Bruce Lee biopic criticized for making him secondary to a fictional white friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-37570803

Fans of Bruce Lee are criticising a new biopic of the late martial arts legend, accusing it of "whitewashing and burying" his legacy.

Birth of the Dragon follows the kung fu star's early years in the US and showcases his controversial fight with master Wong Jack Man in 1964.

Directed by George Nolfi, the movie debuted at the Toronto Film Festival.

Many said US actor Billy Magnussen, who played fictional friend Steve McKee, became the "unfair focus" of the movie ...

One said: "The plot was terrible and the casting choice was even worse. How is it possible that the main character became a sidekick to a Caucasian man?"

Director George Nolfi has defended his film.

"To be able to watch this white guy become a fully formed man, with Bruce Lee and Wong Jack Man becoming these surrogate father figures to him, even though they were about the same age… I thought that was very unusual in Hollywood filmmaking," he told Deadline.com.

But Lee's daughter Shannon has distanced herself from the biopic and has announced plans for a second Bruce Lee movie, currently in the works.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Seriously?! Bruce Lee isn't an interesting enough person to headline his own biopic?!

Though of course, the director won't just admit that the studio wouldn't bankroll a picture with an Asian guy front and center. Even though Bruce Lee was one of the most badass mother-effers ever, so badass that you have no trouble believing any positive statements said about him. Tell me that Bruce Lee once punched a tank unconscious and I'd have no trouble believing you.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
"To be able to watch this white guy become a fully formed man, with Bruce Lee and Wong Jack Man becoming these surrogate father figures to him, even though they were about the same age… I thought that was very unusual in Hollywood filmmaking," he told Deadline.com.

This is possibly one of the most clueless quotes I have ever seen.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com

Sounds like the plot of quite a few Hollywood movies, tbh.

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad I saw this. Thanks for posting about it. Bruce Lee is one of my heroes. He was more than an amazing martial artist in terms of the punching, kicking, tactics, and strategy of fighting. He was a martial artist on the inside as well. His essays are wonderful. I think this is the book to read to get a good feeling for how he thought about the world: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0804832633/?tag=absowrit-20

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
This is possibly one of the most clueless quotes I have ever seen.

What's next? "To show a heroine who's currently engaged to a cad, but she falls in love with a heroic character and must make a choice which man she'll end up marrying ... This is just such a new concept in a Hollywood film. I'm not sure if the audience will be able to grasp it."

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
"It's a martial arts movie, but we're keeping the main character white and doing the classic white savior deal: white guy with an Asian mentor saves the day."

"So what makes this one different from the 5,000 other movies we've made like this?"

"We're making the Asian mentor younger!"

"Brilliant!"

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's a "fictional biography" like the Nicole Kidman movie Fur that was about Diane Arbus. Which I did love, by the way, but know not to take it as real life. Anyway, Bruce Lee deserves better.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Let's just insult the entire 1.2/1.3 billion Chinese people, 'cos that's the best way to compliment them...

/sarcasm

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I understand they also caught some flak for making Bruce Lee come across as extremely arrogant and cocky.

As a martial artist myself, I'm insulted as well at this twisting of Bruce's legacy.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is kind of a common thing in movies where the subject of the film is reduced to a supporting character because the producers want a White face playing a lead role.

I'm thinking of Cry Freedom, a film ostensibly about the South African activist, Steve Biko, but instead is just another Black and White buddy flick with the character who should be the centerpiece being nothing but the tragic catalyst that awakens the White character as Roger Ebert wrote in his review:

"Cry Freedom" begins with the story of a friendship between a white liberal South African editor and an idealistic young black leader who later dies at the hands of the South African police. But the black leader is dead and buried by the movie's halfway point, and the rest of the story centers on the editor's desire to escape South Africa and publish a book. You know there is something wrong with the premise of this movie when you see that the actress who plays the editor's wife is billed above the actor who plays the black leader. This movie promises to be an honest account of the turmoil in South Africa but turns into a routine cliff-hanger about the editor's flight across the border. It's sort of a liberal yuppie version of that Disney movie where the brave East German family builds a hot-air balloon and floats to freedom. The problem with this movie is similar to the dilemma in South Africa: Whites occupy the foreground and establish the terms of the discussion, while the 80 percent non-white majority remains a shadowy, half-seen presence in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.