The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Liberties Press

space opera-popcorn lover!
    Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.

Liberties Press

This just in the Irish Times today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/bo...ipts-1.2824527

Publisher is requesting $100 from non-agented writers to submit to their slush pile. There are additional rumours of non-payment to staff and writers, and an unholy row going on on twitter.

Avoid, I think.

Www. Jozebedee.com
    @joz1812 - Twitter

Abendau's Heir - Inish Carraig - Sunset Over Abendau

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Maybe the Irish Arts Council should consider pulling their yearly funding from this publisher as well!

Mr O’Keeffe justified his proposal on the basis that a writer will receive a critical assessment of the manuscript and valuable feedback in return.

Hardly, I don't think any writer subbing was doing so to get a critique! Just wrong!!

There's this little gem from their Twitter account:

Liberties Press ‏@LibertiesPress Oct 7 @WritersMistakes Thanks. More heat, less light. Authors receive considered feedback on their work - which they currently pay agents for.
    So as well as charging a reading fee, they're spreading the myth that (legit) agents charge reading fees.

$100 to submit to their slush pile?

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHHhahahahahahahahh heeee....

Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.
    My Twitter
    My Blog
    My Facebook Page
    My Web Page
    My most recent release:

Final Frost

Tending bar by the litterbox. Thomas Vail's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaffiro View Post
    There's this little gem from their Twitter account:

So as well as charging a reading fee, they're spreading the myth that (legit) agents charge reading fees.
    Oh dear. They really seem to know nothing about nothing?

The people who fall for them know less than nothing.

Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at iCraft

space opera-popcorn lover!
    Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post
    The people who fall for them know less than nothing.
    i don't think it's a simple as that. As Ctripp said above, they're funded by the Irish arts council, which gives quite a bit of kudos in Ireland (arts funding is important to the arts scene). So, although you and I know you should pay a legitimate publisher nothing, not everyone does and they look for signs of legitimacy elsewhere. I think it's very significant that the Irish publishing body have spoken up in the linked article and the Irish Times covered it.

Www. Jozebedee.com
    @joz1812 - Twitter

Abendau's Heir - Inish Carraig - Sunset Over Abendau

Yeah. There's no point in insulting the victims. The fault here is clearly on the predator.
    My Twitter
    My Blog
    My Facebook Page
    My Web Page
    My most recent release:

Final Frost

Jo, yes, art council funding of publishers in Canada also here lends a feel of legitimacy. I've found over a number of emails back and forth with the council though, that they don't really care about how Authors are treated by the publishers, their mandate is to spend their budget and obviously receive a larger one the next year. That's all I could surmise from my interaction with them in any case
    If it's a very obvious vanity, they don't award the yearly funds, it's hard to convince them of basic wrong doing though. Still hope someone tries with the Irish council.

Now with more stubble VeryBigBeard's Avatar
    The Twitter feed is a really strong example in how not to manage a publicity problem on Twitter.

I'd avoid for that alone. I want my publisher to know when not to take the bait on social media.

If the outcry isn't going to result in changes, stop talking about it. There is nothing more to be said. Instead, most of the Liberties Press twitter feed is now justifications for reading fees and other broad and worrying claims about the future of publishing.
    Last edited by VeryBigBeard; 10-14-2016 at 06:37 AM.

And now there's this. They haven't been paying their authors advances/royalties due, and they haven't been paying their staff wages due.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/a...hors-1.2830332

And of course the owner is whining that calling him out on his unethical practices is a 'witch-hunt'.

He says he's sorry and is addressing the problem of not paying anyone.... and his solution is to get the money from new writers sending in manuscripts! Awful!!
    He will next blame these complaining Authors and employees for KILLING the press. When the funding dries up and disappears and he will turn it around to be the fault of those "greedy" Authors who went public, demanding to be paid. It will never be his fault, as the owner of the business... it just never is! Have seen this play out too many times and they never take responsibility.