Looking for a poem about theory of mind

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
In other words, awarenes that other people exist and have thoughts. If there is such an animal, I thought the denizens of this subforum might know.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
What you find here http://spiritfirst.org/ might fit the bill. I believe there is also a contest underway now. No entrance fee, cash prize. I've lost a couple of times.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
That's not quite what the theory of mind is. The mind is an unobservable entity, and as such has no proof of existence. The only knowledge an individual has of mind is the awareness of oneself. Understanding that I am aware, that I have thoughts, feelings, fears, desires, etc proves my mind--but I cannot say the same for anyone else. Instead, through analogy of my own experience, and in observance of behaviour of others, the theory of mind concludes that all people have a mind, and that their mind is individual to them; thoughts, feelings, fears, desires, unconnected to my own, but analogous and reciprocal to the same stimuli. The theory of mind thus also makes up the foundation of empathy, and sympathy.

So, to me, what your asking for is a poem that discusses, or portrays the mind, or emotional state of someone other than the poet; a poem that explores social symbiosis; a head hopper, or a poem that explicitly describes the theory of mind like a thesis.

Would you like that formal verse, free verse, rhymed or un-rhymed? Classical, modern? Famous or unknown poet? Because there are literally shit loads of such poems :) -- however, see this link for an interesting poet driven by understanding identity, mind, individualism etc

Rate-a-Poet Fernando-Pessoa

Last edited: