Looking for testers to test the load and look of new site.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm redesigning my site and I like if ya could look at it in yer little screens, big screens, whatever ya got to see how it looks. Specifically does the content get shoved out of view, does the header break, that kind of stuff. And how's the load time?

I'm still tweaking and fussing, but thought I better stop and see if I need to fix somethin' I didn't know I need to fix. :tongue

This is all at a test site: http://zetaportal.com/test/

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
About a three second load time, banner last. Everything looks fine. Kind of expecting a title on the banner, though?

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I tried it on my iPad. Loaded in less than a second for me. No breakages or hinky glitches as I explored the pages. Text size is nice and legible.

Just two notes: I also was looking for a title in the banner; the doorway in the pic for the banner is offcenter, which I just noticed so if you didn't just load that for random testing and that's the actual header pic, perhaps recropping so the doorway is central in the banner? (That all depends on where ya put the header text though :))

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

I've been playing with the banner a lot and I can't find the right place or look for a "title". I had it on the wall on the left and right--graffiti style, but it looked out of place. I'm wondering if I need to try and not make it blend in with the header. Maybe a "foreground" sort of thing. I'm trying--trying--to let it go for a few days then return to it fresh. In the mean time, I've been searching out all my old themes go to graphics like the bullets and dividers and stuff and updating those to match. (I switched my color theme from black and red to black/gray and blue.)*

Thanks for the note on the centering.
And on the text size. I always worry about that!

*I love the search and replace WP plugin! It will can all the old images to the new ones in a snap.:)

ETA: Or maybe I should hide the title in the header like the Highlight magazine hidden pictures.--Or just tell people I did and let them drive themselves insane... :ROFL:

Last edited:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Not quite three seconds over a cellular connection. The only real though I had is that the left side of the banner confuses me, like there's supposed to be something there.

I like the overall look though.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Loaded almost instantly. The first thing I noticed was the left wall was dimmer than the right. I understand light and shadow, but it would really pop if both sides matched. I'm persnickety like that, though. Everything worked. I like.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea you are going with here - the site has kind of a dark feel to it, so for the urban fantasy it could work very well once all the details are fleshed out. I also read a few of your writings briefly, and like your writing style. Hannah's Fate I actually read all the way through, and that was nicely done! I'd recommend removing the Archives widget. Study after study has suggested that no one really goes back into your archives on a website. Websites are for current content readers these days.

Ok, now on to the hard part - things I'd change. Please take these thoughts with a grain of salt as this is just one person's opinion.

It's definitely a Wordpress site, and looks to be a modified version of the Frontier theme. I have used Wordpress extensively since it first came out as a CMS for website design, and the theme selections have become almost too many to choose from. I'm not personally a fan of the block look and like things a bit more expansive. Blocked off areas are harder on the eyes of the average viewer and things feel very cramped for me with this theme. That said, if your readers like the look then run with it. When it comes to website design in general though, it's an interesting beast - it really depends on what kind of look you're going for, and what you hope to accomplish with the site. When you think about it, normally a website serves a couple purposes:

1. A place to promote and market your own content, whether that be books, photographs, videos, or widgets.

I don't see any sort of call to action that makes me want to do anything. Is there a download or a free preview that I can get of some of your writing (other than the text link)? Given your theme selection, not really sure you have the ability to make a "call to action" widget immediately visible and easily changeable as you publish or create new material for your readers to get/read/review.

2. A place where people can go to find out more about you and your product

You have an About Page, but no content there yet, and it looks like your Welcome landing page is what will ultimately be the About page.

Your landing page for the website should immediately capture the audience and I am looking more at the header graphic than I am the text or your cartoon picture. I'd suggest this be a short sample of one of your most popular works.

I'd definitely make sure you not only have a bio, but also I'd suggest a real pic here - cartoon pics are nice for the social media scene, but on your website you really want a professionally taken portfolio style head shot as it's not just readers, but agents, publishers, and others that may visit here. While I am new to the writing world, from what I've read thus far both on this site and elsewhere, you essentially have to market yourself to several audiences:

a. Your readers that follow you directly
b. Agents that are interested in getting you signed
c. Editors (more on that in a minute)

While the readers may enjoy the funky artistic stuff, agents and publishers probably would be reviewing your website not just for the creative word elements, but also to get an idea of how you "run your business". Let's face it, while we all love to write, when you set up a website, essentially we are saying "I want to get paid!". So, the primary goal is to attract readership and sell your work. Does this design accomplish that? Think about it from the reader, agent, and editor perspective. Would a potential reader buy from this new layout? Where would they go to do that? I'm not getting the sense there.

Yes, you have the Contact link in your Nav bar, but it blends in with everything else, making it less visible to agents. I'd make the Contact page a widget on your sidebar rather than your Nav bar.

If I were your editor, it'd be kinda cool if I could get the latest version from you here and upload edits back to you here. Email is such a p.i.t.a. anymore. FTP or cloud file management is where it's at, and you can easily accomplish this with Wordpress!

3. A portal for your various social media outlets (are you on FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc.?)

I hate being on social media, but when I was actively shooting as a wedding photographer, I spent more time on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest than I ever spent shooting or editing photos. Social media sucks, but it's through social media that you draw in new readers. I know you have SoMe accounts because I followed links to your old page and saw the links there. Don't forget to add those in on the redesign.

Okay, now getting back to the website design and layout itself, as a reader, if I were to go to your website because I liked your writing, I would like to see that right there on the landing page. I see the link to it easier on your old/present site (again, Wordpress - Suffusion theme?) I also like the other site because the header graphic and the background graphic blend well so they flow seamlessly. It's a cleaner look here, the text jumps out more for me, though on the published fiction page that sidebar goes way too long imho.

Themes that I like for writing are:

From Wordpress.org (aka free)
Clean Journal
Magazine Basic (I actually ran this theme for quite a while)
Manage Issue Based Magazine
Matata

From Woo Commerce: (Themes under $100)
Hub
Forefront
Peddlar

From ThemeForest (Themes under $50)
Payper
Literatum
ReadWrite

Hope this helps, and sorry it was so long....website design, specifically Wordpress, is kind of a niche thing for me! :)

ETA: On Wordpress, Jetpack has a Mobile site option that basically converts your Nav menu to a pancake, or you can add a plugin for mobile platforms. This is why it's actually better to go with a responsive theme though because they will adjust the layout based on the device type in use (phone, tablet, desktop)

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I agree that there is an overall dark feel, but them welcome butterfly and a cartoon avatar--which is not especially cohesive.

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CBJason: Thanks! You clicked over to my actually site and read stuff. I'm glad you like Hannah's Fate.

The site your being directed to is a mock up, the theme will be moved to the current site that has all the content once at some point. Suffusion was deprecated and the creator is no longer updating it, which means at some point it will stop working. I just want to be prepared before that happens and I know a large update is coming in December.

I spent a month and a half searching themes and Frontier gave me the closest feel to what I wanted--without a crapton of css customization.

Lookwise, I love my old design, but it speaks more fantasy than urban fantasy, which might be misleading.

Gotta take a call, brb

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CBJason, I get what you're saying about the block boxes. I did play with a few themes that had other options. I could even do that with Frontier, by removing the borders and changing the background, but it changes the feel. But I'm still open and playing, so I will experiment some more.—Most of my readers come from Blogger environments so they are use to the blocks. ;)

Oh, and the sidebar will change up. Suffusion has the tabbed widget so adding the archive, tags, and whatever else is there was okay. I'm not sure what I'll be adding yet, categories for sure, but I don't think I'll add the tags. I kinda hate the way those look.

Call to Action
Uh, I don't really have one. I mean other than the homepage that has the read my fiction, etc. My biggest call to action is to read the blog at this point which is on the homepage of the actual site.

About Page
I have one on my actual site. My welcome page will be like the page on my actual site too.

EVERYTHING YOU SAID WAS HELPFUL!
Fortunately, I have time to work out the kinks—or change everything. I will definitely consider everything.

ETA: Frontier is responsive and actually looks pretty good on mobile devices. The only thing that could be improved is how is handles the navigation bar. (Suffusion did not handle it well.)

Last edited:

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that there is an overall dark feel, but them welcome butterfly and a cartoon avatar--which is not especially cohesive.

Yeah, the butterflies are a carry over from the last site design, those may go away. The avatar is a tricky one. I could leave it out all together. I've had a few of my regulars look over the site, and they liked it. It's a tough call.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Loaded in a little over a second - Windows/Chrome on my work laptop on the office connection.

The banner's a little dark--probably due to my screen settings.

Clicking around, tabs load in about 1-2 seconds. Going back to home from other tabs took about 3 seconds.

I like the butterflies.

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank everybody again. I hope to bring down that 3 seconds some of you experienced. I have a lot of crap added that I've been testing. Once I clear that out and reduce the header a bit more, hopefully that will do it.

And thanks tiddlywinks for pointing out the doorway wasn't centered. I've been focused on everything else, and wow it was way off center (easy to notice when ya shrink the screen, doh).

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm trying to finish all my messing around with it, so tomorrow I can pretend to write an outline for NaNoWrMo on Tuesday. ;)