Lee Child on John D MacDonald

delb0y

Registered
Reaction score
This may have already been highlighted elsewhere and, if so, I apologise. But if you have half an hour spare this radio show is well worth listening to:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07x6j4n

John D MacDonald is one of my favourite writers, if not my favourite, but seems to fly well beneath the radar these days so it's great that Lee Child got the chance to discuss the great man and his work.

Cheers
Derek

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Echo this. MacDonald was one of the finest writers of clean, strong and effective narrative prose ever. And he was anything but facile. He deserves continuing reading interest, but it's not like he's been forgotten. His stuff is still widely in print.

caw

Joseph Schmol

shaken & stirred
Registered
Reaction score
I miss Travis McGee. And Meyer. And the great master.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the link to that - I really enjoyed it.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Travis McGee versus Jack Reacher...

If you've been to slip F18, then you're a real fan. If you named your boat the Busted Flush, you've gone overboard. If you realize that Sam Elliot was a better choice for Travis McGee than Tom Cruise was for Jack Reacher, then you're just plain smart. Okay, Rod Taylor was a good choice too, not sure about the Leonardo DiCaprio/Christian Bale/Womever choice for the one that died off.

Anyway, thanks for the link. It was pretty interesting to get Child's view on MacDonald, especially since I respect his opinion and enjoy both writer's works.

Jeff

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
True Travis McGee story: Around 30 years ago I get an evening phone call. No "hi, this is so and so". Just "what brand of gin does Travis McGee drink?". I answer and hang up. I recognized the voice on the other end. A few weeks later I was talking with her and asked what the deal was. She, her hubby, and another couple were having a difference of opinion. She knew that I would know.

MM