Where do you get images for your blog?

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a blog with multiple pages and posts. I like to include images on each if possible, and most of the time I can use my own photos.

But now I want an image of giraffes or elephants walking along the horizon with a sunset behind them. Unfortunately, I've never been to Africa so can't use my own photos! ;)

For another project years ago I bought images off iStock, but their prices have gone up a lot and free would be better if possible. Ok, thinking to myself: I need to find images published under a Creative Commons license, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_license

I know a lot of people just grab pictures off the internet and use them on their own blogs, but I'm not doing that. Do you have a favorite place to look for free images? Flickr maybe?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Wikimedia Commons is a good place to start. If you use Flickr, even if you search only for images that are available under Creative Commons, make sure you check the fine print on each. For some reason (maybe photographer recently changed status?), I sometimes get images that are not licensed for reuse coming up on those searches.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Pixabay.com is a big one for me. Probably my first choice.
Unsplash.com
RPBStock.com
Flickr. Yup, really.
A list of 30+ sites

And an interesting caution about using Creative Commons images, especially from Flickr. I'd guess this is not at all a huge issue though.

I just had a very cursory look through one of those and some of the photos are wildly misidentified, so use with caution (as always).

This one, for example, is out by about 1500km. This one by about 16,000 km.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
That's true and it's disappointingly common. Still, this is one of the best filters I know - it greatly narrows down possible good results.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Good point. When you're doing a Google Image search, click Tools, then Usage Rights. There are several filters you can apply there.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Most images on government web sites are in the public domain, at least in the U. S. You do have to check whether a particular image IS free, however, since they sometimes host images from other sources which may have restrictions.

NASA has literally millions of pd images, especially of astronomical subjects.

YouTube allows you to embed most of their videos in your blog. Especially if the video is a preview of an up-coming movie or TV show, the owners of the video are happy to let you embed such a video, as you are giving them free advertising by doing so. As always, however, you should check to be sure if that is true of a particular video.

Last edited:

Ruuzart

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I see a few images that Wordpress has suggested, I have not looked to deeply into it though. I think the main issue I have is because I do lots of reviews of items such as books and movies, can I use their covers? I heard from a lecture my Simon Savidge that if you take the picture yourself, then perhaps that image of the book cover can be used on a blog - even if it is monetise.
Can someone confirm if the above is true?
From
Ru

L. OBrien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingradically.wordpress.com
I think the main issue I have is because I do lots of reviews of items such as books and movies, can I use their covers?

I could never figure that out either (I don't expressly run a review blog, so I never had occasion to look very far into it), but I'd be interested to know if you get an answer.

Another good website: pixabay.com. Their editor's choice images are really nice.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I have is because I do lots of reviews of items such as books and movies, can I use their covers?

I could never figure that out either

Usually the publicity departments for movies, TV shows, books, etc. not only allow bloggers to link to their images and video previews but encourage it, though you should double check for a specific image/video. Word of mouth - including that via blogs - is by far the main way art gets prospective and actual buyers.

Wordpress makes it especially easy to link to YouTube and other video sites and so embed a video in your blog posts.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I see a few images that Wordpress has suggested, I have not looked to deeply into it though. I think the main issue I have is because I do lots of reviews of items such as books and movies, can I use their covers?

Absolutely yes for reviews ... it falls under the fair use commentary clause in US copyright. Showing a picture of what you are writing about (or selling) does not infringe on copyright.

If you look on the website for the publisher or movie company you can usually find images in various resolutions for use in news and reviews, with how they want it credited.

(In my previous life as a technical writer, I did a lot of this because I would be explaining how to use another company's product with my employer's products)

Ruuzart

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely yes for reviews ... it falls under the fair use commentary clause in US copyright. Showing a picture of what you are writing about (or selling) does not infringe on copyright.

If you look on the website for the publisher or movie company you can usually find images in various resolutions for use in news and reviews, with how they want it credited.

Hi,
Thanks for all your replies, just to confirm would the same apply in the UK?
From
Ru

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
*delurks*

There are a number of professional stock photo sites you can use, if you want to go the hi-res, licensing route: shutterstock, istock, getty, 500px are but a few. You'll often find price breaks if you buy bundles, rather than photo by photo. Make sure you read the attribution rights.

Some free / creative commons arenas as mentioned above: 500px has some creative commons photos that are of high quality (I suck at trying to figure this out at times, so if someone has that nailed down, I'd love to hear the secret...I'm always staring at those going "did I do the search right? is this REALLY cc license?"), Flickr does as well (check the CC license level for attribution particulars; and also they aren't supposed to be able to do take-backsees once they've set something as a creative commons license, meaning they shouldn't be able to claim it's all rights reserved later, but proving that seems to be a sticky-wicket on Flickr later), pixabay, usplash. Getty images has an embed option for bloggers for non-commercial use, but be careful you read all the terms. And embedding doesn't exactly play nice with all of Wordpress's features.

You can also use Google's advanced image search features that will include attribution information, but you should always go to the original source site to verify it IS the source site and the licensing info is correct. Better safe than sorry, folks. And don't just grab it off Google - poor quality and potential low res, among many other reasons.

Also, a few warnings I often share at my day job where I have to police this very thing in presentations our technical experts/scientists like to make:

1. Do not Google grab. Ever. Google grabs are bad, m'kay? So's a Bing grab :p Also, don't randomly swipe images from other sites/blogs/tumblr, etc. You are asking for trouble. Like say, if you swipe a professional Getty image? Woooo mama, that could be an EXPENSIVE mistake. Because they will hunt you down. (Seriously, not kidding. Getty is known for that.) And hey, as a writer, you wouldn't like it if someone just swiped your story or words and posted it on their site as their own, right?
2. Make sure you understand the attribution rules if you are using a photo under Creative Commons. And if you don't like the particulars that the owner of said photo is asking for in the credits, then don't use the photo.
3. All rights reserved means hands off, Bub. Unless you desperately want THAT photo or THAT digital work of art, then ask for permission. In writing. This is called cover your butt.
4. When in doubt, don't use it. Find something else.
5. Public domain means you don't have to give credit, but hey, it's kinda nice, so if it makes sense...why not give the owner some love?

Using your own art/photos is always the easiest, but also bear in mind that once you put it out there...remember rule number one above? M'yeah. Not everybody follows that. So give that a little thought before you sling your photos and art out there, too.

*goes back to lurking*

Pat Waldron

Registered
Reaction score
Website
readandwritelikeawriter.blogspot.com
I'm paranoid about using images...

I'm paranoid about using free images. I little dose of paranoia with help you.

Even with the big ones, there's a danger of unlicensed photos going up. (somebody puts up a photo that doesn't belong to them--you use it and you get in trouble) I have a few tricks for dealing with this.

I use the print screen button/screen shot to copy the images from the web page. This way I have the URL of the image and the hosting site in my records. I try to mouse over so the date and time appear in the image. The sites I use also have the creative commons mention on the page. I think this is important even when you purchase the photos because I imagine the photos will get sold back and forth also.

If you don't know how to do screen shots keep these things in mind:

1. Name the file with the name of the stock site.
  2. Put the date, just in case your file manager changes it.
  3. Keep a copy of the site's use agreement. Know it. This will help.

I use a lot of sites: unlsplash.com, pixabay.com, freeimages.com.

Another thing I do, is I copy the image and paste it into google image search. I am looking to see if it's used broadly. I don't need unique images. I want images everybody uses. Safety in numbers.