Back Burner Novels - Books We Haven't Gotten to Yet

BrumBall

Keep Right On
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I thought of another one:

For the most part, everyone ages normally until the age of eighteen. Once you turn eighteen, your looks/lifespan hinges on who you are as a person. A thoroughly evil bastard of a person will age very rapidly and die young, but a saintly person who spends their life taking care of those in need, can possibly live for centuries on end.

How about flipping this around so the more evil you are, the longer you live? Life is so precious to humans, it would be interesting to see how low people would sink to prolong their lives. It would be a good moral struggle too, characters not wanting to do bad things but having to to stay alive. And would good people attempt to help others knowing they would be shortening their own lives to do so?

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
That has the potential to be a great dark farce. Though you could also play with the whole good deeds idea. Are they doing good deeds out of genuine compassion or are they doing it out of a desire to look like a good person? Most would say that there’s a difference between those two kinds of good deeds, but would a good deed done for selfish reasons be equivalent to a deed that’s just plain terrible.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
I am writing two novels now (one alone, in my mother tongue, and one in English, with a Norwegian friend). When I finish the one in my mother tongue, which is Western, I have another trilogy planned, out of which I have about 80-90 pages written last year at NaNoWriMo. That is going to be about pirates.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Character X has lived a thoroughly ordinary life, until something happens, and they realizes that they are the linchpin of their reality. Everything that exists, comes from their imagination. When they leave an area, the people and places cease to exist until they return. What will Character X do with this knowledge?

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Sharper Image Erotica."

:roll:

Best description of Hard Science Fiction I've ever heard!

My back burner novel/novella prompts include:
The gods have died, as they do every few centuries. Mortals compete in various ways to take a place for themselves in the new pantheon. Thinking something along the lines of the Hunger games meets Olympic games, except not dystopian and participants don't necessarily die, they may become demi-gods, religious leaders, or as a runner up prize the counter deity (the Satan to the new god).

A therapist for sentient AI tries to help a robot that is having the existential crises "Do I really like my programmer or has the programmer programmed me to like them?" Started this once as an exercise to help improve my dialogue, it was a dialogue only piece.

There's a ban in the galaxy on developing hybrid cybernetic technology that relies on living tissue as a component of the robotic organism. A lab on a rather inhospitable planet is attempting to develop this technology, and is being investigated by officials of the galactic government. It's discovered that young women have been being used in experiments because the womb is the perfect place to power the computer portion of the cyborg. The hero/heroine falls for one of the cyborgs maybe?

A great American cowboy western, except instead of cattle or maybe horses they have dragons.

Middle aged mom of 3 keels over with a cerebral aneurysm. She awakens in an alternate reality created by changing one thing in her past; she went to the battle of the bands in high school and her band won, which launched her into stardom and the rock and roll lifestyle.

The apocalypse has happened except it's not war, plague, or global warming which has caused it, rather the addiction to technology has resulted in such massive dysfunction in humanity that survival is no longer tenable. OR Post apocalypse except all electricity/electronics are now gone, everyone trying to re-learn skills once given over to machines. Taking into consideration how that impacts other things in life like finance: most commerce is now electric or web-based. Maybe call it Farmageddon?

Write a serial about the nondescript tavern that seems to be the opening setting for every D&D campaign ever, told from the viewpoint of the inn-keeper.

flarue

Dreaming of Waltzes & Fantasy Lands
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still into my fantasy series at the moment, but I have ideas for:

- A possible YA book about a prince
- A twist on Beauty and The Beast
- Two or three separate time-travel stories

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
I had an idea about a world that was a blend of fantasy and the Wild Wild West, so basically a fantasy western, where magic is in the form of crystals that can be mined for energy/power/etc. So there's a huge "magic rush" happening and this gal and a group of friends go out west to seek fame and fortune. They end up building a mining town/community and encountering all kinds of problems in the meantime. There wouldn't be any "big bad", it'd mostly be the typical western, battling the elements/environment and overcoming the odds to hopefully strike it rich. Soooooo, yeah.

EmmaLoerick

Registered
Reaction score
I really wanna do a fictionalized story heavily inspired by the creation of the Princess Diana secret tapes. Basically (as I'm sure most people know), Princess Diana helped ghostwrite her own biography by recording tapes in which she confessed massively scandalous secrets about herself and the royal family (her eating disorder, Charles' affair, etc) while pretending to have nothing to do with the book. I read an interview with the writer of the book (Andrew Morton) in which he talked about how he felt he was living in an alternate universe because he suddenly knew all these secrets about Princess Diana that no one else did. Think that could be an interesting perspective for a novel.
Buuuut I have two WIPs so hopefully I'll get to it eventually.