French Translation help please.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
If this isn't the correct forum, I apologize.

I just need to ask someone to translate the following into French.

Just Breathe

and

He saved her. Now she'll save him.

I self published a book in English called Just Breathe and a French press offered to publish it in French, after translating for me. I just need to be able to get those 2 things translated, they'll handle the actual MS.

Thanks in advance.

Prince Anpiel

Registered
Reaction score
(I should note, I have been speaking French for several years, but am not a native speakers so anyone who is should feel free to correct me.)

Just is a bit of an odd one to translate directly. If you put it through Google Translate you would get <<juste,>> but that word refers more to things being proper. I assume you mean it more in the sense of "only," so a good translation for the first one could be <<Seullement Respirer.>>

And for the other, ,<<il l'a sauvé. Maintenant, elle va le sauver.>>

TheCuriousOne

Registered
Reaction score
Respire
Il l'a sauvée. Maintenant, c'est à elle de le sauver.

Reverse translation would be "Breathe" because there's no literal translation of "just breathe", really. In things like "just relax", we often just omit the "just".
And for the other segment, the reverse translation is "He saved her. Now, it's her turn to save him." because the "now" and the future tense of the verb doesn't sound right in French. But if you want to keep this, literally, it would be "Il l'a sauvée. Maintenant, elle le sauvera."

Hope it helps :)

Azurys

Registered
Reaction score
Also, I would like to had that be careful with who you sign your countract. I have a French Master Degree in Publishing and know several publishing houses. Some publishing houses are knows to scam people who want to be a writer and make them pay to have their work published (which is not very legal and accepted).

Just to warn you, here is basicaly how real publishing is France work:

If the publishing house really like your work and thinks they can win money on this, you will have an editor contract, which means that the publishing house pays EVERYTHING itself (translation, marketing, adds to make people interested in your work...) and you just have to work on the text.

If the publishing house says it likes you work but make you pay for even just a thing (correction, translation, adds and publicity to do yourself etc) it's an author contract and you are not seen as a real writer in the publishing world and it's considered a scam. Plus, the problem with those publishing houses is that because they made you pay for things, it's likely that they will not put enough money and energy into advertising for the publication of the book and it will be barelly selled and you will lost more money than gaining them and they will have no respect for your book or you, since they won money by making you pay and didn't do their job properly.
Please, be careful with scammers and so-called publishing houses in France. (I can give you names of professionnal real ones if you need.)

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Azurys, forgive me for entering this thread. And you, too, Vince524. I wrote a novel about the Cold War set in France during the early 1960s while stationed in Poitiers, France. I've been trying to find an agent or publisher in France that might want to pick the book up for translation and distribution in France and Europe. If either of you can offer suggestions, I would certainly appreciate the help. Thanks you.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Also, I would like to had that be careful with who you sign your countract. I have a French Master Degree in Publishing and know several publishing houses. Some publishing houses are knows to scam people who want to be a writer and make them pay to have their work published (which is not very legal and accepted).

Just to warn you, here is basicaly how real publishing is France work:

If the publishing house really like your work and thinks they can win money on this, you will have an editor contract, which means that the publishing house pays EVERYTHING itself (translation, marketing, adds to make people interested in your work...) and you just have to work on the text.

If the publishing house says it likes you work but make you pay for even just a thing (correction, translation, adds and publicity to do yourself etc) it's an author contract and you are not seen as a real writer in the publishing world and it's considered a scam. Plus, the problem with those publishing houses is that because they made you pay for things, it's likely that they will not put enough money and energy into advertising for the publication of the book and it will be barelly selled and you will lost more money than gaining them and they will have no respect for your book or you, since they won money by making you pay and didn't do their job properly.
Please, be careful with scammers and so-called publishing houses in France. (I can give you names of professionnal real ones if you need.)

They didn't charge anything.

Azurys, forgive me for entering this thread. And you, too, Vince524. I wrote a novel about the Cold War set in France during the early 1960s while stationed in Poitiers, France. I've been trying to find an agent or publisher in France that might want to pick the book up for translation and distribution in France and Europe. If either of you can offer suggestions, I would certainly appreciate the help. Thanks you.

I was contacted by a French fan who had read my book and thought it would work well with their catalogue. They mostly do romance, so I don't know if they'd take yours, but it's Juno Publishing.

I can't get on their link for their webpage on my work computer, probably because they have a lot of erotic novels. (Which surprised me as mine is more R rated at most.)