• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Pacing trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here have any trouble with their pacing being too quick?

I recently scanned over an old book I wrote. While I like the scenes I have, and think those scenes individually are paced well enough, the whole book feels pretty rushed - I'm not sure how exactly to describe it, except that there doesn't seem to be a lot of room to breathe. Things keep happening.

Anyone who maybe encountered this, how did you go about fixing the problem? I don't want to add scenes just for the sake of adding scenes, and I don't necessarily want to slow down what I have too much, but I don't want the whole thing to feel like it's prepping for a train wreck. >.<

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
It could be a result of a number of factors, so without seeing it, I can only throw out possibilities.

Are the scenes filled with action in each? If so, you need some scenes that aren't so action packed.
Do you need transitions between scenes?
Do you need to make the sentences longer?
Do you need to flesh things out more?

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have that problem a lot. For me it was because my underlying story was weak/not sufficiently clear in my head.

InsomniaShark

Registered
Reaction score
Could the pacing seem too fast because you "scanned" the book instead of actually reading it? =/ Maybe you need a second opinion from a beta?

Does the book take place within a day or a few days, or is it a longer period over weeks or months? If it was over a day(s), I'd expect the pacing to feel faster. If it's taking place over weeks or months, maybe you just need to add a few sentences describing what happened in between scenes?

I've read some great books where THINGS seemed to happen non-stop, and the situation kept getting more dire. Just kept me from being able to put the books down.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here have any trouble with their pacing being too quick?

I recently scanned over an old book I wrote. While I like the scenes I have, and think those scenes individually are paced well enough, the whole book feels pretty rushed - I'm not sure how exactly to describe it, except that there doesn't seem to be a lot of room to breathe. Things keep happening.

Anyone who maybe encountered this, how did you go about fixing the problem? I don't want to add scenes just for the sake of adding scenes, and I don't necessarily want to slow down what I have too much, but I don't want the whole thing to feel like it's prepping for a train wreck. >.<

It sounds like your characters are very busy taking action, but they're not taking time to regroup, rethink, and/or recharge. Those types of scenes perform a crucial role in any story.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
It sounds like your characters are very busy taking action, but they're not taking time to regroup, rethink, and/or recharge. Those types of scenes perform a crucial role in any story.
This.

More information on one theory of pacing in chapter 8 of "Scenes & Structures" by Jack M. Bickham. ( link )

-cb

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all, for the advice! (And the reading rec! :) )

I'll check that book out and take the next read more slowly with all these thoughts in mind. Much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.