How to get rid of OLD Apple laptop

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
My first laptop was an Apple Powerbook 520c, purchased about 1992-93. I still have it, but now want to get rid of it as part of a house decluttering.

I think several years ago I took it to an Apple dealer who transferred all the files on it to a couple of CDs, but I don't care about that anymore. I'm not worried about the laptop having any files on it that I don't want anyone to see.

It's a relic - what should I do with it? Just send it to a tech recycling center? Are there parts they can still use? Or will it just go to a landfill somewhere?

I guess I could offer it for free on craigslist but I can't imagine anyone would be interested in it.

ETA: looks like Best Buy will take it for free. There's a store nearby - maybe that's my best option. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global-Promotions/Recycling-Electronics/pcmcat149900050025.c?id=pcmcat149900050025

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Old Apple products generally go on ebay. If it still boots you can probably get a couple hundred bucks for it. If you don't want to bother, check the local licensed Apple dealer to see if they want it for parts.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like recycling is the only thing. Apple reseller store I called said it's too old to have any usable parts - it's 24 years old jeez I should know that. he said recyclers will strip off the plastics, the silicon, and other individual pieces so at least the whole thing won't be a block of junk in the landfill.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
If it boots, or has any viable parts, I'd deep format the drive and sell it on ebay.

Yes, it's actually a collector's item.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, I've seen old Apple computers being sold online for nearly as much as a new Microsoft PC. Definitely a collector's item, to some people at least.

That's where I'd start.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Ebay has 2 for sale, $250 each. I've only sold one thing on eBay, I think, and that was a long time ago, so I don't have a star rating. I'm going to follow that search and see if those 2 actually sell.

I don't want a bunch of hassle with it, but if I could sell it easily, that would be nice. It's got all the cords and stuff with it. I probably have the manual somewhere.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You can also search by sold items, to see what's actually sold already.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
You can always put an ad on Craigslist too. I'd ask at least 100.00 if it boots.