Freelance Writing Question

stking

Registered
Reaction score
I am Steve, originally from Los Angeles and now living in the Philippines. I was a creative writer and pretty much switched to freelance writing in April of this year. I worked in lower paying services (Zerys and Upwork) until I ventured beyond them and found a client who is now paying me 8 cents a word. I am doing well with her and am on a long-term project that should last another four months. The rapport is good. At the end of the long-term project, I am tempted to ask for a 1 cent per word raise to 9 cents a word because I feel I am doing a good job for her---BUT, I am also worried that request might backfire and she could think I am charging too much. Not sure what to do---any advice?? thanks!!

FCS Eli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Congratulations on moving on from Upwork and similar platforms. You can find decently paying gigs there, but I think your experience is pretty common -- you can land more valuable clients elsewhere.

There's nothing wrong with asking for more. As long as you approach it tactfully, the worst they can do is say no.

Think about it from her perspective. Which is easier: giving your current content creator an 11% raise, or dropping them and starting over from scratch?