Game: Your MC's Voice (NaNo 2016 version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hale: Funny you should ask. See this cybernetic arm? That's all thanks to that bit of heroics I performed in the war. Our ship was hit and a bulkhead exploded, and it would have been Max's life. I threw myself at him, pushed him out of the way, and took the brunt of the force. Lost my arm because of it.

He's always saying that it's a better arm than the one I had, but it's not my arm, you know?

On the other hand--or the one I still have, I guess--all I have to do to get my way with him is point to this phony arm.

Ever do anything you know is a bit manipulative, even if it's for the right reasons?

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Hale: Funny you should ask. See this cybernetic arm? That's all thanks to that bit of heroics I performed in the war. Our ship was hit and a bulkhead exploded, and it would have been Max's life. I threw myself at him, pushed him out of the way, and took the brunt of the force. Lost my arm because of it.

He's always saying that it's a better arm than the one I had, but it's not my arm, you know?

On the other hand--or the one I still have, I guess--all I have to do to get my way with him is point to this phony arm.

Ever do anything you know is a bit manipulative, even if it's for the right reasons?

Baxter:

Hale, I wanna hear more about this arm of yours, and all these heroics in here--to be admired. Frig 'em if they can't wait for ice cream, Nick. You do you! Ya sound like a superhero, which comics . . . I'm a fan.

Anyway, I'm a frickin' cop so of course I do that manipulative stuff, and not even a bit, for example, me and my partner come on a scene, we are shouting them down and shaking 'em up. It's what they trained us to do, and yeah, to you people it might come off harsh, but it's just a job. I ain't no bad cop, despite my ways.

And the question (wink): Do you have a special ability? What do you use it for? How does it manifest? Say whatever you like about it.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Sankichi:

Excuse me, I thought that maybe I could join in… seeing that it’s become so quiet…

Forgive me, please, if it’s not my place to speak – after all, I don’t know a lot of things you’re talking about, birthdays or shows, or even meat dishes, for example, as in Japan (the year 1886, according to your calendar) it’s mostly rich, educated people who eat meat, and I’m neither. As I said, I probably don’t belong here. Tocotin told me it’s for my own good if I play too, but if you don’t want to talk to me, I’ll certainly understand. Just don’t mind me.

Some of those questions made my head spin. Take this “manipulative for the right reasons” thing. Do you mean that influencing others to do what you want, is wrong? But that’s the only way! You see, I’m only half Japanese, and it shows, and not in a good way. My grandmother used to lament: “Just look at him, all the ugliness from the father, no beauty from the mother, and the squint from the devil!” What am I supposed to do, when I have no money, no education, and not even good looks? I’m just a brothel drudge, the lowest in hierarchy, far from irreplaceable – if I don’t please the right people, I’ll get kicked out, if not worse. You may think it’s easy, but I have to maneuver the ladies, the guests, and the other servants, and some other folks from the outside… I wish I could keep a ledger and write down what I’d said to whom, it gets downright confusing sometimes.

Yes, I said ledger, I can read and write, you know? I have two years of school. But as for special abilities Mr. Baxter mentioned, I don’t have any, nothing to talk about in polite company – I’ll tell you some other time, if you wish – unless you count speaking French… do you? It’s very rare in Japan, especially if you are in the underclass like me. But this whole French thing has always brought me nothing but trouble.

So… if you don’t mean me asking, what do you look like?

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
(Athena)

I'm really glad you said something, because I thought it was just me, but that pause was awkward, right? I mean, I almost said something, but then maybe it was just me...

Anyway, speaking French and keeping books? Those are totally almost super powers. One of my brothers put in new bookkeeping software at the diner, and it's so complicated we have to call him all the time to ask him to make it work. Dad's totally given up on it and uses the old system anyway, but he doesn't want to tell him, so we just put all the numbers in after the dinner rush.

You asked a question, right? What I look like? Human. Female human? Specifically what I look like? Most people would just say little, I guess. I look like a kid, even though I'm going to be a junior in high school. Other than that, the only interesting thing about me is that I look just a little bit like this actress who used to be on TV. She was totally my hero when I was a kid, but that's kind of awful now, because she's a hot mess, and people still remembered how I had her face on my notebook and my birthday cake, and all that kind of stuff.

It's really nice to just have a chat. My best friend is across the country right now, and face time isn't enough to make up for it. Who's your best friend?

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Who's your best friend?

Raine:

Is it just as embarrassing to answer with "my mother" in all of your strange worlds as it is mine? I'm guessing it is.

So barring Mom, the person I'm closest with would be Linley Cole. She's another member of my initiate class and the only person who doesn't seem to mind my ... family history. In fact, she's a little enthusiastic about it. Some days I think she only made friendly with me in order to meet Mom. And then keeps looking at me like she's expecting me to morph into my mother and do something heroic any day now. As if I'm more of a ideal than a person and every day I'm not saving the world - from what I'll never know - is another day that ends in disappointment.

I'm not being fair. I love Linley. It's just hard to live up to the version of me she's imagined up for herself, you know? I think about how badly it'd crush her if she learned about ... *coughs politely*

No. No. I'm not going to dwell on this again. So I pass it on you one of you. Are you keeping a secret? One that could destroy your relationships or your life maybe?

Last edited:

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Raine:

Are you keeping a secret? One that could destroy your relationships or your life maybe?

Baxter:

Man am I relieved to see some others in here--I was starting to feel like a thread killer!

Sankichi, wow, pretty cool you can roll in here with the situation you got going on!

Athena, just wondering, who was this actress? A real one, or one from your world. So far we might be the most "normal world" ones in here . . .

And Raine, oh boy, you went for it, the "secret" question, coz I got a big one, especially for the 80's, but yeah, I'm gay. There I said it. I got blind-sided by this little fucker, who is gorgeous and was digging on a fat shit cop like me, so yeah, I went for it, and I got no regrets. I was the loneliest of the lonelys (<--is that the right plural) before him, but I ain't gonna say nothing more about it.

I wanna make my question, Are you surprised, but no, just kidding.

What's the biggest obstacle you face, in your world or in your life?

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
What's the biggest obstacle you face, in your world or in your life?

Tiffany:

So, like, this one time I went to New York to get this super cool Chanel purse that was totally my style, but they didn't have the color I wanted. I mean, that's criminal. I almost called the police, but because I'm such a nice person I decided to hold back. The dumb worker (who, let me tell you, looked like the before picture of an acne commercial) tried to offer me this color that was similar, and I was like "No." I did what any normal customer would do and hopped in my limo and went to the other Chanel store, which was honestly tiresome because I had just gotten a manicure and didn't want to do anything that could ruin it. Of course, I ended up hating the original color I wanted and getting the other color that the worker at the other store suggested. Oops. Oh, and there's like a serial killer on the loose where I live that's trying to kill me, so that's definitely a close second.

Worst dream you've ever had?

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
Baxter:
Athena, just wondering, who was this actress? A real one, or one from your world. So far we might be the most "normal world" ones in here . . .

I can't say, because, well, I signed an NDA. Everyone said that's totally normal, at least for other things, so I guess I can't say until the next time someone mentions it? Considering I'm from the here and now, my life is totally not what I'd call "normal" right now...

Worst dream you've ever had?

Tiffany, you sound so much like someone I sort of know. It's a little creepy. She'd totally feel you on the purse thing.

I don't know if I can name THE worst, but when my mom was sick I had really crazy dreams all the time. She had breast cancer and we were all crazy scared, but the dreams weren't about her being sick or anything. They were all weird, abstract dreams, about going out to the beach and getting stuck in the sand and knowing the tide was going to come in, or working my waitress shift and knowing that I hadn't put any of the tickets in and waiting for everyone to realize it was all messed up. Basically, I spent months dreaming about being helpless and waiting for terrible things to happen...

Whatever, that was a few years ago. My mom is okay now, because she's so badass and had awesome doctors. Let's talk about something more cheerful (please?) What would your perfect day be like?

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
I can't say, because, well, I signed an NDA. Everyone said that's totally normal, at least for other things, so I guess I can't say until the next time someone mentions it? Considering I'm from the here and now, my life is totally not what I'd call "normal" right now...

Baxter:

Hey Athena, thanks for answering. So, NDA? No Disclosure Agreement? I'm thinking I know who's making ya not say!

And Tiffany, you just gonna tease us about this serial killer--I get it that you might. I see how touchy it is in here, revealing all these secrets about our worlds, and selves, and blah.

What would your perfect day be like?

I can't do a be like. My perfect day was the one I realized how frickin' gay I was, and Frig, how lucky I was this kid seduced the shit out of me. Was liberating.

So I'm thinking about flowers and rainbows and hoping for a good question.

Never mind.

What's something that drives you crazy?

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Wren:

I've been lurking in this thread, reading all the responses. I don't usually get involved in these types of conversations, but I'm waiting for a computer analysis of my coding to finish running so figured I'd join in, just this once.

I hate waiting. That's something that drives me crazy. It's why I'm on this forum in the first place. What I hate most is when I'm waiting to meet someone and they arrive late, or not at all. It's rude. Like the asshole who stood me up on the weekend. I waited half an hour for him before I decided to move on with my life. I called Tasha and she met me at the Tower Bar for dinner and drinks before we headed home, wasted. I know what the asshole got up to, thanks to Tasha's morning ritual of checking the celebrity gossip. His loss.

Which brings me to my question: What is it you look for in a romantic partner?

OliverCrown

Puttin' daydreams to paper
Registered
Reaction score
Delta City, where nothing's normal but the music
Website
www.olivercrown.com
Wren:

Simone:

This is why I smoke Clove cigs. Pierce was such a god in high school. He was smooth. Not big. Suave, dressed well and should have been a fashion model. And he smoked cloves. Not a total man-splaining penis-carrier like most of the men I see now.

I want a man. A real man.

He has to be easy on the eyes, but not prettier than me. I'm the girl, dammit. And he has to share. I don't want some douche who can talk my ears off about some blitz ball or some bullshit, but can't reveal his feelings because "it would make him look like a chick." So tired of that drama. Sharing your heart is strength, not a weakness. Match a shirt. Cook a meal. Well. And grills don't count; I'm a vegetarian and I don't want some brain box reading "fifty shades of salad" thinking he can seduce me.

Read a book. Read a library. James Joyce is not rapper. Quote "Sinners in the Hand of an Angry God" by Jonathan Edwards.

And on the subject of music? Don't try to convince me some retro-rock drummer is "the greatest in a generation." Tupac? Is what batteries come in. He must know Mendelssohn. Brahms. Liszt. And not that "Hooked on Classics" schlock either.

Give me wine and cheese. Flowers. Talk to all of my senses. Give me my space when I want to lurk in my laboratory. Clean after yourself. Keep up with current events. Speak intelligently about political events. Give me your honest opinion about the proposed measure on making humans who chose to have cybernetic implants a protected class. I may not agree with you, but you have to share your personal truth. Aggressive honesty is my policy. Anything you think I might want to know? You are required to share.

I'm not your typical blonde. I'm a Neurophysicist with doctorates in Applied Plasmatics and Particle Physics. I dabble in synaptic micro-tracks as a hobby. Don't be afraid to date a brain. Yes I live in the suburbs of Chicago and have no interest in moving for "color" nor do I want to live in an "up and coming" neighborhood. Don't even try.

Be a pure flesh and bone man. No cybernetic attachments. No implants to download factoids.

One last thing I look for. You need to rock me so hard I think about it for days. I need to know I'm your woman. The one and only. I should be breathless when you're done and my Hitachi will be stripped for spare parts.

I want what I want.

So let me ask you this. Why in the hell are you different? Why should I care about you?

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
(Switching characters because switching projects. I do that. Sorry. (At least this character is less of a wet blanket.))

Why in the hell are you different? Why should I care about you?

Jessia:

I don't care if you care about me. And, from the sound of it, it'd be impossible anyway. Do you hold yourself to those same high standards, sweetheart? Somehow I doubt it.

Look, I can respect that you know what you want. And there's nothing wrong with being a little picky. But this insistence that someone fits in this teeny tiny little intellectual fantasy box you've got? Yeah. That person doesn't exist. And the people that'd be close enough to be better than perfect would be so put off by your laundry list of requirements.

And the whole pure human shit? You sound like you're from one of the breakaway colonies or one of those cults that are so out of touch with reality. You know, the "let's worship an ancient version of Earth that never existed because simpler times" weirdos. Like how do you people function in the greater galaxy?

Relax a little, yeah? Life isn't that serious.

In fact, I'll open that up to everyone. What do you do to relax?

OliverCrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.olivercrown.com

Simone:

Maybe I should put down the cig. I guess that was a bit of a list. Dad taught me either you demand or you settle. He settled. Hard. I saw it destroy him.

I. Will. Not. Settle.

It’s cost me friends and maximized my demand as a cyber larcenist. So, yes. I demand. And it’s not like it hasn’t cost me.

Relax? Right. I have too many security systems to defeat, clients to call back and repairs to do. I used to relax with friends . . . when I had them.

Maybe I need to take a breath.

I played cello in high school. I don’t’ know why. My friend, when I had one, said I was good. She told me to keep at it. I had more important things to do at the time, like electromagnetic field study or making small EMP grenades.

But the strings . . . they represent harmony. I need that balance. But I don’t have the time or the luxury.

I always seem to make a bad first impression. Let me try again; I’ll try to be less caustic.

Who is the most important person in your life?

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
Wren:

Wow, Simone, looks like I touched a nerve. I think Jessia's right, you need to relax. I find alcohol helps. Just make sure you never drink alone. ;)

I'm not sure I should answer the above question you posed, since I don't know who may be monitoring this website – this is a public forum after all. All I can say is the person who is most important to me is someone I never expected to fall for, but I did – against my better judgement. It's someone most people don't know I associate with, and I'd like to keep it that way. Any more than that and the information could be used against me, and him.

I wasn't always such a private person, in fact I used to be a bit of a social whore. Pulling back from my old life has become necessary, though I find it a struggle sometimes. I'm more careful now, mostly because my mother became a senator and the rest of us, that is her family, became a target thanks to the laws she gave her support to. I can't say I disagreed with her reasoning initially, but I'm suffering the consequences, in more way than one. Although not as badly as my older brother - he tried a military coup and lost, and now he's in hiding with a group of rebels. I'm not sure what my father would think of the complete implosion of our family if he was still alive.

Are you close to your family members? Why/why not?

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Baxer:

Turns out I'm gonna get retired, but I had a few more things to say. (yeah, Kate, a character switch)

Wren:

I never looked for it, I thought is was impossible, but yeah, them assholes being all late and ignoring . . . I feel ya on that!

Simone:

I want what I want.

So let me ask you this. Why in the hell are you different? Why should I care about you?

Ya sound smart in your job. That's safe to say, ain't it? As for the "gotta be this" I ain't had that luxury, so I guess, good for you!

To your question, it's why I been quiet, coz I feel like people ain't liking me. I don't know how to convince you, or anyone.

(Switching characters because switching projects. I do that. Sorry. (At least this character is less of a wet blanket.))

Jessia:

Mmm, yeah, I kinda agree, yet I told ya I never even thought about being picky! Good to meet ya Jessia. More later on your question.

Simone:

Maybe I should put down the cig. I guess that was a bit of a list. Dad taught me either you demand or you settle. He settled. Hard. I saw it destroy him.

I. Will. Not. Settle.

I played cello in high school.

But the strings . . . they represent harmony. I need that balance. But I don’t have the time or the luxury.

I always seem to make a bad first impression. Let me try again; I’ll try to be less caustic.

I love the cello, such a beautiful sound, and frig it, do you! Be whoever you are. I'd love more back and forth in here, ain't that what this is about, developing our voices. It's why I'm, sniff, adding my final thoughts . . .

Wren:

Wow, Simone, looks like I touched a nerve. I think Jessia's right, you need to relax. I find alcohol helps. Just make sure you never drink alone. ;)

This all sounds really interesting, and I just wanna say, a couple beers go a long way to a restful nights sleep.

Now you all get to meet her, the one who's taking over . . .

Agent Logan, but call me Susan:

I wanted this question because I've been thinking about it for hours. Tough to answer. I do know Baxter, and as much as I love him . . . if he says my baby one more time I will puke. Yes, I'm happy for him, I'm happy for both of them, but it's miserable to be around their honeymoon stage.

I think the only one who qualifies for most important is my deputy director. He's believing in me on my first case. I thought for sure I was going to be yanked once murder got involved.

I'll take this one too. I do follow the rules. My father was a therapist, my sister ended up being a lesbian ( a shock, yes, but I'm happy I got an intro into the whole gay concept ) and my mother . . . my father controlled us all, and I do resent being seen as a slut when I was a virgin until 23. No one and nothing was good enough for him.

My question, and I confess, this is new to me, but are you all like me? Does it drive you crazy being around people who are madly in love?

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Does it drive you crazy being around people who are madly in love?

Jessia:

Nope.

So full disclosure, I'm 17. Everyone around me - the few my own age anyway - are all about pairing up for actual relationships. It's fascinating watching people so full of passion. A little sweet, a little confusing. I mean, they'll say they love each other, but from the outside it just looks like lust. I'm not sure I can tell the difference. I'm not sure they can feel the difference.

Ehm, not that I would know. Like? Sure. Lust? Big time. Love? Eh ... I don't think I've ever felt it. I mean not the romantic kind anyway. I love all sorts of things. Sleeping, dancing, ships, that little vein that pops out of my father's forehead when he's trying not to yell. But hearts and shooting star level love?

I just don't think I get the whole love thing as a thing.

Would someone care to explain to me what the fuss about love is anyway?

OliverCrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.olivercrown.com
Jessia:

I just don't think I get the whole love thing as a thing.

Would someone care to explain to me what the fuss about love is anyway?

Simone:

Love. The fuss? It's so... releasing to discover the one person you know is into you. Sex isn't a requirement. No pressures. No boundaries. No compromises. No demands.

For some love is worth killing for.

Would you kill for love?

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
1-61:

Kill? I...I don't know. Love has shaped me, and I would do anything for the woman who showed it to me. But I don't think I could ever murder someone, especially not a human. When I was created, I was told that I exist to serve humanity. I understand now that I'm not beneath humanity, but need to walk beside them. Killing a human would go against everything I believe in.

Have you ever really believed in something, only to find out it's a lie?

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
1-61:

Have you ever really believed in something, only to find out it's a lie?

Susan:

Hi 1-61, what a great question. I had to go way back for an answer. My father is a therapist, and when I was young I was constantly amazed he knew everything I was up to. I thought it was magic, then I thought it was psychic . . . when I started dating was when I realized he was just analyzing me, and that's when he was always wrong!

Do you always have to be right, or can you agree to disagree?

OliverCrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.olivercrown.com
Susan:

Do you always have to be right, or can you agree to disagree?

Simone:

Sometimes. Only on opinions. Never on facts. If someone says the earth is round? They equal a dumbass. Someone thinks bright yellow is a poor choice for my stealth outfit? They can think that all they want. I chose the color. It facilitates the need.

Try to tell me an android should be a citizen? I don't know. Can I let that go? Doubt it. But I don't need to make you understand.

I . . . would want to. I need to be more user-friendly.

What about you? Do you need to be liked?

Last edited:

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
What about you? Do you need to be liked?

Sankichi:

Yes! Yes! Yes! I’d do anything to be liked – pretty much anything. You have it so easy when people like you. No beatings, no sleeping on the floor, food whenever you want, if you get sick, they’ll call a doctor for you. I once had such a good life, so I can tell you this: the only thing you need is to find favor with the right people, and never lose it. Pride? Integrity? Honesty? Oh, come on. Have you ever been truly, really hungry? These things aren’t edible.

You know, the folks I live with right now, they aren’t too fond of me. It may be that I’m just trying to please everyone, but honestly… For example, I’m always doing what the Mistress wants of me. I tell her what the servants are talking about, who made a dog-shaped charm to send the disliked guest away, who didn’t drink the plantain tea in the morning, harmless things like that. But once I ran into the Master screwing our young servant O Tomi. I didn’t breathe a word to the Mistress, but the Master seems to think I did, and since that day he’s been knocking me about real bad. I’d let him screw me if he wished – I know a thing or two – but he doesn’t fancy me that way or any way really, so I suppose I just need to make myself invisible to him for a while.

Do you have enemies, and why?

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score

Athena:

Sure, who doesn't, right? I mean, I have enemies, but normal-people kind of enemies. Then, I went cross-country, and I'm living this life now, and enemies? You would not believe. Frenemies, twitter beefs, and on top of all of that? Creepy super-fan stalker. I didn't know so many people could hate me. Her. Me-Her, but they do. What's crazier is that I don't even know these people. Most of them, she doesn't even know. People talk about how she is some total screw up, and that's totally true, I know that first hand, but then I look at how awful people can be, and I get it, you know?

I worry sometimes that this all just means I've lost perspective on real life, because I think she's maybe not so crazy... but I do know when school starts again, I'm really not going to care when the popular girls makes fun of me when they come to the diner.

Speaking of... What's for dinner?

OliverCrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.olivercrown.com
Sankichi:

Simone:

Enemies. By the truckload. Professional rivals, mostly. Some who don’t like my prickly nature. Hated by men in the business.

It’s a sexist world. They didn’t want a woman horning in on their territory. At first I brushed it off. Soon it grated. I made it personal. I wasn’t going to buckle to pressure. So I dropped out of the scene and adopted the name of Lemon. Everyone assumed I was a man. Contracts rolled in. I worked my way to the top, breaking eggs along the way.

Sore losers.

Now I command maximum compensation in Chicago.

They. Are. Furious.

Athena:

Speaking of... What's for dinner?

Simone:

When I have the chance, I pay for a well-prepared Italian cuisine experience. Caprese salad with pesto sauce. Gemelli with shrimp, arugula and feta. Cannoli. All flavors. Grappa.

I rarely have the time.

Now it’s mostly protein bars and fast food.

Ever play “dress up?”

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
1-61:

I would love to try on a dress, like Mildred wears. They're so beautiful. If I asked, I'm sure she would let me wear one, but I could never ask. Maybe I could try one on when she and Yle are out of the house...

Do you have any secrets?

OliverCrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.olivercrown.com
Simone:

Secrets. A multitude.

Professional secret. I'm a chick.
Personal one. I'm lonely.
Another work disclosure. Almost everything I needed to know about my craft came from my fascination with physics. Name another larcenist who can say that.

So how does someone regain your trust?

Status
Not open for further replies.