Game: Your MC's Voice (NaNo 2016 version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
How to play the voice game: The first post will ask a question (in my character's voice, which I will now create :chair). The next author will answer that question in their character's voice, and then ask a new question, also in that character's voice. And it will go on.

I suggest putting the character's name at the beginning of your answer, just in case you play with multiple characters and the others playing are really following along.

If multiple people post before you do, don't stress about it. If you have a choice in questions that haven't been answered thanks to cross-posting, pick your favorite or answer a bunch.

Don't be afraid to have expansive answers to really get in your character's head and develop their motivations and emotions and even their storyline. It's okay if you don't have their voice down yet. The game's all about developing your character.

---

Hale: I'm always interested in what people are looking for in the next show. What'll entertain you?

Last edited:

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
---

Hale: I'm always interested in what people are looking for in the next show. What'll entertain you?

Baxter:

Frig, Sage! Thanks so much for starting this--I been dying to say a few things. :Hug2:

As for you Hale, I ain't a hundred percent clear on what "next show" means, but I'm guessing TV. My Ma is sucked into the boob-tube from morning till night, makes me kinda sick of the whole thing. I prefer music and a couple beers, but to answer ya, I'd like more shows with regular people like me. Why they always gotta be so glamorous and handsome? Yeah, yeah, I know . . . sex sells and whatever, but not everyone prefers all those Barbie and Ken people--I don't. I did get lucky with my baby, but not having a lot of takers over the years, (okay--none) anything was better than nothing.

I'm a cop, and I seen a few of those shows, but why bring work home, and half the time they're all stupid anyway--if only it was so easy and fast . . . but I know they ain't gonna focus on all the paperwork, which I'm lucky my partner does for me on account of me being dyslexic and all.

I also kinda think it's all been done too, same with books and movies--all the remakes they keep doing. I'm old enough to know the originals and it's rare when they're better, despite all the hocus pocus they can add now.

I'll say for the record, how 'bout a show that serializes some short stories, so it can be different week to week, kinda like The Twilight Zone, but with more variety. Would be like watching a bunch of indie movies, and I'd find that entertaining.

Anyhoo, you got me thinking--thanks Hale!

My question to you other characters out there:

When did you lose your virginity? If it was good, go 'head and elaborate, if it was bad, what do you wish you could change? And if you're too young to engage in such activities, how would you like it to be? (and if you're real young, go with Hale's question) :)

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
When did you lose your virginity? If it was good, go 'head and elaborate, if it was bad, what do you wish you could change? And if you're too young to engage in such activities, how would you like it to be? (and if you're real young, go with Hale's question) :)

Raine:

I ... um ... isn't that a little personal? :scared:But I'll answer because it's only fair.

Not that I've done anything like that, but if I did I imagine it would have happened a few months ago. Early spring, you know, when the fog rolls in early off the harbor. It would have been cold and I wouldn't have taken a certain infuriating someone's offer to keep warm so seriously. And it would have been the best thing that ever happened even though it was incredibly awkward and not at all what stories make it out to be. And afterwards that certain person might have showed a different side to themselves I never knew existed under all that bravado as they walked me home so I could climb back into my room before mom got up to bake her stock for the day.

At least, that's how I imagine this totally hypothetical event might have gone.

Now, in the interest of changing the subject:

If you knew this would be your last day alive, what would you like to have for dinner?

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Raine:

I ... um ... isn't that a little personal? :scared:But I'll answer because it's only fair.

Not that I've done anything like that, but if I did I imagine it would have happened a few months ago. Early spring, you know, when the fog rolls in early off the harbor. It would have been cold and I wouldn't have taken a certain infuriating someone's offer to keep warm so seriously. And it would have been the best thing that ever happened even though it was incredibly awkward and not at all what stories make it out to be. And afterwards that certain person might have showed a different side to themselves I never knew existed under all that bravado as they walked me home so I could climb back into my room before mom got up to bake her stock for the day.

At least, that's how I imagine this totally hypothetical event might have gone.

Now, in the interest of changing the subject:

If you knew this would be your last day alive, what would you like to have for dinner?

Baxter:

Frig, sorry about that Raine . . . we're just starting out here. Wasn't meant coz I needed to know, but your concerns are noted. I like your answer too. I'm hearing the awkward part. I guess I'm older than some of youse in here.

So my last meal would be beer and shots, lots of both, probably mixed with my tears coz I'm finally happy--I don't wanna frickin' die now . . . but if I was to, I'd hope my baby would be with me on the other side.

And: What was your most embarrassing moment? Or at least one of 'em. I know we all got those!

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hale: Okay, look, you have to understand that I was dying. Okay, I wasn't dying, but my arm was falling off. Because of a surgical knife. And an exploding bulkhead, not in that order. Anyway, there were some very powerful drugs I was on. So I called the commander "Dad." It's not like I really thought he was my father. It's just one of those things that haunts you. That and telling your future best friend that you've idolized him since you were five and maybe have a little crush on him. Again, serious druggage going on!

The other side of what?

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Baxter:

Hale, I feel like you're directing that to me, and your answer: Whatever the frig it is that happens when we leave here. I happen to think there's something. And yeah, I'm cool with agreeing to disagree on such a touchy one, but Jeeze, I'd probably off myself sooner if I didn't think there was something else. I finally got someone who loves me--with all my flaws, which are plenty! What a black hole all of it would be without my baby.

Your answer sounds real dramatic. I don't blame ya for saying, "Dad," but I get how awkward--I woulda said, "Pa." Even worse!

To the crush part, depending on the answer, Oh Jeeze--one of the worst. I wasn't brave enough to try none of that shit.

So here's another one, for you or whoever wants it:

MC, you've had plans to hang with a friend for two weeks, and it's a rare thing for you to hang, and now, another friend calls and says it's his/hers birthday . . . Whatta ya do? Mix the two? Who do you cancel? If you like, you didn't know shit about this sudden birthday!

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hale: Hey, hey, hey, don't off yourself! There are plenty of places to go if you leave your planet! I mean, I don't blame you for not wanting to think about the cosmos with all those black holes and stars and big black expanses....

I'm fine just got a little woozy there. Don't worry.

So, "hanging" with friends! This assumes that "hang" is slang for doing some sort of fun thing, I assume in an assuming manner. And that I have any other friends that aren't also Max's friends. Obviously, Max is going to take precedence. He probably wouldn't notice that I forgot that we were going to "hang" because he'd forget first, but if you can't count on your best friend for loyalty, who can you count on?

That's a good question there. Who can you count on in a pinch?

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Hale: Hey, hey, hey, don't off yourself! There are plenty of places to go if you leave your planet! I mean, I don't blame you for not wanting to think about the cosmos with all those black holes and stars and big black expanses....

I'm fine just got a little woozy there. Don't worry.

So, "hanging" with friends! This assumes that "hang" is slang for doing some sort of fun thing, I assume in an assuming manner. And that I have any other friends that aren't also Max's friends. Obviously, Max is going to take precedence. He probably wouldn't notice that I forgot that we were going to "hang" because he'd forget first, but if you can't count on your best friend for loyalty, who can you count on?

That's a good question there. Who can you count on in a pinch?

Baxter:

I'm excited to hear about these places! All you clever kids out there, making up worlds and shit . . . I live in the 80's, but heck, I'm trying all advancing here, and being more hip, wow and now--like my baby would say.

I'm lucky in the counting on category, at least lately, I got my baby, my partner, and our FBI agent Susan--I can depend on all of 'em, don't mean shit hasn't happened though . . . I got a bad one like your arm situation, well, not exactly, but a bad one. (He who shall not be named--okay, the writer won't let me tell.)

I'll add that my Ma would be useless.

I guess the question I mentioned is more "in real life." (Please don't ask me to do all those initials you kids do, takes me forever to figure IRL means all that. I ain't against the smileys though--so many great ones in here--KateSmash had an awesome one!) :hooray:

Alright, here's another:

Do you sleep easy? Do ya have nightmares or awesome dreams? Do you wake up all refreshed, or you feel like doin' your own offing of yourself? (If you do, I hope you don't--but ya are fiction, just saying.)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hale: Well, now I'm going to have a bunch of existential thoughts, thank you very much.

I've never been to The Eighties, and your dialect definitely is throwing me, but I'm trying! "Very trying," Max might say.

But sleeping's okay. Not that I'm one of those brainhanced that can see what's in other people's minds, but I bet my dreams are about like everyone else's. Some nightmares. Some good ones.

No offing, never. I think I got that one, at least. Maybe. Now I'm not so sure. Hold on while I search my CDR for a slang dictionary. Oh, initials, sorry. Cybernetic Database & Recorder. Is that better?

I take it you don't have one of those. How do you do find out information and watch shows without one?

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Hale: Well, now I'm going to have a bunch of existential thoughts, thank you very much.

I've never been to The Eighties, and your dialect definitely is throwing me, but I'm trying! "Very trying," Max might say.

But sleeping's okay. Not that I'm one of those brainhanced that can see what's in other people's minds, but I bet my dreams are about like everyone else's. Some nightmares. Some good ones.

No offing, never. I think I got that one, at least. Maybe. Now I'm not so sure. Hold on while I search my CDR for a slang dictionary. Oh, initials, sorry. Cybernetic Database & Recorder. Is that better?

I take it you don't have one of those. How do you do find out information and watch shows without one?

Good to hear there's no offing. Can't wait to hear more about brainhanced, coz I got no idea . . . and I thank you for explaining the CDR, coz that's a recordable CD, ain't it. I told ya where I'm from. You're obviously somewhere different, or advanced, and it sounds exciting.

I apologize for my dialect, but it is what it is . . . I can't help it--no one taught me nothing better, and then all the dyslexia on top of it, so there ya go. Good to hear you sleep normal too. I do, but my baby don't--he's always waking up screaming and scaring the shit out of my sleep.

So now another question, is it okay to ask where in frig you are? I'd be happy to direct questions that way, or to any of ya. Sorry to be so common with my world in which I live, but I'm loving all the indulgence here.

So I'll rephrase: Where and when is your world?

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Baxter:

Frig, sorry about that Raine . . . we're just starting out here. Wasn't meant coz I needed to know, but your concerns are noted. I like your answer too. I'm hearing the awkward part. I guess I'm older than some of youse in here.

It's fine. Just ... maybe no more of those kinds of questions?

Where and when is your world?

Here and now? If you want my complete address, the answer is no.

*sigh* I live in the lovely if boring town of Kyn Harbor on the southwest coast of Bresith. It's a six hour trip by train to Belac - global seat of The Sentinels of Order and ancestral home of Jodis, savior of the world. The year is 2172 Afterfall. We're about a week away from the Savior's Day festival, so if you want to visit, be prepared for everything to be closed.

Look, you two aren't making a whole lot of sense. And I'm guessing what I just said doesn't make much sense to you either. But holidays are universal right? So tell me about you favorite of your culture's holidays.

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
But holidays are universal right? So tell me about you favorite of your culture's holidays.

Soufflé: Universal for Nobles, maybe. Who wants to take a day off anyway? All that means is a day when ma's shop goes from making 'almost nothing' to 'actually nothing'. But the Nobles have a bunch of the things. They're always declaring random days of the year 'Apple Day' or 'Fried Food Day' or whatever. The only one I bother remembering is Beef Day because that's seriously the only day we come anywhere close to turning a nice profit.

Speaking of: what's your favorite meat dish? Maybe I'll add it to my menu.

Last edited:

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Vegas: Bacon.

But not that synthetic crap. I mean the real thing, I mean the stuff that comes from the pig itself (although don't ask me how). The stuff that'll cost you an arm and a leg unless you "know a guy".

Reminds me of the time we were in the safehouse in the SSE (Southern Semi-Equatorial, I didn't know what it was either) and Mickey went off on a supply run and came back with nothing but bacon. Like, a whole jeep full of the stuff! Sig went crazy, until he found out how much it cost. Mickey had virtually robbed the guy, and no one knows how. Now whenever we need supplies we send Mickey, and she's probably fleeced half of Noah by now.

That was the first time I tasted bacon. Real bacon, anyway. The grease and fat was so thick I thought I was gonna be sick, but it's the best damn thing I've ever tasted.

While we're strolling down memory lane, why don't you share some of yours. You've got a fond memory, right?

And yes, I know bacon isn't a meat dish as such, but who cares?

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Vegas: Bacon.

While we're strolling down memory lane, why don't you share some of yours. You've got a fond memory, right?

And yes, I know bacon isn't a meat dish as such, but who cares?

Baxter:

Good to meet you, Vegas, and I'm pretty fond of bacon myself!

I ain't got a lot of happy memories, even the best one is mixed. When I was 13 my Pa died, which was sad, but it made the popular kid in school suddenly notice me. I felt popular for the first time, but it all went to shit. I'll spare ya all the details of that. Some things you don't gotta know.

But I like the question and I'll pass it on.

Who else has a good memory they want to share?

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Nick: Good memory. Huh. I guess I've been too busy to think about it. Graduating college was pretty good, even though it took me an extra year. At least the ceremony itself was full of the usual pomp and circumstance. Then this little girl fell off the back of the bleachers when I was standing directly below her. That one was scary. I almost missed the kid. But I caught her, and ended up falling on my ass with an armful of little girl. It was kind of funny--falling on my ass I mean. So, yeah. I guess graduation was a good memory.

Speaking of falling on my ass, What's a time you did something so clumsy it made you laugh at yourself?

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Nick: Good memory. Huh. I guess I've been too busy to think about it. Graduating college was pretty good, even though it took me an extra year. At least the ceremony itself was full of the usual pomp and circumstance. Then this little girl fell off the back of the bleachers when I was standing directly below her. That one was scary. I almost missed the kid. But I caught her, and ended up falling on my ass with an armful of little girl. It was kind of funny--falling on my ass I mean. So, yeah. I guess graduation was a good memory.

Speaking of falling on my ass, What's a time you did something so clumsy it made you laugh at yourself?

Baxter:

Welcome to the club, Nick. Pretty awesome, you catching that kid--I'm a cop and I got nothing like that. Mainly tickets, domestics, and disturbances for me.

And to your question, oh Jeeze, coz it would be a major spoiler alert, and I didn't laugh--I frickin' cried. What I'll tell all youse is I was at a murder scene and slipped in the blood, getting it all over me, and then, outta control with something (I ain't saying) I tracked all that shit all through the scene. Some cop. It was like I set myself up for doing the whole thing.

So, anybody else wanna add a lighter clumsy moment, please do so, it's in the rules you can pick your question, or more than one, but I'll think here . . .

Do ya have a family? Are they around? What was being with them like?

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Nick: I tell you, I have family like you wouldn't believe. Here in Indy, it's all on my Mother's side. My Grandmother was born in Ireland and she was an only child. When she moved to the states and got married, she made up for not having siblings by having five kids, all girls. They my aunts had kids and they're all girls too. I have sisters. It's all girls in this family, except me, and Dad, and Granddad. We are woefully outnumbered. But hey, being the only male child in an Irish Catholic family wasn't all bad. I always got a ton of loot for Christmas...hell, I still do.

Speaking of the holidays, how was your holiday season celebrated growing up?

Last edited:

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Nick: I tell you, I have family like you wouldn't believe. Here in Indy, it's all on my Mother's side. My Grandmother was born in Ireland and she was an only child. When she moved to the states and got married, she made up for not having siblings by having five kids, all girls. They my aunts had kids and they're all girls too. I have sisters. It's all girls in this family, except me, and Dad, and Granddad. We are woefully outnumbered. But hey, being the only male child in an Irish Catholic family wasn't all bad. I always got a ton of loot for Christmas...hell, I still do.

Speaking of the holidays, how was your holiday season celebrated growing up?

Baxter:

So, Nick, that make you some kind of alpha or the opposite, with all those chicks around? I'm an adopted only child myself.

To your question: In the beginning it was like normal. (you know, according to movies and all that) I got all kinds of shit. What I loved was the comic books. In my later years, like now, I get my Ma a Hummel and she gets me a Spiderman I been looking for. Works out great. Last Christmas was where I got my baby . . . sitting there on Christmas eve, drinking beers and getting seduced. Was real frickin' hard for me to believe, but I went with it. Now I'm happy as shit, coz yeah, I had nothing before. I finally got somebody who loves me. I never suspected it would ever happen for a fat shit like me.

And so, I'll throw this forward.

Where's your love life at? You got a crush? A significant other? How's it going?

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hale:

It wasn't so much a holiday season as a bunch of mangled-up holidays from every which planet you might imagine. Everyone's got their Founder's Day and their own seasonal festivities, but planets don't like to match up their seasons so well. Some are regulated, some not so much. Anyway, grow up in the system with a bunch of other kids from across the galaxy, and you have a holiday every day. So I'm not much of a holiday person.

But yours sound real nice, Nick. I've always been jealous of big families.

Anything bad about your family? Give me a reason not to be so jealous.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Nick: Now I'm the Jealous one, Baxter. I've tried dating on and off, but it never ends well. A woman can only put up with so many missed dates and late arrivals. It doesn't matter if the reason you're late is because you pulled a guy from a burning car, it just ends up being one more time you didn't show up.

Hale, the bad thing is it's all girls. It's all girls. Don't get me wrong, I love my cousins and my sisters, but how many conversations about hairspray and Aunt Flo can one guy listen to without going nuts?

And there's my question. What's one aspect of your life that makes you crazy?

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
What's one aspect of your life that makes you crazy?

Raine:

I don't know, Nick. I'd make an exception for a date being late because they saved someone. I'd be far angrier if they hadn't stopped to help, you know? So maybe don't pile all women together in your expectations?

But what drives me crazy? I ... well ... you didn't hear me say this, but The Order. Sometimes I think they're actively pushing further toward injustice and I'd like to give them a push back in the right direction but I'm not sure what I could even do to accomplish that because most people don't see anything wrong with restricting the lives of mages to a lifetime of captivity and ...

Wow. I've been spending too much time with Ferran.

Ahem. If you could change your world, what about it would you fix? (Or not. But I hope you'd fix it.)

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Raine:

Ahem. If you could change your world, what about it would you fix? (Or not. But I hope you'd fix it.)

Baxter:

I was hoping one of you people with a great world would take this one. Mine's just normal, and in the eighties. I don't know what would fix it, but I wish there wasn't so many lonely people. I used to be one. And them poor girls on the streets, all on drugs and selling themselves. How come no one loved them enough? How'd all this happen? And the homeless and blah . . . it goes on and on, I get to see lots of it.

But to end on a good note, I ain't lonely anymore, and I wish that for all. Someone, or ones, rooting for ya and caring, I'm thinking it could help.

Hope I got that right. Feel free to step in one of you awesome world builders and give us something entertaining instead of depressing.

Since I'm on the topic: Any of you get lonely?

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Nick: Yeah, I get lonely. Seems funny to get lonely with such a big family and a few good friends to boot. I try to date. I always try. It never works out for long. It's fine to say your girlfriend should excuse you for missing dates if you are saving people...I mean...it looks good on paper, right? But try being the girl whose date misses the prom, or being best man at your brother's wedding, or basically every single important moment in your life. Try being the woman whose friends and family refer to her boyfriend as "the mythical Nick," because they almost never see me. It's fine at first, sure. But then those absences start adding up. And a woman starts wondering why she is dating someone who isn't around for the important stuff...the good stuff. Then they start wondering if I'll miss more important stuff, like the wedding, or the birth of our child. I really don't blame them for realizing they've had enough of dating the invisible man. I'll still try...I mean...that's what I do, right? I try every damn day.

Any of you guys have kids? If you do, what are you proud of them or disappointed in them for?

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Baxter:

I can relate Nick, okay, a little anyway, when police matters get in the way of plans. It happens. And I was wondering about you with all those girls and women around too.

I ain't got kids, and I'm thinking the others don't, but don't let me speak for any of ya--correct me if I'm wrong. Happens all the time!

I'm content just to have my baby. But in the spirit of all this rescuing . . .

Do you find yourself a magnet for trouble?

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Nick: Huh. I guess I never saw myself as a magnet for trouble. I mean, chances are if you're hanging out with me, nothing's going to happen to you. None of my friends or family avoid me because I'm some sort of jinx. It's more like we'll be hanging out, and you'll ask me to run to the store to get some more brews. Then I never make it back because I get to the store right after some dude got shot and I'm calling 911 and doing first aid. Instead of trouble coming to me, I seem wander out where it is.

When's a time you showed up just in time to help someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.