers would like to know about. This is usually info on a book, TV show, or movie that is or soon will be available. I try always to end the blog/news entry with an image. This makes the site more colorful and interesting - I hope! For books the cover on Amazon is the image. For TV shows and movies a YouTube video previewing the work.

Of course you can put whatever you want in the blog part of your site. Some very popular sites have a link to another, personal, blog where they post all sorts of often random stuff. Other sites combine the personal and the professional posts. Both approaches work. Do what feels right for you.

But remember the main reason you want a site. This is to establish you and your writing as a "brand" which helps your readers understand what they can expect from you as a writer.

Hockshop

Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind that WordPress lets you set up most of its themes (preset designs you use as the skeleton of your site) as both a blog site AND a web site. That is, with a part that changes frequently AND parts which rarely change, such as a bio, a bibliography of your published writings, and so on.

That was, actually, a big part of the appeal of using WP rather than, for example, building a web site without the blogging capabilities. In fact, on my site, the menu item called "Read Chapter One" points to a blog post. For the moment, I'm happy to leave it the way it is and focus on my current WIP, but in the future ...watch out fellow bloggers. :)