Tired Of Getting Paid Peanuts From Magazine

NickIandolo

A Living Synecdoche
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tenthsphere.com
Hey Fellow Freelance Writers,

I'm soliciting some opinions and advice about a magazine I sometimes write for.

Here's the thing:

This magazine, is run by very good people, the owner and publisher is a good acquaintance of mine, and has been good to me in a lot of ways—except monetarily.

What I mean by that is that this magazine (with a webzine component) pays $25 per article regardless of word count.

For example, I could a write a 500 word documentary review in the print-zine and get paid $25 for it. Then I could write (which I have) a 12,000 word complete coverage of a major local pop-culture convention and still only get $25 for it!

Granted, the latter of those two I got free unfettered access to the event for all days (including the celebrities and afterparty there), and free parking, which is a value in and of itself.

However, after 21 hours of coverage last year (no per diem for food or transportation costs), a ridiculous amount of interviews, and a ridiculous amount of writing hours afterwards, that $25 seems a little too low-ball for all of that work.

I don't want to sound ungrateful, and there was a time that going to these things for free and getting paid a few bucks for doing some fun stuff was great but after 4 years of this getting paid peanuts for all of this work, I'm kind of tired of it.

And I have tried to get them to come up with more money but they refuse, refuse, refuse.

There was a time that I thought that writing for this magazine was a great boost to my career but really it hasn't gone anywhere because of it.

I don't know how it is for some of you freelance writers out there but I'd like to get some opinions.

Shouldn't I be getting like a few cents a word or something like that?

Also, they only call me when this convention comes rolling around. It's been a long time since they've tapped me for other articles. And they sure don't need any editors, so there's no career path there.

I'm thinking about declining this assignment for the first time in years, which could end my relationship with this publication.

How do I nicely do that?

And is it still worth it to be writing for this magazine?

Thanks,
Nick

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Hi, Nick -

It doesn't sound like you're gaining anything from writing for this publication. We writers can fall into a nice-guy syndrome where we're too nice / too polite / too confrontation-averse to give up on clients that are not ever going to raise our rates.

You've got several clips from this pub, right? So I'd use those clips to start pitching other, better-paying publications. And you don't have to make your goodbye elaborate - a simple, "As of this year, I've raised my freelancing rates and will need to pass on this project for now. Thanks for thinking of me." Short, sweet, and to the point.

NickIandolo

A Living Synecdoche
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tenthsphere.com
Thanks a bunch everyone!

I think I know what to do now with this magazine and assignment.

Time to move on, in a respectful way, and seek out better writing opportunities.

Best,
Nick

stking

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Nick----I am Steve and am brand new on here. I was kind of where you were about 2 months ago except I don't write for magazines. I was originally doing creative writing but switched to freelance writing in April of this year because I was more successful at it and was making more consistent money although still on the low side. I originally signed on to the Zerys and Upwork sites (found out about them from Freedom with Writing). I started out with Zerys making 7/10 of a cent per word. I was building my skills writing for them and Upwork but was not earning much. Then I listened to this webcast from a guy connected with Freedom with Writing (forgot his name) who said both Zerys and Upwork were content mills (did not pay writers enough--they take their cut, etc) and strongly recommended expanding to Reddit, Problogger, and Indeed. Through Problogger, I found a client who is now paying me 8 cents a word and am now on a 4 month writing assignment which is paying me some bucks. Anyhow, check out these sites I mentioned (to others to). In my case, it was trial and error and putting a lot of applications in to clients advertising on Reddit, Problogger and Indeed. Hope this helps and good luck to you! Steve

stking

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Angie----You may be a good person to answer my question. After going thru lower paying work on Zerys and Upwork, I found a good client thru Problogger who is paying me 8 cents word and giving me some long writing assignments which is bringing in very decent money--the rapport is good with this client too. One of these assignments is a long term project that could last another 3-4 months. I was contemplating the idea of at the end of that time, asking for a 1 cent a word raise to 9 cents a word. However, I am worried that she might think I am being too greedy and lose interest in me. Any advice on this? many thanks, Steve

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Hi, Steve -

As a copywriter, I don't like to charge by the word, for a couple of reasons. First, I've found that clients have a hard time conceptualizing what a per-word rate is going to work out to over a whole project. I specialize in high-end work like white papers and case studies, and if I gave them a per-word rate, they'd run away screaming. I think there's also a fear for some clients (especially on the lower-paying end) that you're going to pad your word count in order to make more money. I prefer to charge by the project -- saying "This white paper will cost $X" is much easier and less scary to clients than "This white paper will cost $X per word, and that word count can vary greatly depending on what we put in."

That said, I personally feel like you're already charging too little. At 8 cents/word, that's about $40 per 500 words - about the size of an average blog post. I like to see new writers charge at least $50 an hour - that's about the rate that you start being able to keep up with both your bills and your taxes, healthcare, and other overhead. So if you can write 500 words in an hour, I'd ballpark that at $50 (or at least 10 cents/word, if that's how you're best able to think of it).

Now, back to your current client. The first thing to be aware of is that not all clients will budge on a rate - but I'm thinking that your rapport with this client will help. The good news is that it's nearing the end of the year, and that's a great time to tell clients something like, "I've really enjoyed working with you, and just want you to be aware that as of January I'll be raising my rates to $X." Because we're in the third quarter, businesses are looking ahead to next year's finances, and telling them now that you'll be raising your rates helps soften the blow and get them prepared for the raise.

Finally: Don't ever be afraid to ask for a raise, and always be marketing and looking for bigger clients that can and will pay more. As freelancers, we can't ask for a yearly review and get a standard raise - we have to give ourselves that raise. Marketing and moving up to bigger clients is how we make that happen.

Last edited:

stking

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Angie for taking the time to give me that excellent reply! I think I will wait until the project is over--maybe next March---and then ask for the penny a word raise. I don't think I could be accused of being greedy doing that. Thank you so much again!

Steve :)

NickIandolo

A Living Synecdoche
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tenthsphere.com
Hey Everyone,

So I just got a voicemail from the owner & publisher of the magazine that I was talking about in my original post.

This is the magazine where he'll pay $25 whether you write a 500 word article for the print-zine or, in my case last year, a 12,000 word article for the webzine.

I had already gracefully declined the job (2 jobs actually: a pre-comic con preview article, and then a full on comic con coverage) with his editor (or my editor from the freelance writer's perspective).

However, now he's called me personally to find out why I'm not covering comic con this year for the magazine. He said he was incredulous as to why I wouldn't cover it since I'm such a comic con fanatic and loved doing it every year.

I've done the Rhode Island one since the very first in 2012 but I'm just so tired of getting paid $25 for thousands of words and epic hours of coverage.

For example, last year RI Comic Con was 3 days. I was there from beginning to end all three days walking around non-stop across multiple convention venues talking to everyone: the organizers, the celebrities, the vendors, the artists, the fans, and the cosplayers—everyone! And then I wrote a 12,000 word article. All for $25.

The only thing that was comped was my parking (for the first time, in years past I had to pay myself sometime $20 a day to park).

No food was comped, which I was okay with. No transportation was comped, which I was also okay with.

But after years of doing all this work—and you all know as well as I do that with covering an event the doesn't stop there; there's tons of research afterwards, follow-ups, and the actual hours of physical writing that go into an article.

I don't want to be ungrateful. Having access to the celebs and all the fun stuff (including the after party) is great, and I'm a total comic con lover (been to San Diego Comic-Con 3 years in a row!), but I feel like I'm getting too old to write for peanuts with this event.

How do I gracefully tell this guy, who is a friend of mine, that I just can't do it anymore?

We've already discussed a pay raise many times over the years and he's said, "no, no, no."

So at this point I'm willing to give up the Comic Con beat and hand it over to someone else, which will probably end my working relationship with this magazine.

I don't want to hurt his feelings but I really don't want to write up another epic coverage of comic con (even for one day) for $25.

Am I in the wrong here? Should I just suck it up and do him a favor?

Would love your thoughts on how to let him down easy because he really is a nice guy and his magazine is a really great publication.

Thanks!
Nick

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Well, the editor is realizing that the joy of doing it is not actually compensation. I think you are being entirely polite in asking for a raise, and declining when not receiving it.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Do it if you think the benefits (meeting cool people, the after party, etc) are worth working basically for free. Hell, it sounds like an experience a lot of people would pay for.

But do not do it as a favour. On normal freelancer rates, you'd be getting paid thousands of dollars for this, seriously. And that's just for the writing without having to actually be there. He's making money from the magazine, right? If so, then he should be able to pay his writers. Sounds like he's the one who should do you a favour and pay for food or parking or whatever.

Put it this way: would you pay thousands of dollars to have the experience you get? If not, then I do believe you're seriously devaluing yourself. And its easy to fall victim to "nice guy syndrome". Many, many businesses only seem to be able to function because they latch onto these nice people are bleed them dry when they should be paying them.

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
My only advice is to reject it again in a professional manner. After all, you are not contractually obligated to accept the assignment.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
"No" is a complete sentence. Quite often by attempting to gracefully decline you can make yourself sound reluctant. It sounds like the owner/publisher would seize on any reluctance and keep pestering you, so I'd be as upfront as possible.

A simple "No, thank you" makes it clear you're not looking to negotiate.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I agree with the others.

You can also remind him of WHY you can't do it - "No, sorry, I'm trying to build a career and can't afford to do such a big job for so little pay."

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, if you are declining I tend to agree with EMaree. Just say "No" or "No, thank you." and move on. Any attempt to add to that for whatever reason (easing the blow, justification, etc.) will diminish the message.

Like he said - it's a complete sentence and thus completely acceptable. Short sidebar, did you know that's the shortest sentence in the English language?

The shortest sentence in the Bible: Jesus wept.

Back to your regularly scheduled surfdom

NickIandolo

A Living Synecdoche
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tenthsphere.com
Thanks Everyone for your advice!

I just left a message on his (the magazine publisher and owner) voice mail respectfully declining the job. I basically said that it was time for me to hand over the comic con beat to someone else as I really want to go as a fan, which I've never been able to do.

I thanked him profusely for giving me to opportunity to cover the event for the magazine and wished them all the best of luck.

Hopefully that will be okay.

I hate to burn a bridge but I just feel that after 4 years of doing this for really no money (it ends up costing me money in the end!), my heart's not in it anymore—even if Stan Lee is going to be there tomorrow!

And I agree with RightHoJeevs, "On normal freelancer rates, you'd be getting paid thousands of dollars for this, seriously."

He's right, especially after the 4-day coverage of San Diego Comic-Con in 2012 (which cost me thousands of dollars to attend and he only paid me $100 for 4 articles daily $25 per article, and nothing more), and the 3-day coverage for Rhode Island Comic Con in 2015 where he wouldn't let me do a 3-article coverage, it all had to be in one article for a scant
$25 which topped out at 12,000 words, that's right twelve thousand words!

And still it cost me money in transportation and food to cover Rhode Island Comic Con 2015.

It's just not worth it to me anymore.

And it's true, I really, really just want to go to next comic con (probably San Diego next year) now as a fan, and someday as an artist at my own table promoting my own sci-fi/fantasy books.

Now I feel a little guilty but also relieved.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Good for you.

And look, if politely declining to do thousands of dollars of work for free constitutes "burning a bridge"... well that honestly sounds like a bridge you can do without. There is no reason to feel guilty. I'm sure the guy was nice and the magazine is good, but the fact is you were giving him thousands of dollars of free labour.

To put into perspective: I do most of my work through a graphic designer, who on-sells me to his clients who are getting new websites. He sometimes gets me to do blog posts, and I do them cheap for him because he brings me in good paying work.

For his blog posts, I spent probably 20 minutes expanding bullet points he provides me into sentences and add a bit of colour and quirk. He pays me $50 each for those, and that's me doing cheap, easy work for like 20 minutes.

My point is don't devalue yourself. Part of being a freelancer/businessperson is knowing what your skills are worth, and not feeling guilty or like people are doing you a favour when they pay you what you're worth.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
Nick, I so commend you for putting your foot down. I wrote for one print magazine for over two years for meager pay. When I wrote to give notice, I sort of expected a call or an email back. Radio silence. I think my lesson is that if you undervalue your work, they will too. Lucie

Captivatedlife

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome job for being polite, respectful and willing to work towards what's best for you.

Good luck with everything

Wolfalisk

Registered
Reaction score
To quote Michael Corleone, "Money and friendship. Oil and water."

I will just gently add that people who abuse and don't fairly compensate labor are not good people, no matter how bolded the phrase might be.

Outertrial

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone for your advice!

I just left a message on his (the magazine publisher and owner) voice mail respectfully declining the job. I basically said that it was time for me to hand over the comic con beat to someone else as I really want to go as a fan, which I've never been able to do.

I thanked him profusely for giving me to opportunity to cover the event for the magazine and wished them all the best of luck.

Hopefully that will be okay.

I hate to burn a bridge but I just feel that after 4 years of doing this for really no money (it ends up costing me money in the end!), my heart's not in it anymore—even if Stan Lee is going to be there tomorrow!

And I agree with RightHoJeevs, "On normal freelancer rates, you'd be getting paid thousands of dollars for this, seriously."

He's right, especially after the 4-day coverage of San Diego Comic-Con in 2012 (which cost me thousands of dollars to attend and he only paid me $100 for 4 articles daily $25 per article, and nothing more), and the 3-day coverage for Rhode Island Comic Con in 2015 where he wouldn't let me do a 3-article coverage, it all had to be in one article for a scant
$25 which topped out at 12,000 words, that's right twelve thousand words!

And still it cost me money in transportation and food to cover Rhode Island Comic Con 2015.

It's just not worth it to me anymore.

And it's true, I really, really just want to go to next comic con (probably San Diego next year) now as a fan, and someday as an artist at my own table promoting my own sci-fi/fantasy books.

Now I feel a little guilty but also relieved.

If I were you I would just say that you need to earn a living and don't have enough spare time to work for nothing when you need to be earning money. This essentially is the truth.

You could politely say that if he can pay more then you can work for him but otherwise finding and doing paying jobs has to be your priority. If he doesn't understand that then he isn't much of a friend.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
This might be too late, but one thing you can do is talk to the magazine and explain that you would be willing to cover comic con and that you expect to be able to complete 10-15 articles on it. Every interview you do should be a separate article with the exception of perhaps combining interviews of different actors in the same series or same movie. Do the same for non-interviews: if you are writing about a movie that was previewed, the article should only be about the movie.

If he doesn't accept breaking the coverage into multiple articles, that is when you decline.

On a different note, you may want to avoid doing work for people you consider a friend if you have a difficult time telling them no. That's a black hole you don't want to go down.