copyright - print non-fiction to video format

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
[I checked the forum archives, but didn't find anything related. This appears to be a 'cross-over' question]

Currently, I am considering the 'conversion' of a non-fiction print work/series into a video format. By this, I mean the scripting of the material into a industrial video format, in a tv style.

My questions are thus:

i) as an adaptation, would I need the publisher's approval/copyright license?;

ii) if one was to do a video production based only on its ideas eg.
a springboard, would I need the publisher's approval/copyright license?;

Thanks,

ATP

Last edited by a moderator:

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I don't know if a layperson can give you accurate advice on this one ATP. It sounds to me like you'd have to take a magnifying glass to your contract, especially to any clauses relating to subsidiary rights. And you'd best have a lawyer well-versed in publishing law verify what you think it says.

Maybe Jaws will amble along to give you his input. You might consider editing your subject line to include a shoutout to him.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
ATP said:
[I checked the forum archives, but didn't find anything related. This appears to be a 'cross-over' question]

Currently, I am considering the 'conversion' of a non-fiction print work/series into a video format. By this, I mean the scripting of the material into a industrial video format, in a tv style.

My questions are thus:

i) as an adaptation, would I need the publisher's approval/copyright license?;

ii) if one was to do a video production based only on its ideas eg.
a springboard, would I need the publisher's approval/copyright license?;

Thanks,

ATP

If you don't own the copyright, then you must have permission to use the material in any way, shape, or form, including industrial video format.

If you produce a video based on the material, it better be different enough to constitute a brand new work. If not, you're in violation of copyright law. If it's obvious the video, or any part of it, you produce came directly from the book, you'd be in serious, and very expensive, trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.