Sharpening my writing to getting published

Status
Not open for further replies.

jliz0808

Registered
Reaction score
After taking an almost a 4-year break from writing, I am finding it incredibly difficult to write. The stories I had are still in my head, but with four kids there is a lot going on in my brain that sorting it all out isn't coming as quickly as I would like. The creative side isn't as bad as the grammar and punctuation side. I feel like I have lost that part of my brain. I believe practice makes perfect, so I am hoping it will come back while reworking my YA ms and maybe starting on another paranormal romance that has been bouncing around in my head. So, my first goal is to sharpen my writing skills. I need to remember that there is no rush and to take my time to make sure I am doing my best at a pace I can maintain. (its a marathon not a sprint, right?) I want to finish my rewrite of my YA and then start on another project while maybe a crit partner and/or beta read the completed ms. Of course, my overall goal is to sign with an agent and have my book published. I am not opposed to self-publishing, but for some reason, at this time I feel like I want, or need, that validation of an agent/publisher to tell me my book is good enough. I am not giving myself a time line. No need for added pressure. Here goes.......

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm impressed that you manage to write at all with four kids. I found it a challenge with only two. May I touch the hem of your garment?

But yes indeed, marathon-not-sprint. Take your time. Although I am not a fan of grammar checking programs, using one on a complete chapter or scene can help you figure out what you know or don't know. You can dash off a document for every don't-know you identify. (That's how I finally mastered lay and lie.) I organize mine in a folder named Grammar and give each document as meaningful a name as I can, like Commas-IntroPhrase or Commas-DirectAddress. Then when I'm writing an intro phrase or using direct address, I can find the rule and get it right immediately.

Maryn, so pleased to meet you

jliz0808

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Maryn. Those are some great suggestions. I am slowly trying to sort everything and get a system that is workable.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn's advice is great, and I will adopt it for myself as well. :)
Like you, I'm getting back in the game after a long break. I have to look up the most basics of grammar and punctuation now. Do I use the oxford or ap comma rule in a list? Is it whom or who? Is an em dash the correct choice for this? When does style trump a rule? It is maddening because I used to have a great handle on it. On the plus side, I've been at it for a few months and it is coming together pretty fast. Just stick to it. You'll build your confidence and be ready to roll.

On a side note, I'm looking to swap my recently finished YA low fantasy ms with a beta so let me know if you're interested. It sounds like your next ms will be completely different and my next ms is a New Adult steampunk fantasy so, I'd like to find a beta I mesh with who doesn't mind crossing genre lines and, like me, is willing to read most anything.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there--a virtual salaam from someone who raised three kids.

You'll need a crit partner who's good at some of the grammar and punctuation rules that you're not, and who's tolerant of mistakes. Personally, I think you're doing well to simply get the stories down at all. But if you can draft them, you can polish them, even if it takes some time.

Potentially useful thoughts: could you read passages aloud to your kids to make them feel more involved? You never know--sometimes kids have interesting feedback. And besides, that will accomplish what I call the "read-aloud" editing pass, which I and many other writers find beneficial. And also, do your children bring home grammar and punctuation homework that you could help them work on that would sharpen your skills?

In any case, nothing but best wishes on your success. Having the determination not to quit can sometimes accomplish amazing things. :)

jliz0808

Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear there is hope.

Like you, I'm getting back in the game after a long break. I have to look up the most basics of grammar and punctuation now. Do I use the oxford or ap comma rule in a list? Is it whom or who? Is an em dash the correct choice for this? When does style trump a rule? YES!!It is maddening because I used to have a great handle on it. On the plus side, I've been at it for a few months and it is coming together pretty fast. Just stick to it. You'll build your confidence and be ready to roll. I hope so

On a side note, I'm looking to swap my recently finished YA low fantasy ms with a beta so let me know if you're interested. It sounds like your next ms will be completely different and my next ms is a New Adult steampunk fantasy so, I'd like to find a beta I mesh with who doesn't mind crossing genre lines and, like me, is willing to read most anything.
I am always willing to read and give my feedback. Feel free to email me, and we can talk more and figure out if we could help each other out.

jliz0808

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement. :)

You'll need a crit partner who's good at some of the grammar and punctuation rules that you're not, and who's tolerant of mistakes. Yes, that will probably be a challenge.

Potentially useful thoughts: could you read passages aloud to your kids to make them feel more involved? You never know--sometimes kids have interesting feedback. And besides, that will accomplish what I call the "read-aloud" editing pass, which I and many other writers find beneficial. And also, do your children bring home grammar and punctuation homework that you could help them work on that would sharpen your skills? reading to my kids sounds like a brilliant idea. Thanks

Mr. Sir

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn's advice is good. Especially in your situation, wherein there is no outside force dictating your work, take your time! All will be well when all is well; take your time. Enjoy your writing, as much as you can; it is a slog sometimes, and no force on Earth can change that, but slog through it for the satisfaction of having accomplished your work. We all write because we love it, in the end, even if that love hurts sometimes.

It is a marathon, not a sprint, so as long as you write even a sentence a day, check your grammar once a day, proofread a single line a day... eventually, someday you will have a book.

jliz0808

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Sir. This forum has already been helpful and I know I will get where I need with time.

Status
Not open for further replies.