Advice wanted on a character in two separate stories

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
Some time ago, I wrote a children's fantasy in which one of the major characters (a sort of friend and advisor to the MC) was a talking squirrel based on Ratatosk, the squirrel in Norse mythology who ran up and down Yggdrasil the World Ash Tree delivering hostile messages between the eagle at the top and the dragon Nidhog at the bottom. (It also included versions of Yggdrasil, the eagle, and Nidhog, though depicted as more the originals behind the myth than directly the same as the myth, and even with different names; at one point, the squirrel tells the MC that he'd always been surprised that the Vikings he'd informed about the "Great Tree" repeated that information as accurately as they did - especially in light of how much mead they had sloshing about inside them at the time.)

More recently (following some unsuccessful attempts to get that fantasy published), I was inspired to write a retelling of the Norse myths narrated by Ratatosk, and gave him much the same characterization as the talking squirrel in my earlier children's fantasy (including an interpretation of his errand common to both works - he's not keen on being the messenger for the eagle and the dragon, but they made it clear to him that if he doesn't co-operate, he'll be a snack for whichever one he says "No" to first). I liked the retelling, but one thing held me back from working on it further and getting it into a condition where I could submit it to agents and publishers: a fear that it might be more difficult, if it was accepted and published, to submit that earlier children's fantasy (while my take on Ratatosk or his "original" was the same in both works - with whatever differences being largely his role; in the children's fantasy, he was a guide to the MC, while in the retelling, he was the narrator - a sort of Ishmael/Nick-type narrator in being the one who tells the story but tends largely to observe the events - they were set in separate worlds). Would having two similar takes on the same mythological figure, but set in different universes, make it difficult to have both published?

JPRoth

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see a problem with using the same character in different ways and in different worlds. In the second he is the narrator/viewpoint character, unlike in the first. Suggest you might want to revisit your character if, indeed, he sounds the same in both stories. IMO, the shift in character focus and dynamic would also change how the character expresses thoughts, interprets story events, etc. Hope the feedback is of some use.

JP

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
You might be overthinking this. If you finish this one and get it published--congratulations! At that point, it is possible the publisher or agent may want to take a look at the first book, or they might have you write something else with the same character, or they might want something completely different.

I'm getting ready to send out a manuscript for my MG novel. I have three others I'd written before that I like in varying degrees. If this latest one is picked up, I would like to have someone take a second look at these previous works, and if they decide to pass on them, that's okay. The fact that I'd written three novels no one wanted wouldn't bother me if I knew they helped build up those writing skills that, God willing, got my fourth endeavor some attention.

I'd just focus on doing the best possible job you can on this book and worry about the rest when you need to worry about it.

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I've decided to continue with both books (for now, focusing on the second book, the one that was Norse mythology straight). I'll see how things work out from there.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Adding to the comments above, if you're in the revisions process, it's possible the character will change enough that a new name in one will solve the problem. Revision is all about change after all.

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
Adding to the comments above, if you're in the revisions process, it's possible the character will change enough that a new name in one will solve the problem. Revision is all about change after all.

I'm not sure how likely that is, since the revisions so far aren't making any substantial difference to his characterization - and don't seem likely to in the future. But thanks, anyway.