Published Interviews

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I have interviewed approximately fifty well known songwriters, which were published in several books and a number of magazines. All of the books are now out of print with the rights reverted to me. As far as the magazine pieces, most of them appeared in a magazine that granted me permission to use any of my old articles and interviews as long as I credit them. A publisher is interested in putting out a collection of my songwriter interviews in a new book. Do I need to get permissions all over again beyond the original ones? A number (eight) of these songwriters are now deceased. Do I need permission from the subjects to use magazine articles in a book? There will also be new interviews, for which I will definitely obtain permission.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I suppose it would depend on what if any promises were made during the interview that might be binding. It seems to me that if you are directly reprinting the material, all you need is proof that you hold the necessary rights to the material. The subject has already consented to their part. But I am no lawyer.