Got my very first rejection!

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
So today I got my first rejection. I didn't think I'd get one this soon, but honestly, I'm glad I did. It was a form response which I understand that is a standard practice. The only thing personalized was that the agent addressed me by my name, lol. I'm not sad or bitter. I'm actually pretty mellow about the whole thing, which surprised me was I thought I was going to start crying or get depressed about my first rejection. I've had a really rough year. I thought my first rejection would have been a cherry on the sundae to my impending emotional breakdown, but it wasn't. :)

I've sent out 7 queries. So 1 down, 6 more to go. Definitely a lot more after that.

MaggieMc

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on your first rejection!! Ok, would have been fab if the first had been a request, but still, I see a first rejection as a huge milestone! When I got mine I felt like I was step closer to feeling like a real writer : ) Gotta get the rejections to get to the offer!

Vidals

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm in good company, then. I got my first three weeks ago. At first I agreed with the reasons why they rejected my story but then a week later I started feeling sorry for myself and listened to those voices of doubt in my mind. I'm in the process of picking myself off from the floor and continuing with my current WIP. Hopefully soon I'll be able to go back to the one rejected and put into practice the suggestions made.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Yay, congrats! :snoopy:Now you have a chance of success you didn't before. Be brave and keep putting etches in the wall until you strike gold.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
MA, I sympathize with you. After accepting 5 books, my publisher rejected my 6th. Frankly, I was surprised. I was told it was a literary novel, not a romance novel, and that if I would consider rewriting it at a 5th grade reading level and add more sex, it would be considered for resubmission. I realize there are lots of reasons for rejection, but I wouldn't 't expect writing too well to be one of them. :)

Last edited:

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
Missus Akasha,

Just keep trying. I can't tell you the number of rejections that I have received since last May. I have way too many of them to keep track of. LOL!

When I had received my first rejection, it simply spurred me to continue.

A form rejection is fairly standard, I believe. I have received so many of them that I simply stop reading the rejection letter once I have read the line, "Unfortunately, blah blah blah." Haha!

-A.C. Graham

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Missus Akasha,

Just keep trying. I can't tell you the number of rejections that I have received since last May. I have way too many of them to keep track of. LOL!

When I had received my first rejection, it simply spurred me to continue.

A form rejection is fairly standard, I believe. I have received so many of them that I simply stop reading the rejection letter once I have read the line, "Unfortunately, blah blah blah." Haha!

-A.C. Graham

Or "Dear Author."

Then you know it's a rejection.

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, or a variation of that.

Honestly, I have yet to receive a personalized rejection letter. If I ever got one, I would make sure to reply to it. Nicely, of course. :)

Or "Dear Author."

Then you know it's a rejection.

Pegster

Girando e fuzzicando
Registered
Reaction score
I think they'd take me for a stalker if I replied, or a hard headed egotist, I dunno. I've gotten twelve rejects out of a field of fifty-ish, so far, and all have addressed me by name before the "unfortunately it's not a fit" or "not all out enthusiastic" or "not having that nuclear reaction I was hoping for." I took them for form letters and didn't reply, lest they take it for simpering. Maybe that's just me.

gbondoni

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on rejection number one! As mentioned above, it's a great sign. My first ever rejection came from a magazine, back when that particular mag only took paper subs. I still have it.

Manaia

Registered
Reaction score
Rejections absolutely suck, and I think it's awesome that you didn't have an emotional breakdown after receiving the first!

When I started this querying process in August, I was operating on the naive assumption that MY BOOK IS SO GREAT, THEY'RE GOING TO LOVE IT! I sent out queries in biweekly batches of 5 or fewer, and the rejections started to trickle in mid-October. So far I've received 10 rejections, and to be perfectly honest, I cried when I received the first one. Here are a few of the highlights: "I did not connect with the submitted material enough", "I'm just not drawn strongly enough to the concept of your story", "your work just didn’t resonate in the right way", "I'm not seeking to add material in that vein to my list", "the first chapter just didn’t pull me in as much as I had hoped" and "I don’t believe I’m the right person to represent it effectively".

The rejections were hard on my ego, but eventually my rational brain took over - someone who doesn't feel passionate about my work is NOT the right person to represent it! On the bright side, there were a few positive comments thrown into the rejection mix, e.g.: "I think you have an intriguing concept" and "there is much to admire in your work". I'm REALLY hoping these aren't standard form letter inclusions, so please don't burst my bubble if you know otherwise!

At the end of October, I received my first full request, followed by my first partial request 3 days later. Now I wait. Agonize. Hope.

Best of luck to you, I sincerely hope you receive some good news soon!

Oldborne

Registered
Reaction score
Your first step towards the goal. Let's hope it's not the first of many, and success is just another email away.

Reject

Registered
Reaction score
I got you all beat. Form rejection in 3 minutes. Personalized rejection in 9 minutes. Le sigh.

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
I got you all beat. Form rejection in 3 minutes. Personalized rejection in 9 minutes. Le sigh.

Wow... Those are really fast. My fastest rejection is two weeks.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
MA, congrats on the first rejection (a bit late)! You're in the club now.

I think they'd take me for a stalker if I replied, or a hard headed egotist, I dunno. I've gotten twelve rejects out of a field of fifty-ish, so far, and all have addressed me by name before the "unfortunately it's not a fit" or "not all out enthusiastic" or "not having that nuclear reaction I was hoping for." I took them for form letters and didn't reply, lest they take it for simpering. Maybe that's just me.

Pegster, most likely they all were form letters, so not replying was the right response. :) Addressing the author by name is not a sign of a personalized rejection; there's more to it than that and it will stand out when it happens (discussing your character by his/her name, pointing out a specific plot turn, etc.). I've only had a few of these but they are exciting to get (though not always pleasing).