• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Champagne Book Group

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Bookstores will not all tend to order a specific small press book. So it can be available, but only stocked by a few.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
AstonWest, I'm curious as to why you think distribution was not even across the board. Do you suppose writers with their second or third book are getting better distribution because they're proven? Or is there another reason?
Like I said, it may just be a matter of some local bookstore managers being more willing to order direct from the publisher than others. I do not know what other authors have experienced, only myself. It may in fact be that all books have the same distribution setup. I have sampled a few books via B&N and Borders online, and mine does not show up as available to order while others appear to be. In store, I have been told that it does not show up in their ordering computers (and the managers I speak with tell me they must be listed before scheduling signings and such). I have not asked about other author's books to see if they can be ordered.

Like I mentioned, I've enjoyed my experience with Champagne for Heroes Die Young. The ability to order in stores would have improved my experience, but has not deterred me from promoting it online. I'm certain that I've sold far more e-books than print copies (based on various indicators), and look forward to my first royalty statement. Heroes Die Young was listed at the top of the Champagne best-selling list (on their main site) for at least a month or two, and I believe dropped to #2 after that for another month, so it should be fun to see what that translates into as far as sales go.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Chumplet, congrats on the weeks at 1.

Is there a reason you don't know what your sales totals are? When did your book come out? Have you not received royalty statements at all since release?

Thanks! :hi:

Champagne sends out royalty statements twice a year, and my book was released July 1 in e-format. I should find out within a couple of weeks whether the sales were up to my expectations.

Last edited:

KMTolan

No drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmtolan.com
Hi folks! After lurking for awhile, I decided to plunge in, and this thread about my publisher seems the best place.

I have been with Champagne Books for two years, give or take. I have published two books through them so far, and received royalties. The books are "Blade Dancer" (up for an EPPIE) and "Waiting Weapon" - both are Science Fiction.

CB's handling of authors, from my perspective, is excellent. The contract is reasonable, with 30% royalties and such. I have some say in my book covers - which are nicely rendered. I have books in both e-book and trade - although the primary venue for both is online. Book stores do not carry this publisher.

I have met Ellen personally. Very independent woman and straight forward. Good sense of humor (she needs it with me).

If I was to gripe, it would be that she primarily runs a Romance outfit, so all of her reviewers and contacts promotion-wise will be in that area. Sort of tough for a science fiction writer, but I was selected to help her break out into that genre so I knew what I was getting into. Still, after two years, she still has not been able to find a good SF review site, but it is not through a lack of both of us trying. She is, after all, an e-book Indie, and much of the market is aimed at the New York traditional publishing industry.

I would recommend her to any new author, but with the caution to have reduced expectations in so far as sales and royalties. Such is the lot of an Indie. CB is distributed through Fictionwise, Amazon, and other venues. They are currently sampling the audio market.

Kerry

Bushdoctor

Registered
Reaction score
thanks for that. i ran a search for it but nothing came up. D'oh

wanda45451964

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Jennifer try Wild rose press, or Desert Breeze Publishing. Do not do whiskey creek, because they are on the P@E list, and writer beware list. P@E highly recommends WRP.

wanda45451964

Registered
Reaction score
I didnt see anything about Champagne books on P@E. You need to look there.

authorilinca

Here we go again
Registered
Reaction score
im really hoping the people complaining were not first time authors.

anyway, im wondering. cb asked for my whole manuscript saying they read my submission with interest. according to their website, i should be expecting a response very soon but im wondering: if they dont accept it after all, will they tell me why? or give me any tips or anything? if they do, im in a win/win situation. if they accept, then whoo hoo! if they dont, someone would finally tell me something HELPFUL haha!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
im really hoping the people complaining were not first time authors.

anyway, im wondering. cb asked for my whole manuscript saying they read my submission with interest. according to their website, i should be expecting a response very soon but im wondering: if they dont accept it after all, will they tell me why? or give me any tips or anything? if they do, im in a win/win situation. if they accept, then whoo hoo! if they dont, someone would finally tell me something HELPFUL haha!

A publisher or agent who rejects a manuscript is under no obligation to provide any further information beyond "no thanks". It's rare when somebody gets something extensive, however, but I wouldn't count on it. If you have something you'd like critiqued, take a look at the Share Your Work sections here and post an excerpt.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Champagne has had my manuscript since mid Dec and if I remember right, their web site said 4-6 months. I know Ellen told me I would have a decision in the spring...

authorilinca

Here we go again
Registered
Reaction score
oh! i sent mine in on dec 14 and last i saw the website said 3 months but if she told you different i'll believe you. I didn't ask or anything. Just waiting. I'm a wuss at confronting anyone when it comes to my work haha! good thing i asked here :) thx!

authorilinca

Here we go again
Registered
Reaction score
hey all, i'm wondering if anyone got a recent response from CB on their submission?

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Nope...no response. I assume it did not fit Ellen's needs and have moved on. I got no complaint...

authorilinca

Here we go again
Registered
Reaction score
cb just offered me a contract :) beyond excited :)

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats...

From the authors I know who have pubbed with them they have no complaints. Champaign also gets reviews of books doing well...

Best of luck...

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Well, I don't know if it was discussed, but they moved to quarterly royalties instead of six months (when I first signed).

My book is coming up on two years and it's been doing okay by e-pub standards. I'm afraid I don't visit the loops as much as some of the more successful e-pubbed authors, so the modest sales are mostly due to my blogging & Twitter contacts.

I'm still pleased with their fair treatment, open communication and hard work promoting their products.