• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Whats your weirdest ritual to beat writers block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Time. Sometimes I just need time to get the clutter in my head in some kind of order.

Writing is like pooping. You can sit there all you want but if you don't have anything inside you, there's no point trying to push it out.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Writing is like pooping. You can sit there all you want but if you don't have anything inside you, there's no point trying to push it out.
That is so gross...and yet, so accurate.

I don't know that I do anything weird. Mostly, I try to sleep. I get a lot of ideas in my sleep.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I read, and while that's not necessarily weird as a general rule, I guess it's weird because that's really all I do to stop thinking

Last edited:

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Not really weird, but, if I have something to do that takes time but doesn't involve my brain, like bathing or commuting, I make a point of getting into writing headspace before it, for example by reading over the last thing I wrote. I don't set any expectation for myself of using that mental idle time for writing ideas, but often it happens.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I'll stop writing and examine in detail why I think I'm blocked. I've had many short stories that took off on false starts, but I reworked them all to my satisfaction. One fantasy story I had was good in theory, but it was missing something I couldn't put my finger on. Then I saw an anthology advertisement and rewrote it as a science fiction story with aliens (yet, if you compare the two drafts, they're almost the same underneath).

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Not weird, I guess, but I go to work or watch TV depending on time of day / evening.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
I came to this thread because I've been having the same problem, writer's block for five months now.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Getting outside seems to help a lot. If I can find a trail somewhere and just walk for awhile my head tends to clear itself out. Doesn't work every time. But so far it's been my best cure. Luckily for me Michigan is a gorgeous state, so those trails are always pretty close and easy to come by.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's that weird, but I walk in the wooded trails in the park and talk out loud as my characters.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's that weird, but I walk in the wooded trails in the park and talk out loud as my characters.

I DO THE SAME THING. I talk to them. It makes me feel a little bananas. But it helps.

I also find myself mumbling to my characters when I'm drawing them. I'm sure I look cuckoo to my classmates.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I DO THE SAME THING. I talk to them. It makes me feel a little bananas. But it helps.

I also find myself mumbling to my characters when I'm drawing them. I'm sure I look cuckoo to my classmates.

If there are a lot of people in the park, I pretend I'm talking on the phone. No one knows you are talking to yourself.

SoulofaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to get ideas easiest when I'm physically occupied, but not mentally. So... I'll go for a drive, or a walk, or take a shower. These tend to help.

Count me among those who talk to my characters, too. I don't know, it helps.

spork

Registered
Reaction score
I always take a shower. I think it's easier to figure something out when there's nothing else to occupy my attention.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Joking aside, recently I went for a walk down to Washington Square. The statue of Nathaniel Hawthorne sits there and I sat on the bench, looking up at him and thinking about the world he lived in and the things he had seen.

It helps. I won't go into detail for how it helped me, because it's personal. But I did something similar when I lived near Robert Frost's grave and in both cases, sometimes it's just as simple remembering that those who came before us had lives and had to deal with the real world, too.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Another big fan of walking here!

I am extremely lucky where I live, there is a river one side and a lake the other and I can cross the river to a beautiful wooded island which has a few small channels and ponds that form a fish hatchery. The wildlife is amazing, wandering round the island and watching a couple of kingfishers darting fast and low along one of the overhung streams is simply awesome and it seems to stretch my brain in just the right way.

Another thing that I find helps is to cycle into town and go for coffee, especially on market day. Watching all those people wander by unknowingly auditioning for a part in my novel really helps (c:

spork

Registered
Reaction score
I am extremely lucky where I live, there is a river one side and a lake the other and I can cross the river to a beautiful wooded island which has a few small channels and ponds that form a fish hatchery. The wildlife is amazing, wandering round the island and watching a couple of kingfishers darting fast and low along one of the overhung streams is simply awesome and it seems to stretch my brain in just the right way.

Do you need a roommate? The sewage treatment plant around the corner from my house kind of ruins any attempts to take a walk.

Also, NateSean, I also find it helpful to think about people who inspire me and the obstacles they had to overcome to accomplish their goals. At a minimum, it prevents me from throwing a pity party.

JenniferMannering

Registered
Reaction score
I RUN

But actually. Exercise is KEY.

Also music. I get so inspired by music.

Also also, I write in an actual notebook. I don't know what it is, but writing things down on actual paper seems to help a lot.

Also also also tea :)

J.J.PITTS

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure I've ever had writers block. Sometimes I'm not sure exactly where something is going or my plan is slowing, but overall I've not had a real wall develop.

Another big fan of walking here!

The few times I've struggled, a long walk will take care of it. I'm lucky enough to have nothing but about 20 miles of deep forest between my home and Mt. St. Helens. Not even neighbors. A long walk through chest deep ferns under the tall fir trees some two or three hundred feet tall will normally take care of things. If I exhaust myself in a 12-15 mile hike through this difficult terrain, the answer has come to me 100% of the time. :snoopy:

Ink-Pen-Paper

Life Is Full Of Stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
what-me.com
After three years of mostly not writing, only an occasional thought entered into the thought list, I bought a typewriter last week and have been back in the craft doing more and having fun at it than in years. Some of it is knocking out a page of type rebuilding the typing muscles, it is a manual machine. Now that I can pound out a page without stopping, I am writing basics such as scenes and character bio's on it. I can scan the page and import it into ywriter. Groovy (I have been doing a lot of 60's review for a character). Full pages for the novels are next.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
After three years of mostly not writing, only an occasional thought entered into the thought list, I bought a typewriter last week and have been back in the craft doing more and having fun at it than in years. Some of it is knocking out a page of type rebuilding the typing muscles, it is a manual machine. Now that I can pound out a page without stopping, I am writing basics such as scenes and character bio's on it. I can scan the page and import it into ywriter. Groovy (I have been doing a lot of 60's review for a character). Full pages for the novels are next.

I'm glad! When I don't want to write on the computer, I write by hand because I have no typewriter. I hope I can get writing soon. Good luck with your new novel and I hope it turns out to be a bestseller! :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
For me, personally, a walk cures most anything. It's not weird, but it works. I do kind of live my characters in the walk.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I sit in front of my computer and just start typing. It doesn't matter what it is. I start with a blank page and write whatever comes to mind. Eventually my mind of preoccupied issues drift away and I can delve into my story.

Tim Archer

Registered
Reaction score
I go to the archery range down the street and shoot a few quivers worth of arrows. Gets my mind focused, drains any nervous energy that's built up through the day, and it's great for the shoulder and back muscles!

Status
Not open for further replies.