Happy Thanksgiving

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Champagne Book Group

LastPage

Champagne Book Group

I know Champagne Books just recently hit the market, but boy are they awesome. I just checked out their forum at http://www.champagnebooks.com/forum/

I was really impressed with their line of books. I think I'll try to submit to them.

LastPage

Identify thyself, oh Unnamed Emissary of Champagne Books Who Is Fooling Nobody.

champagnebooks
    Actually, the above poster is not a member of the Champagne Books staff. If you have any questions, please fire away.

It's nice to hear that someone thinks we're awesome. We're new, but we're trying. Incidentally, we are closed to submissions at this time.
    But thank you for the thought.

J. Ellen Smith
    Publisher/Managing Editor
    www.champagnebooks.com
    Last edited by champagnebooks; 06-19-2005 at 09:07 AM.

practical experience, FTW Toni1953's Avatar

Champagne Books

Has anyone heard anything good, bad or indifferent about Champagne Books? I heard they are not only e-publishers, but some of their titles are also mass market pb's? Can anyone verify?
    Toni
    Repped by Josh Getzler, HSG Literary
    Hey! My cat has his own blog! (Yes, Rocco blogs!) http://www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
    Out now: CLAWS FOR ALARM, the second Nick and Nora mystery
    coming December 2016: OF CRIME AND CATNIP

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni1953
    Has anyone heard anything good, bad or indifferent about Champagne Books? I heard they are not only e-publishers, but some of their titles are also mass market pb's? Can anyone verify?
    http://www.champagnebooks.com/

Paperback, yes. But trade, not mass market.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

06-05-2006 12:35 PM
    Toni1953

Postscript

I just wanted to add that I submitted a romance novella to this publisher.
    A few weeks later i received a rejection, but the rejection was very nicely worded. They made suggestions to improve the manuscript and invited me to resubmit after making the revisions, if I were so inclined.

Now, why can't every publisher be like this? (I know, I know the answer,but...) From my limited experience, encouragement like this is few and far between.....I think if more publishers could do this, they would find a lot of authors willing to listen to their suggestions and quite possibly they could have a number of good selling books on their hands. If I remember correctly, wasn't it an editor at HarperCollins who encouraged Patricia Cornwell to rewrite her manuscript and make Kay Scarpetta the main character instead of a supporting one??
    06-05-2006 12:43 PM
    Aconite

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toni1953
    Now, why can't every publisher be like this? (I know, I know the answer,but...)
    Answer 1: http://www.sfrevu.com/ISSUES/2002/02...0Tor/Page.html. See the manuscripts piled on every horizontal surface?

Answer 2: As you know, the majority of people subbing aren't knowledgable authors, and don't understand that a critique and suggestions are compliments. They scream, they argue, they tell you why you're wrong. They tell you why on the phone, and in 20-page, single-spaced, 8-point letters. Repeatedly.

Good luck with the rewrite, and good on you for taking a critique in the right spirit.
    06-05-2006 12:47 PM
    Old Hack

Having done my time as an editor I think that most editors ARE like this, and will readily comment on work which they think shows promise. However, if the work is just too far off then they won't comment, as they know that no amount of work is going to make it what they want (and that isn't just because it is bad--although most of what's in the slush pile is--but because most of the submissions editors and agents receive simply don't fit with what they deal with).

Oh, and here's a very interesting discussion of the subject over at Making Light:

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight...es/004641.html

Hope the link works.
    06-05-2006 12:49 PM
    Christine N.

Yes! Exactly. Standing on this side of the fence now (I'm giving a hand to my pub by reading some subs, so the slush doesn't take over; and having gotten a 'rebuttal' to a review I wrote) I completely understand the need for form rejection slips.

You never know if the person whom you're rejecting is going to go off on you three ways from Sunday.

Or just send you a snippy note back, which has also happened even when I sent them a very nice form rejection. I remember liking the premise of the story, just wasn't crazy about the execution. Sometimes it really ISN'T your book. I used to think it was always about my work - now I know first hand that it isn't.
    06-05-2006 08:25 PM
    Branwyn

I just wish I could find that magickal combination, me and the right agent for me.
    06-05-2006 08:32 PM
    veinglory

IMHO the response is positive and constructive because it's not a rejection. If you like the look of these guys make the changes and resubmit.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

EZ Publishing Calgary Canada

Dear Sir/Madam

Can you give me any information about EZ Publishing in Calgary Canada owned by Champagne Enterprises who are advertising for manuscripts.

Thanks,

I saw them advertised on EZBoard.

I heart Malamutes! :-) JerseyGirl1962's Avatar
    Duped,

You might get more replies on the Bewares and Background Checks forum.

Maybe one of the mods can move this thread?

~Nancy
    Screw the new blog, I've resurrected my old blog: Writerly Stuff.

I twit, therefore I am?

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~Thomas Edison

It took me fifteen years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. ~Robert Benchley

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    Google doesn't have anything on them having *anything* to do with publishing.

but if they're advertising via bulletin boards...

A good rule of thumb: Any agent or publisher which advertises is one to avoid. This includes Google ads, spam via email or to message boards, ads in the back of magazines, etc.

http://www.champagnebooks.com

http://ezppublishing.homestead.com/

Looks to be a POD/ebook operation created by ex-PA authors.
    ICAO
    ---------

P&E listing
    Champagne Books: A electronic and small press dedicated to bringing excellence in romantic fiction to the romance community.
    Writer, Designer, Publisher, Publishing Technology Guru, and star of We Didn't Trash Your File, the world's greatest video on the history of desktop publishing which you can watch right now at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWptOBfqcpk.

Quote Originally Posted by Duped
    Dear Sir/Madam
    Duped, you are so formal and polite. I haven't been called Sir/Madam in ages.

Bang head here for service ModoReese's Avatar
    For whatever it's worth - I lived in Calgary and have never heard of them. I checked both the Yellow and White Pages and found no listing (the phone books are relatively new).

Was there any physical address information in the ad?

practical experience, FTW
    EZP Publishing is in Calgary, Canada and is a sub of Champagne Books. I just submitted a ms to them and was accepted. My book, FULL CIRCLE is due out in November. They are accepting manuscripts for review. Go to Champagne Books and see all the necessary data on EZP.

Joyce Rapier
    www.authorsden.com/joycelrapier

A work in progress Saundra Julian's Avatar
    I have conversed with the owner of Champagne and EZP Publishing and have found Ellen to be a no-nonsense, honest person.

Holding out for a Superhero... Sheryl Nantus's Avatar
    Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
    but can they get your book into bookstores?

are the books returnable?

little details like that...

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Moved this thread from Ask the Agent to Bewares, where it seems better suited.

- Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by ModoReese
    For whatever it's worth - I lived in Calgary and have never heard of them. I checked both the Yellow and White Pages and found no listing (the phone books are relatively new).

Was there any physical address information in the ad?
    Yes, their address is:-

EZP
    Calgary
    AB
    Canada

or

#35069-4604
    37 St SW
    Calgary
    AB
    Canada
    T3E 7C7

Thanks to all of you who have replied so far.

I might submit an ms to them but I need more detail as to what they offer.

Anyone know any more?

Kind Regards

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    The website is heavily focused on ebooks and says in its FAQ 'no returns.' So that likely means 'no bookstore presence'.

The address is a post-box at the strip mall on that block. It's near my xray clinic, and there's a decent little deli as well.

Also (Grammar Nazi Alert!) the CEO's blog has at least two misused homonyms in the first few entries: 'more often than NAUGHT' and 'didn't make it PASSED the first round'. She might be using voice software (which drops those things in a lot) but I always think it's a bad sign when a publishing professional doesn't make the effort to proofread her own public words.

practical experience, FTW nevada's Avatar
    wow, lot of people in Calgary. I was going to offer to do a drive-by but Jana has that covered. Never mind. lol

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I'm not exactly in Calgary (Bragg Creek) but I do most of my shopping, doctoring etc in the SW. So it wasn't a stretch to identify the location.

Also, for what it's worth, the publisher's blog says she has a day job and works on her publishing business evenings and weekends. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

paranormal interest Jennifer Robins's Avatar

Champagne Books

I signed a contract with Champagne in January after submitting it the end of Nov 2006. Ellen, the publisher asked to leave a release date out of the contract until she could have a chance to start on the edits. I foolishly agreed. Now after eight months she still refuses to give me a release date. She first told me it would be mid summer, then she said late next year and when I got upset, she was angry but then said maybe late summer or early fall. She takes any where from four to six weeks between edits and only does a few pages. After waiting this time (the fourth one,) for five weeks I asked again what she had planned for my book and she once again exploded into a rage. I am getting a release. She is too hard to work with.
    I have heard from a few others who are having problems but there are others who are zipping right through in having their books out in less than six months.

Jennifer Robins
    Last edited by Jennifer Robins; 07-18-2007 at 09:47 PM.

practical experience, FTW Glenda's Avatar
    Sorry to hear you going through that, Jennifer. It sounds like a release is the best thing for you at this point.
    Glenda Wilson

Join me @ my hangout.
    Writer's Haven

I have my own Space, feel free to
    Be My Friend

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast