Nano soundtracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engliman

In transatlantic accent hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Music is hugely important to me when it comes to writing and inspiration. It's pretty much fuel that I need to be able to world build and scene build. In any writing I've done in the past, I've had music blaring loudly from my headphones, much to the annoyance of my poor wife. I've got my standard writing playlist, but it has been tweaked for Nano. I was wondering if anyone else did the same? Soundtracks are my bread and butter, here is what my playlist looks like:

You can't have my heart (Snow White & the Huntsman) - James Newton Howard
The Wings (Brokeback Mountain) - Gustavo Santaolalla
Song for Bob (The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford) - Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
Downfall (Der Untergang) - not actually sure of the composer
Time (Inception) - Hans Zimmer
Discovery (The Lazarus Project) - Brian Tyler
The Grid (Tron - Legacy) - Daft Punk (Extended edition)
Almost Martyrs (The Life of David Gale)
The Life of David Gale (The Life of David Gale) - Jake Parker & Alex Parker
Titles (Shackleton) - Adrian Johnston

I'm always on the lookout for other atmospheric scores to add.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Youtube has lots of fantasy focus music. Here's one I plan to use with my WIP if I ever get the urge to pull a ten hour-er (NOT). :ROFL:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I always have a soundtrack for my WIPs, but except for one song that's Spanish guitar, this one's all songs with lyrics. I probably need to find some instrumental-only.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I create a soundtrack for each novel that follows the characters and plot through the book, but at this stage, the soundtrack is in the auditioning phase. However, there will almost certainly be at least 3 songs from White Christmas: "We'll Follow the Old Man," "What Do You Do with a General?" and "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing." (Probably "Snow" too) I also have a lot of songs about stars on the temporary playlist

When writing, I tend to listen to my massive Doctor Who soundtrack or my Harry Potter soundtracks

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
I am very seriously considering making playlists for my NaNo novel, or at least venturing outside my regular taste in music. The novel has a very heavy classical music bent to it, as the two main characters are a violinist and a pianist respectively, so I'm having to beef up on my knowledge of classical music. I've honestly never listened much to classical, but I was listening to some tracks like a piano/violin cover of Air on a G String earlier, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

At the very least, it will get me away from listening to the same ten or so post-hardcore/metalcore albums I've had on repeat for about a month because I'm too lazy to find new music to listen to. :tongue

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I am very seriously considering making playlists for my NaNo novel, or at least venturing outside my regular taste in music. The novel has a very heavy classical music bent to it, as the two main characters are a violinist and a pianist respectively, so I'm having to beef up on my knowledge of classical music. I've honestly never listened much to classical, but I was listening to some tracks like a piano/violin cover of Air on a G String earlier, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

At the very least, it will get me away from listening to the same ten or so post-hardcore/metalcore albums I've had on repeat for about a month because I'm too lazy to find new music to listen to. :tongue

Well, I'll always recommend (not that you asked for recommendations, but...:tongue) Mozart's Piano Concerto In E Flat, K482. A short piece of it, the Finale, is on the Amadeus Soundtrack. Motzart is pretty easy classical listening, IMO. Easier than Rachmaninoff. :) And if the immersion into full classical is too much, I'm a huge fan of this Trent Resnick stripped down version of Something I Can Never Have. (If you like Nine Inch Nails, that is.) It's just him on piano and Jerome Dillon on an acoustic guitar. Not exactly classical, but probably about as close as NIN gets.

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I am not an instrumental person. I find lyrics help me find (and stay in) character without distracting me while I write. Although on the umpteenth play through, it all just runs together in the background.

Anyway, since I'm revamping an old project, the playlist is already built. (Link will open Spotify, btw.) I've been dying for more bands like Starset to come along to beef up the list. But alas, cinematic sci-fi prog-metalcore is hard to come by.

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
Let me introduce you to Umineko no Naku Koro ni, a series of visual novels with pretty much the greatest soundtracks of anything ever. Almost all of the music is instrumental and it's all... incredible. It's done by a range of composers, and it covers such an amazing range of emotions and situations. I'll just give you a taste of the different kinds of stuff it has, and let you all loose to peruse the rest on Youtube (searching for 'Umineko OST' should get you several lists that have all the songs).

Ride On - Sort of a theme-song. Inspirational and adventurous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul2C_5MAg1E
Worldend Dominator - Tense and dangerous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAKkw71ff3U
In the Sun - Peaceful and calming piano. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIhkXQtSuD4
Nuigurumi - Playful and innocent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8uddlTg7AE
Happiness of Marionette - Triumphant and elegant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sIcCKuA8ns
Alive - Determined and inspirational. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ylNrVEvzY
Golden Slaughterer - Anxiety and panic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raxEmANPTVc

I could keep going, there's about 200 of these songs. If you're into instrumental stuff that helps you focus on certain emotions I guarantee this series has just the song to help you out. Make sure to give them a try!

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
One of the things that helped me get my novel written earlier this year was dedicated playlist on Spotify, so one of the first things I did was build one for my NaNo.

Cat's in the Cradle by Johnny Cash
Apple Blossom by The White Stripes
Bobby Reid by Lucette
Far From Any Road by The Handsome Family
Stuck in the South by Adia Victoria
Bad Things by Rayland Baxter
Slow Black River by Iron & Wine
An Honest Man by Fantastic Negritto
Long Black Train by Josh Turner
Cold Mountains by Crooked Still
Graveyard by The Devil Makes Three
Take Me Home by Darius Rucker
Ain't No Sunshine by Aaron Neville
Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show
Alone by Trampled by Turtles
Leaving Eden by Carolina Chocolate Drops

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
I don't often listen to anything with lyrics when I write because I keep wanting to sing along. When I do it's usually Classic Rock, or more often Trans-Siberian Orchestra (Beethovan's Last Night or Night Castle). Sometimes I'll listen to a variety of Celtic - since it's usually in Gaelic I'm not tempted to sing along. LOL

Mostly I love listening to instrumental music, like movie soundtracks. Right now I'm listening to a mix of Audio Machine and Two Steps From Hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.