• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Whats your weirdest ritual to beat writers block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seashelly

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post at Absolute Write. I agree completely with NatSean, not being able to write is like having to poop but you just can't. One trick I sometimes use is telling myself, "I'm not really writing, I'm just looking at this one paragraph...I think this sentence needs to be rewritten...oh, maybe I should look at this sentence too..." And I will get carried away with "just looking" until I've done my writing for the day. It sounds silly, but I think giving myself permission not to write loosens the pressure to the point where I can be productive.

DrDoc

Ex everything; trying something new
Registered
Reaction score
4,000 miles from the center of the Earth.
I call it "story block". If I have a scene in my head, I have no problem writing it down on paper. My problem is figuring out the next scene. When that happens, I get out my legal sized yellow pad and begin making a list of all the things that WONT happen in the next scene. It may take a while, but this usually works.

ChipsAhoyMcCoy

ريانن ✿ &#159
Registered
Reaction score
I like physically writing things down to get rid of writer's block. I was typing up stories on my computer instead of handwriting them by the fourth grade, so physically writing something down holds a lot of meaning. I have this little black notebook that says Madam President on the front, which always inspires me to get my butt into gear and put some words on paper :) On my laptop, I'll switch tabs and text and generally just not write any time I don't feel like writing something. When I'm writing by hand, there's nothing to do but power through the scene. Even if I think my idea is awful or boring or that every word I'm writing is wrong, even if I have to resort to something ridiculous happening because I've got no other ideas, it forces me to churn something out anyway (which, as awful as I think it is as I'm writing it, is usually salvageable with some edits).

DrDoc

Ex everything; trying something new
Registered
Reaction score
4,000 miles from the center of the Earth.
I often try to write by hand, but my scribbling is so bad that I often can't decipher what I wrote. I dislike laptops, too small for my large, clumsy fingers. And my right thumb is always touching the mouse screen, moving the cursor without my knowing, so when I look on the screen to see what I've typed, part of the line is where it shouldn't be.

If I'm really stuck, I start writing a backstory of one of the characters. What are their opinions about things? What is their sense of humor? What do they truly believe in? Is there some Original Incident (OI) in their past that psychologically leads them to where they are?

At some point, I make a connection, and *poof* there I am back writing the story. If there is no *poof*, I'll go read (or watch) some story in my genre I don't like, and try and figure out how I would have made it better.

If that doesn't work, I watch an episode of Star Trek Voyager just for the fun of it.

Regards,

DrDoc

Simone.Garick

Banned
Reaction score
Weirdest Ritual to beat Writer's Block. IMproptu dance off.
I just start writing the caracters doing a dance off out of no where. OU I remove it after of course but it does get the brain firing on a different set of pistons.
That's really all you need to beat it. Get the brain working on something in left field.

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I'll stop writing and examine in detail why I think I'm blocked.

This sounds like a great approach but how do you analyze that kind of situation? When I'm blocked, I'm often at a loss to figure out why.

ChopinsMuse

Registered
Reaction score
I run and listen to music, usually simultaneously. I like to imagine my characters in the scene while the music plays, and the running helps my nerves of having nothing to write.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The goat thing, with the peanut butter and the jumper cables. I'd rather not elaborate, but it's probably for the connoisseur, and there's little evidence of effectiveness.

caw

Dragonairis

Registered
Reaction score
I go to the archery range down the street and shoot a few quivers worth of arrows. Gets my mind focused, drains any nervous energy that's built up through the day, and it's great for the shoulder and back muscles!

I've done this and it works quite well. Unfortunately I've lost access to my range....

I also get myself really worked up over it. Like angry, crying, self recriminations, frustrated yelling in the car. And then, once, I'm quite worked up, I clean something. Clean out a drawer, clean out my car, whatever. Then I make myself a cup of tea and write. Usually gets something going.

Samuel Lee

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
My Way

First, the exercise route is a good idea ... I don't think people this works for are really blocked. Their process is just blurred by current mental and physical conflicts. Exercise allows them to refocus. - Easy Peasey -

In my case, blockage is usually my subconscious informing me that I've screwed up. If it persists, I go back and review the last plot segment, character introductions, branches on the story line. Often I find some point of divergence that needs to be corrected or eliminated. Once that's done, I can usually proceed. If not ...

The goat thing, with the peanut butter and the jumper cables. I'd rather not elaborate,

I generally get really stoned and just start writing, allowing the story to wander where it wishes. That usually requires some cleanup of assorted weirdness, but usually gets things going again, often in previously unforeseen directions.

Last edited:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
I talk to my characters, either in my head like we're having a conversation or on the computer screen. In fact, one time I was at work and I was so blocked that my characters held an intervention.

(Yes I am slightly unhinged.)

Sometimes I write through it anyway.

And sometimes I pull up Notepad on the computer, change tenses and POV, and pretend that I'm "playing." I actually was able to figure out the ending of this one novel that eluded me for weeks this way. It literally poured out of me then, when before I couldn't put even 5 words down. It was amazing.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
I like to make up stage performances to songs I like. It really helps me clear my head. :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
First, the exercise route is a good idea ... I don't think people this works for are really blocked. Their process is just blurred by current mental and physical conflicts. Exercise allows them to refocus. - Easy Peasey -

In my case, blockage is usually my subconscious informing me that I've screwed up. If it persists, I go back and review the last plot segment, character introductions, branches on the story line. Often I find some point of divergence that needs to be corrected or eliminated. Once that's done, I can usually proceed. If not ...

I could say that I don't believe people who have screwed up in their writing are blocked, because all they have to do is delete the screwed-up scene and start over, and bingo! Their block is gone. However, I prefer to say that all block is real and awful to the writer experiencing it, and there's nothing to be gained by dismissing their problems in this way. Let's be respectful and compassionate. It works better in the long run than one-upmanship.

There's been a lot of research into the effects of exercise on creativity, and the effects of being outside rather than inside on it too. Various studies have shown that exercise, preferably done outside, really does help in even the most severe cases of creative (not just writers') block. I've found it's not enough to just go out for a walk, though: I have to be mindful when I'm walking, otherwise I end up stewing over the problem that's probably blocked me in the first place. Pay attention, be present, still your mind. It works.

I generally get really stoned and just start writing, allowing the story to wander where it wishes. That usually requires some cleanup of assorted weirdness, but usually gets things going again, often in previously unforeseen directions.

This is such a good illustration of the problems inherent in developing rituals in order to write. Whether you feel you have to use a favourite pen, work in a particular cafe, or indulge in self-destructive habits like getting "really stoned", drinking, or not sleeping for days, it's restricting. Because there will come a time when that pen is discontinued, that cafe is closed, or you end up getting so stoned that you can't write at all (and even if you don't, the quality of the writing you do when under the influence of anything mind-altering is often poor, so why do it?).

Better, I feel, to avoid getting too enmeshed in rituals and habits with your writing. Work wherever you can. Work in different ways, using different mediums, different approaches. Be flexible and adventurous and disciplined.

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
I try to tap into a manic phase explosion when I'm blocked by fear and self-doubt. It takes about 2-3 days of constantly listening to rousing music, pumping muscles, and beer and *mumble mumble*, until at some point I'm super self-confident to the point of absurdity. This is when I break through the block and start writing/send out the first query for the project/whatever it is that needs to be done.
...The trick is to know to back off from the manic state immediately starting the next day, returning to normal once the curse is broken, instead of cherishing the superhuman feeling and using up your bio and mental resources and then crashing.

Last edited:

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
First, the exercise route is a good idea ... I don't think people this works for are really blocked.
Call it what you will, it works for me. If I stare too much at the page and no words appear in my head, then I jog backwards and forwards through the house. Most often an idea would pop up, just like that. If jogging doesn't work, then turning the computer off always does :ROFL:Best ideas most usually come up when there's nothing at hand to write them down with :roll:

Senki

Registered
Reaction score
I get drunk. Or pick up my guitar and play a few songs. Sometimes I just go for a walk.
I think the best way to get over writer's block is to not think about writing at all. That's when you can "recharge".

F1RacerDan

Registered
Reaction score
not really a ritual but i tend to switch my internet off while at my pc writing as i tend to alt tab and nose at facebook or youtube and it really affects me so i set a timer with short five minute intervals to nose on the net in between writing sessions.

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
This will sound counterintuitive, but I write to get out of writer's block.

Let me explain.

Writer's block is very specific, in my opinion, meaning I get stuck on a specific story, not on writing itself. So I hop to something else completely. Different story, different book, and the "block" is gone, because that "block" is always related to a specific project.

Back when I was getting paid to write books for other people "writer's block" was a luxury I simply couldn't afford—I couldn't just bounce over to another project when I was under deadline. So in that instance, I muscled through. Generally, I would leave myself a note where I got stuck and then I'd start a different chapter so I didn't have to think of the spot where I was stuck. In every instance, the new chapters would solidify the ideas in the spot I got stuck in, so I could later go back and fix them.

Now that I'm writing exclusively for myself, I tend to hop between projects until one demands to be written. I'll get 10,000 words into one, get stuck and go write 1,000 words on another, 4,000 words on a fourth, until the dam breaks and a full book floods out. I did that for a year until I wrote my latest novel in two weeks flat. Even in that insane instance, I got stuck several times, so I bounced over to a new chapter, wrote a few more, then came back to the place where I was formerly stuck and filled it out once my mind was over the block.

To summarize: Even if you have to change projects or subjects, just write and you will find the block going away in time.

Last edited:

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
I could say that I don't believe people who have screwed up in their writing are blocked, because all they have to do is delete the screwed-up scene and start over, and bingo! Their block is gone. However, I prefer to say that all block is real and awful to the writer experiencing it, and there's nothing to be gained by dismissing their problems in this way. Let's be respectful and compassionate. It works better in the long run than one-upmanship.

There's been a lot of research into the effects of exercise on creativity, and the effects of being outside rather than inside on it too. Various studies have shown that exercise, preferably done outside, really does help in even the most severe cases of creative (not just writers') block. I've found it's not enough to just go out for a walk, though: I have to be mindful when I'm walking, otherwise I end up stewing over the problem that's probably blocked me in the first place. Pay attention, be present, still your mind. It works.

This is such a good illustration of the problems inherent in developing rituals in order to write. Whether you feel you have to use a favourite pen, work in a particular cafe, or indulge in self-destructive habits like getting "really stoned", drinking, or not sleeping for days, it's restricting. Because there will come a time when that pen is discontinued, that cafe is closed, or you end up getting so stoned that you can't write at all (and even if you don't, the quality of the writing you do when under the influence of anything mind-altering is often poor, so why do it?).

Better, I feel, to avoid getting too enmeshed in rituals and habits with your writing. Work wherever you can. Work in different ways, using different mediums, different approaches. Be flexible and adventurous and disciplined.

As usual, it's wise to follow the advice of the Old Hack. I agree a hundred percent with everything written here.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm blocked, I knit. Something that requires me to pay attention and possibly with counting too. The story I'm working on will percolate away in the back of my mind and once the voices of the characters get too loud to ignore, I put the knitting down and start writing.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to surf forums when blocked *whistling*

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I ride my motorcycle. Up in the mountains is best, but anywhere will do. Just clears my head, and I start poking at the story.

I think it's important to LIKE the story you're telling, and be interested in it. I'm excited about my next book (that I'm just starting on), I know where it's going and most of what's going to happen, but I'm interested to see all the stuff that happens in between.

I had a teacher long ago that said when stuck in your writing, just write one single sentence that say something that's true. In other words, cut the bull, just tell the truth.

Joscco

Registered
Reaction score
“All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.” - Ernest Hemingway

ww412

Registered
Reaction score
I always have something to snack with. I find it always helped me. Something sweet and something salty. Mix it together and viola! It's weird but it works :)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.